aaa what chipset for trance? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: what chipset for trance?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/39             04-Jul-02  @  04:12 PM   -   what chipset for trance?

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok, i´m almost ready to get out of stone ages and get a new pc...

so... i have an Echo Gina20 soundcard. would something like ASUS A7V333 and Athlon xp be ok, or is this a no-no because of Via KT chipset? Echo site says KT133 is ok, but this is a KT333 and i have no idea really... i actually hate pc´s, so please clue me in.

muchos gracias, M.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/39             04-Jul-02  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

bump :P

Message 3/39             04-Jul-02  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

Link?:  Link

well... hard to say, but bandwidth speeds for 2700 ram would be well worth it not to mention 166 bus/ata, if it all worked.. I cant see any reason why it'd NOT, but.... you know the old pc adage about waiting.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/39             04-Jul-02  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

mind you, I too am building soon ... shall I take a risk on it too?...   - I'm VERY tempted at around 200 quid for a ram/board.cpu package  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/39             04-Jul-02  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

xoxos

you guys are kidding. my 1.2g has plenty of headroom. 24 tracks of vsti and fx usually puts me around 50, 60%

Message 6/39             04-Jul-02  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

hm. i think i´m sold on that EPox 8KHA+ thingy... well see. looks plenty stable and cheap to boot.

Message 7/39             05-Jul-02  @  01:57 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

he's right of course, it's silly stuff, my kid makes great musc on his duron and get tons of tracks and plugins & no pops & crackles.

Message 8/39             05-Jul-02  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

influx

8kha+ and XP1700+ here. 512mb PC2100

SO fucking fast. I am amazed every time I do anything with it!

running 24+ tracks right now and its not even touching (less than 10%) the disk or CPU.

Message 9/39             05-Jul-02  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

what soundcard, herr influx? i thought _that_ would be the deciding factor?

Message 10/39             05-Jul-02  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Si

To be honest, if I was building a machine from scratch again I'd go Intel. Their processors, like the 2.0a can be over-clocked to like 2.6 with the standard heatsink. It's also priced around the same if not less than the equivelant AMD processor.

If you were to go Intel, you could have a much quieter machine because they (Northwoods) run so much cooler. You don't need case fans, only the CPU fan, and even the stock fan is very silent.

I've got a 1.4 Athlon and it pisses me off with the amount of noise it generates. I tried to compromise between noise and temperature but it's not very easy with AMD. Currently I'm running at nearly 60 celcius all the time, which is quite high. I could turn the fans to full, but that'd make way too much noise.

If you have to go AMD, don't bother with the 333 bus speeds, as the performance increase is negligable compared to the extra cost. Get a good 266 board with some 2100 memory (all of it would be very cheap now) and you'll be flying.

Si.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)