aaa that gritty sound - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: that gritty sound

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             27-Oct-03  @  12:24 AM   -   that gritty sound

Stuff

Link?: Link

File?:  File

LosDorados.mp3

Hi folks,
Download this clip and listen to this nice GRITTY sound! I'm very curious about what kind of synthesis they have used.
I guess it easily can be made on any VA-synt (by anyone's grandmother :-) But i've just discovered my intrest in creating those.. crispy wizzy noises.
So how do they make this sound??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             27-Oct-03  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: that gritty sound

Stuff

File?:  No file

Btw, the track is: GMS vs D-tek - Los Dorados

Message 3/14             27-Oct-03  @  12:58 AM     Edit: 27-Oct-03  |  12:59 AM   -   RE: that gritty sound

Maarten

Yeah, I really like those too! Sounds veryu Virus'ish but yer right tho- prolly any VA.. dunno, maybe just a saw, hpf, and modulate the pitch with the env. filter or sumtin. There has been some explanation in these threads some time ago by influx (I thought...). Maybe someone else can say exactly.

-M-

Message 4/14             27-Oct-03  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: that gritty sound

influx

Link?:  Link

sounds like there might be a tiny bit of bit reduction on there, which when used properly makes a filter movement sound like its talking

no idea what kind of synth...but...it definitely sounds like a high pass filter as well

doesnt sound all that gritty to me

Message 5/14             27-Oct-03  @  03:09 AM   -   RE: that gritty sound

Broken Silence

Link?:  No link

Im guessing Filter Overdrive, Distortion, Highpass Filter/s, High resonance, detuned saw wave/pwm pulse, bit reduction, maybe a tad of phasing?

I've made some patches on the virus with FM that sound kinda similar too..

but then again my nova tackles these kinds of sounds all the time with that loverly distortion

Message 6/14             27-Oct-03  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: that gritty sound

queasy00

Link?:  Link

sounds very familiar to that sound from spawn that someone was tryin' to day long long time ago (psy got pretty close).

anyway.. i find that the talking effect is best achieved by using rate reduce (on the virus) along with band pass filter movements. i would guess small bit of shaper saturation + rate reduce + bp filter env.

-j

Message 7/14             27-Oct-03  @  09:01 AM   -   RE: that gritty sound

milan

hah! it actually does sound like spawn! ok...

Message 8/14             27-Oct-03  @  11:51 PM   -   RE: that gritty sound

psylichon

yessss.... i love this sound, too. And yeah, it was me that posted the spawn track before, but have never been really happy with how close I've gotten it.

Anyway, I would experiment with dual bandpass filters where you modulate both the cutoff freq of each filter as well as the seperation between the two filter cutoff points. This will make it "speak"

For the growl, I would mess about with square waves with pulse width modulation. Basically instead of a 50/50 square wave you want more like a 10/90 one, with the smaller percentage being the rising side of the wave. If this doesn't make sense to you let me know and I'll try to elaborate. But I often get a grittier wave this way than compared to saw waves.

Finally, this one sounds like it has some chorus or possibly unison on it. But generally these kinds of touches are thrown in for individual notes to accent.

Message 9/14             28-Oct-03  @  12:03 PM   -   RE: that gritty sound

Stuff

Link?:  No link

Thanks for your replies! i will spare some time and see if i'm able to come up with something like it on my Prophecy (which is the only va-synth i have at my disposal).

Message 10/14             28-Oct-03  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: that gritty sound

Maarten

Prophecy is niiice.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot