aaa another stupid drum roll question - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: another stupid drum roll question

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             13-Jun-02  @  12:29 PM   -   another stupid drum roll question

sitar

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Can't find the thread in another forum that had some suggestions on this. I hear those trance drumrolls or Underworld's awesome drumrolls. When I put sample hits in a row to make drumrolls they almost always sound too "woody" for lack of a better word. How does one create a roll that sounds smooth? Is it serious compression on the hits so that they melt together? Is it enveloping the hits?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             13-Jun-02  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

Drop

Link?:  No link

Ramping the velocity and decreasing the decay time of the snare more and more as the roll reaches its end.

Message 3/14             13-Jun-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

knowa

also, if your emulating a real drummer, the first hit is not the softest; it gets quieter quickly then louder slowly

ex. velocity:

60 50 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

or something like that. I bet I learned that from one of K's articles. and it makes sense if you know how to play a drum roll.

Message 4/14             14-Jun-02  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

sitar

Thanks. That's all good stuff, but each singular hit when sounds too harsh and stringing them together sounds way too harsh. Maybe it's the samples you start with that make a difference. I've gotten rolls to sound good in the past without doing much but changing speed and velocity. Just wondering if there has to be a certain type of snare or whatever or if one needs to put a slower attack on each hit so they don't sound so brittle.

Message 5/14             14-Jun-02  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

milan

Link?: Link

are you asking which snare for drumrolls??? sitar, you know better than that!  

Message 6/14             14-Jun-02  @  02:53 PM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

knowa

what about mapping velocity to attack?

Message 7/14             15-Jun-02  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

Nexodus

Not asking which snare. Just wondering why some of my samples have worked in the past and others more recently don't. Been thinking of doing rolls with something other than drums too. Dog barks or something. They'd get faster/closer together and at the peak it'd sound like a rottweiler tearing your leg off. Psycho-delic trance!

Message 8/14             18-Jun-02  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

proximus

I'm not sure if this helps or if its just stupid, but what if you lower the volume of the snareroll?

Maybe you could make bigger attack slope?

Message 9/14             19-Jun-02  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

Brett

also make sure the snare sample is not polyphonic or it will sustain over the next hit, snares should gate if struck again before the end of a sustain. If using a kit in sampler, you need to go down to the sample level and set that up. Reason drums are already monophonic, but some sample player like LM4, or RMF will sustain after retrigering.

Message 10/14             19-Jun-02  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: another stupid drum roll question

knowa

so you don't need Pro Tools?

;)

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot