aaa Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             13-Feb-03  @  04:44 AM   -   Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

Subba

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What do u guys think? As far as quality of sounds
and ease of use. Do any of you use both? what would u rather have..?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             13-Feb-03  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

influx

Link?: Link

apples and oranges, innit?

Q = digital wavetable type thing? or..something like that

andromeda = real analog

even the price difference is pretty drastic

Message 3/18             13-Feb-03  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

Maarten

I thought Q was 'just' VA.... Microwave XT is more of a wavetable synth

Message 4/18             13-Feb-03  @  11:04 AM     Edit: 13-Feb-03  |  11:04 AM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

milan

Q= full-on va + wavetables + fm.

Andromeda= straight up analog.

Message 5/18             13-Feb-03  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

nomad

the Q wavetables are limited compared to the XT implementation. but it does have a couple.

Message 6/18             14-Feb-03  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

Pongoid

different boxes, however, for the interface, I'd say the Q. The A6 sounds REALLY good, but in the limited time I spent messing with it, it didn't strike me as sounding like traditional analog at all. Maybe I just did't spend the right time with it. The prce differnce is enormous. For the price, I'd get the Q+ if it was between the A6 and the Waldorf. Simliar size, and the Q+ has the same filters as the Pulse, plus all of the synthesis options of the Q. I dunno, if you're gonna spend that kind of cash, your ears need to be telling you, so go try one of each out. Even if you have to take a trip to do it. You're talking about thousands of dollars, so you yourself better be DAMN sure of what you want. That also means that you make the sales folks wait on you hand foot and tongue. We're not talking about a groovebox or cables, it's a multi-thousand dollar synthesizer, and it deserves a little explanation from whoever you are giving those bills to. Good luck.

Ape

Message 7/18             14-Feb-03  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

hydrobilly

As an andromeda owner, i thought i'd speak up for an awesome synth. Dont have much experience on the Q, but i love some of the waldorf products too. Honestly, if you are considering the andromeda, it would be good to have a little programming background in yas. The newest OS now provides Sysex codes for every single knob and modulation function on the synth...controler 1739 is LFO 3....you get the idea. The layering function ( for playing multiple patches at once) can be tricky and meticulous, and sometimes it is difficult to get the patches to sound exactly the same was when you wrote them in program mode. But once you get used to toggling through alot of menus, its all good. But basically what it boils down to is that sequencing with this beast can be a bit of a hassle, but the results are really beautiful sometimes. oh yeah, and only half the onboard effects are any good, but the various values of some of the specific effects can be controlled ( included in) the mod matrix.

Good things: This synth is fvcking RAW. Ignore the presets....you gotta dig deep into this synth and really milk it. the 7 stage envelopes ( digital) are really sweet, and the layout of the knobs and OS / UI in general are really intuitive once you understand the programming 'style'. I LOVE the filters on this thing. 1 4-pole and 1 2-pole...both the IC chips ( actually there are 32, 2 for each voice), are liscenced from Moog and Oberheim. But you prolly already knew that if you have been researching it. Ribbon controller is great, and with the all the possibilities on the MOD matrix, you can programm it to control OSC freq, filter freqency, and say Frequency Modulation all at once, the results of which you can imagine.

Anyway i could ramble about this thing all day...but before you buy, go to sonic state ( i know there is a particular disdain for Sonic state here, but thier reviews are legit and varied in opinion).

Yeah, i would say pick up the andromeda if you discover you like its sound, but i recomend finding a used one, which you can get for around 2200 US $ if you look around.

Have fun

$0£!D

Message 8/18             15-Feb-03  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

a.d.d.

yeah, sonic state is real unbiased. that's why the average user rating for every single piece of gear is 4.3 out of 5 or higher. if you go by those ratings everthing's a classic...

Message 9/18             16-Feb-03  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

R.A.T.

I WANT THEM ALL!!!!!!

Message 10/18             17-Mar-03  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: Andromeda or Waldorf Q rack

djjessex

the wald is very metalic and punchy, it has great FM synthesis as well. We us the q so i can recommend it. But if you can afford a A6, get one! BT used it in his movement in still life album. it has real analog oscillators.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot