aaa note cut off bug due to decay? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: note cut off bug due to decay?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             24-Jul-03  @  06:43 AM   -   note cut off bug due to decay?

queasy00

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

so odd!

i'm on a virusb.

ok... i have a pretty boring ol' bassline playing evenly on and between every beat. it sounds ok.

now i add a little pad thing and sometimes the bass note on the fourth beat or in between the fourth beat and the first beat of the next measure cuts.

now i know it's NOT polyphony because the pad does not use unison, no sub oscillator, etc. ALSO, when i dialup another bass patch it's ok.

ok, but this is what i found out. the particular bass patch i'm using has assign 2 on the mod matrix set with the source being AmpEnv and the first destination being AmpDecay: -30. The second destination is off.

when i turn the AmpDecay Destination more +'ve a bit, it stops cutting notes, but when i leave it at around -30 or lower it cuts! How perculiar! Has anyone else encountered such a thing? What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be of major help... wtf!? ok.. sorry... i can't even spoke engloosh ezmeoar (it's late).

Thanks for any help!

-j
ps: yah, i tried the ol' restart too (well, just restarting the virus). it's hooked up to an rm1x.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             28-Jul-03  @  07:00 AM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

mcc>

Link?:  No link

wish i could help you queaz but i'm just now learning how to use the multi/single mode.
and you can bet i can lose a sound as fast i can conjure it.

boy is this thing fun to get lost in!

Message 3/17             28-Jul-03  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

99devils

Sounds like the decays are getting really long and you're running out of poly. Seriously.

Try soloing the bass and see what you can hear - does it ring for a long time?

-Craig

Message 4/17             28-Jul-03  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

Stefan

Link?: Link

Envelope decay modulated by the envelope itself with a negative amount lengthens the decay time and makes it concave.
Your bass track most supposedly produces many overlapping notes due to the long decay and the Virus runs out of voices.

If you like to read an exact explanation you should download Howard Scarrs programming tutorial from www.access-music.de.
Page 25 and 26

Message 5/17             28-Jul-03  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

queasy00

there's one thing i don't understand:

this is decay time and NOT release time. the bass notes are only half-beat long and they do not overlap. also, amp release is set to 0.

so when the note gets released, it should sound off thus freeing polyphony. that means at any given time, it should only be using 1 note (well, maybe two depending on timing at the border of beats and half beats) right?

-j

Message 6/17             28-Jul-03  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

Steve Roughley

Have you played around with multi part priority? This controls which sounds get priority over others when dealing with multitimbrality (god that word is hard to type). Another possible cause, though not much help to you, is the Virus could quite simply be glitching, a problem that is very common with the Virus. It is capable of all manner of weird problems. In which case you may want to try re-installing the OS, or even try an earlier OS.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 7/17             28-Jul-03  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

queasy00

hey..
yeah, i actually thought of the priority thing. it's just that the bass is one note poly and the other synth line on top is about...2 or 3 note poly soo...

also, when i switch the part to another bass sample, it goes away (and they're both low priority).

i dunno... i think the two answers above are on the right track tho.. it *sounds* right.. i just can't get over the decay vs release thing --ie. it shouldn't happen unless i was modulating release right?

-j
ps: i've since wiped that sound, but wouldn't mind knowing the answer still  

pss: reinstalling os always scares me ;( i have this paranoia about losing all my sounds -lol

Message 8/17             28-Jul-03  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

Steve Roughley

The paranoia is justified! Just read my post right below this one!

Steve.

Message 9/17             28-Jul-03  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

psylichon

Link?: Link

If it's just a monophonic bassline, can you set the program to mono mode on the virus? I'm sure you can, to properly use legato and portamento. Try that and see if it still does it. If so, it might be the rm1x?

Message 10/17             28-Jul-03  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: note cut off bug due to decay?

queasy00

i actually set it to mono once.. but i'm not sure if i did it because of the problem.

you're right tho... i would not be surprised at all if it was the rm1x. hell whenever i start with a fresh pattern and hit "backsp.." i mean "rewind" it resets my program on the virus. (i know.. i have an old os version).

speaking of pieces of gear that act like bullies, my keyboard (well, my friend's keyboard which i'm borrowing indefinately) resets things too if i turn it on first before the rest of the gear.

what an asshole eh?

anyway.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who's paranoid ;) geez.. just wait until the internal battery runs out --i swear i'm gonna have a heart attack.
-j

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot