aaa tip and tricks for pro-mixes - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/42             22-Feb-02  @  09:09 PM   -   tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

1) Insert a 2band eq or two in to the reverb chain to high and lowpass filter your reverbs. This cleans them up and they shimmer nicley.
2) #1 also works on delays
3)use a chorus/flanger as a splitter to make subrtactor synths have stereo out. select bypass. This will make #4 possible.
4)insert a delay into one channel of each stereo track. Alternate between delaying the left and right channels of all of your tracks, except the kick and bass, between 1-50ms. This will open up the mix and give new life and space to all your sounds. Works wonders on snares, pads, and hi-hats rolls giveing the last an auto pan effect you hear on Hybrid, Uberzone, etc. You may have two play with the wet dry mix on the drums. Solo out the track and get it right. Most synth parts work best 100% wet, but snares are trickier requiring 1-3ms, and %10-%50 wet.
5)to get thick unison synths , use 3-4 subtractors submixed to one mixer. Use two of the same osc on each subtractor. Sequence out your entire song, and then when you have the track with all filter tweaks done, copy the midi to the other two tracks, and copy the patch two the other two synths. If you make changes you will need to recopy the midi over and the patch over again.
6)Export some of your one hit sweeps and stabs. Load them into an editor like wavelab or soungeforge. reverse them, then load them back into an empry NN19 and assign them to a key. You can do this by hitting the file button at the top of the display window. Works great for creating reversed snares,hats, sweeps strings etc. I also loaded an 808 kick that I use for old school pitched kcik drum.
7)if yoiu have rebirth take advantage of loading those standard aiff files into a Redrum. They are locared in the propellorheads\modpacker\standard componants file. 909 kicks and hats never let me down.
8)For Sonar users,if you have a multi-channel sound card like a dspfactory, you can run Reason with Sonar. I use this for tracking vocals. You just select no audio in reason. launch Sonar, then select the directx driver in reason. Put those headphones on and set up you input buss to recieve audio from only the mic in and away you go, then load the vocals into a NN19 after they have been compressed using a waves RCL or other nice plug-in comp. You can sync reason to Sonar using Hubi's loopback virtual midi ports.

Goodluck. I will be posting up some very usfull subtractor patches in this thread. I encourage you to add your ideas and patches as well.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/42             22-Feb-02  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett B

sound examples of reson in use are up on my home page.

Message 3/42             22-Feb-02  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

milan

good tips. a mate of mine uses most of them to a very good effect.

say, do you maybe know what phase modulation on Substractor does? is it something like ringmod? i´m trying to recreate a patch done in Reason on my uQ, but cant quite crack it... help appreciated.

cheers, M.

Message 4/42             22-Feb-02  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett B

phase mod creates a double waveform by putting an identical wave next the original.the mode buttons moves the led up for add and down for minus, and middle is none. so you are adding the sum of the waves or subtracting the diferance bassed on the amount of the phase knob. The subtractor is capable of those thick double saw sounds as well as rounding out square waves. I really love this synth. I haven't found an analog sound I can't make with it.

Message 5/42             23-Feb-02  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett B

File?:  File

mix_example.rns

I have recieved some e-mails requesting more info, here is the mixer set up I used on the house tune. Everything is the same including the patches,minus the music and automation data. Just go from sequecer track to track and build your own song. See how I set up the channel delays, reverb eq's, and patches etc. You need to have rebirth installed for it to find the kick drum and hats used.

Message 6/42             25-Feb-02  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

bedwyr

don't use reason myself, but this a really usefull idea. keep it up, i say.

Message 7/42             26-Feb-02  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett B

Link?:  No link

Got a new e-mail asking "how to get stereo in Reason" Good question because really what you are getting is "Big Mono", meaning there are two channels but they are the same. Before I mentioned using a delay inserted in one side to widen the mix. This works wonders but is reserved for mids and highs. Especially if you are going to vinyl. You see, the lathe can't cut an out of phase bass tone without damaging the record or tip. So to make sure you don't have this issue , monitor in mono and stereo on one speaker. If your bass changes then it is out of phase. A good example of this in my track "spores" (funky mold mix). A 303 bandpass line comes in in the middle. It sounds like it is jumping out of the speakers. This is out of phase and done intentionally, but would not be appropriate for vinyl. So to get true stereo , simply route your two cahnnels to the left input of two adjacent mixer channels. Now you can pan them independant of each other. Don't hard pan , start with 9:00 and 3:00, or variations ex-10:00 and 3:00 or 2:00 and 9:00. A good way the pro's mix is by getting it to sound good in stereo and then monitoring in mono on one speaker and nuging the pan in tiny increments to see if it pops out in the mix better. Also, only use the mono , left return on your reverb. Stereo reverb tends to muddy the mix. If you want to pan the reverb, run it back to a regular mixer channel instead of the fx return.

Message 8/42             26-Feb-02  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett B

Pre-delay! A good reverb has it so you can make the dry and wet sound simaltainiusly. To do it in reason , insert a dely into the dry side of stereo channel and the reverb into the other. Set the delay to any amount wanted, now adjust you sequenced data to happen one earlier to match the amount of delay added.

Message 9/42             26-Feb-02  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett B

Multing! this is a technique used to send groups to a compressor and then mix back with the uncompressed siganl. Start by connecting your one channel of your kick and snare to the left input of two mixer channels. Now run the other two right channels from the redrum into the inputs of a compressor, Compress the hell out of them and run the output back to the mixer and bring it up ever so lightly under the original non compressed kick and snare. The idea is to make that snare and kick pump underneath. This works on bass and vocals as well!

Message 10/42             27-Feb-02  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

knowa

Link?:  Link

that's a damn good trick with the pre-delay. I never would have thought of that. I don't believe what they say about you, brett ;) I can't wait to try that. not that I'm so worried about predelay or anything.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot