aaa Pitching Up Drums - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Pitching Up Drums

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             20-Dec-02  @  09:43 AM   -   Pitching Up Drums

Steve Webster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been pitching up my drum samples lately and I think the drums sound better for it. I use the exs 24 and have been raising the pitch by 1, 2 and 3 ( I think thats semi tones - anyone?) and the energy of the track increases. Is this a common practice amoung you guys?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             20-Dec-02  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

k

Link?:  Link

nope, not for me, I know what you mean tho - pitching up makes shorter tighter sounds, but some samples can suffer from re-tuning, depends what you're after I guess.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12             20-Dec-02  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

Steve Webster

Cheers K. I do pitch all my samples, hits, loops etc to the same key within Acid before I import them into the exs 24 though. Do you think that solves the re-tuning issues you mentioned?

Message 4/12             20-Dec-02  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

k

Link?:  Link

could do for overall tuning, sometimes percussion or other drums 'sit' better when tuned right, I just mean that some samples (especialy cymbals) seem to sound odd when pitch is changed. But yes, for other drums, tuning can make a difference cos the tone of the drum will merge with other things like a bassline etc to create harmonic overtones.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/12             20-Dec-02  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

milan

Link?: Link

i sometimes do that, but not often at all, and then probably to percussions/fills then to the main beat. also, when i do it, i do it with the pitch wheel and then draw in the controller at the beginning of a track when i´ve finaly settled on a value.

Message 6/12             20-Dec-02  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

errata

I do it ALL THE TIME!!! especially for faster tempos. I'f I'm writing a chill track around 120 or lower I usualy leave 'em alone... But any faster and I start pitching them up a bit! It provides a lot more energy. Fast tracks sound sluggish when the drum hits lower.

My trance tracks are deliberately hard hitting, fairly aggressive, and I always thought this had something to do with it! That, and tube amp simulation on my kick drums!

Cheers..

e

Message 7/12             21-Dec-02  @  12:39 AM     Edit: 21-Dec-02  |  01:08 AM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

milan

errata... you seem to post an awfull lot at these forums lately, and your oppinions seem interesting. but you know, i dont think i've ever heard one of your tracks. how about it?

Message 8/12             22-Dec-02  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

errata

he he... I'm Lazy... I don't have an MP3 encoder that goes low enough for DT specs and I keep meaning to do something about it... shrug! (soundforge is all I have and it won't encode below 64)

I'm workin on it. I posted some stuff a few years ago, but it's not even close to what I'm up to now. I'd like to see what ya all think. I've been here off and on for years...

e

Message 9/12             22-Dec-02  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

Breakerbox

why do i do everything the other way.. i started pitching mine down so they sound like hiphop drumz for Breaks t 140... but then i get rid of the low end and put a harpe kick.. so you guys think the shorter drums work better?

Message 10/12             06-Jan-03  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: Pitching Up Drums

horizens

shorter drums can sound a bit tighter and clean up a
track which is why i do it. not drastcially though. really
depends on what you're after.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot