aaa Please Help - A-Station Users! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Please Help - A-Station Users!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             12-Sep-03  @  03:16 AM   -   Please Help - A-Station Users!

Brett Electric

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there,

I'm using an A-station with OS 1.06.

I'm experiencing high pitched crackles and clicks when I apply the delay effect to a fast sequence of notes (eg. Arpeggiator settings, but it also happens when I send a rapid sequence in from my computer or sequencer). Turing the delay down and off lessens and eliminates the crackling respectively.
The crackling is irregular and doesn't seem to be related to the pattern being played at all.

I've upgraded to OS 1.06, and no one I've spoken to has been able to shed any light on the problem (Novation haven't returned any of my e-mails).

Has anyone else noticed anything like this at all or is my A-station stuffed?
Is this the normal operation of the unit?
Or am I the only one putting delay on arpeggios?

Any help would be mooost appreciated.

I don't want to have to abuse Novation on the WWW in order to get some help like some posters on this forum  

Thanks,

Brett

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             12-Sep-03  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

Broken Silence

Can't help you there, but are you sure you sent them the email right? Every time I've sent them emails they responded really quickly. They even sent me (overseas) 4 new outputs for my nova free of charge...

Message 3/14             13-Sep-03  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

Brett Electric

I've tried and have extensively tried the local distributors -'Innovative Music' (Melbourne, Australia), but to no avail. I can't find contact details at the Novation website for non-British users - am I missing something?

Any alternative suggestions (contacts etc.) would be very useful.

Thanks for your time,

Brett.

Message 4/14             13-Sep-03  @  04:49 PM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

Broken Silence

If I remember correctly, there should be a "contact us" tab or something at their website. I found it pretty easily...

Message 5/14             13-Sep-03  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

milan

Link?: Link

you're not overloading the outputs or your mixer by any chance?

Message 6/14             14-Sep-03  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

GrooveMonkey

Yeah, I have the same thing with mine.

Nick from Novation reckoned that the os 1.06 update would fix the problem... but it donsen't. Ever since then they have been no fucking use atall, so I just avoid doing stuff that causes this noise and send novation the odd email saying !fix it you fuckers! but in a nice way

G

Message 7/14             15-Sep-03  @  04:21 AM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

Brett Electric

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I'm pretty sure that I'm not overloading the A-station's outs or my soundcard's ins, as it happens when the volume is down low, and seems to related to the delay effect.

Thanks GrooveMonkey - It's good to know I'm not alone (I just want to be like everyone else).
Someone at Novation or Innovative music told me that OS 1.06 would fix the problemn too, but it didn't.

I dont wan't to have to buy a standalone delay unit simply to compensate for the A-station's failings, so I'll keep hasslin' those who need to be hassled and once again, thanks for the help.

Brett.

Message 8/14             15-Sep-03  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

GrooveMonkey

Just spoke to colin at Novation and he's gonna look into this and ghet back to me tomorrow!

G

Message 9/14             16-Sep-03  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

GrooveMonkey

Link?:  Link

Hurray for Novation!!! Nick just called me back and explained it all... (so damn hard to concentrate when you're stoned!)

Basically he sez that the clock routines were coded to work with jitter free clock signals sent from sequencers. Unfortunately, most sequencers send out a slightly jittery clock.

Many other hardware manufacturers have compensated within their OS for this jitter, Novation on the a-station are not quite there yet, but they are aware of the problem and are going to fix it.

Currently they are launching the remout audio product so there won't be an update to the a-station OS for prolly a couple of months!

But the main thing is they are gonna fix it! Which is nice. Good to see folks supporting their products properly!

G

Message 10/14             16-Sep-03  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: Please Help - A-Station Users!

Nick Bookman

Hi All,

Please note that although some users are finding that the A-Station may be generating clicks when sync'ed to MIDI clock, this is due to the poor quality of MIDI clock being received by the A-Station.
The OS1.06 update for the A-Station compensates for a moderate amount of MIDI clock jitter in a MIDI clock signal but it seems that some sequencers / hosts / MIDI interfaces are producing MIDI clock with very large amounts of jitter indeed.
When a clock signal of this poor quality is sent into the A-Station, the A-Station changes the tempo in accordance with the variation in MIDI clock. In turn, to keep the effects locked to the new tempo, the delay time has to be recalculated and in order to load in the new effects timings, any existing delay has to silenced very quickly. This is the results in a click.
We will be looking into a way to allow for further jitter compensation in an incoming MIDI clock signal in the future.

Best regards,

Nick.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot