aaa New fxpansion drums - crikey!! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             12-Nov-03  @  07:18 PM   -   New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

d-roooool!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             13-Nov-03  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

milan

yup... pretty wicked solution.

Message 3/16             13-Nov-03  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

Defector Z

Wow.

Message 4/16             14-Nov-03  @  03:50 AM     Edit: 14-Nov-03  |  03:50 AM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

psylichon

This one's pretty sick, too

Message 5/16             14-Nov-03  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

k

looks nice , but that's just a sample cd - this new BFD drums is wierd... If you ever read drummer mag and y'know how it shows featured drummers' kit layout-plans from above - well you get that with BFD, and you can actualy choose different mic placement positions as well as different drums - 46 sample layers per drum mate!!!!!!! - recorded in a top studio with 50k's worth of mics!

so it's sample stream playing but with a sortof modelling-style ability in that you can shift the mic placment around etc

but - sadly it arrived today and it's on 2 x DVD disks due to size of the samples required - and i dont have a dvd drive (doh!) - so i can't bloody set it up!

I mailed them to suggest thic could be a problem especialy for music-pc's made to order which rarely have a dvd drive like you get in commercial 'family' pc's

i think they should provide a CD disk-set for an option - I do have to get a DVD drive, but..... I want to PLAY DAMMIT!!!!

Aslo you're going to need some serious pc power for this - the manual recommends setting BFD up on a seperate drive from the OS or audio drive and de-fragging it first etc cos it streams the samples into buffer ram as it works

However... if this delivers like it looks it could this could take THE 'best acoustic drum box s/w' crown, which to my mind currently resides with Battery

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/16             14-Nov-03  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

psylichon

Link?:  Link

hate to say it but most pcs nowadays come with DVD burners. Hard to keep up, eh?

Message 7/16             15-Nov-03  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

k

shop bought ones mebbe - but i never built a dedicated music pc for a client and got asked for one, and know no-one with a dedicated music pc with one.

Message 8/16             15-Nov-03  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

k

given an option they always plump for a CD burner instead

Message 9/16             25-Nov-03  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

k

anyways I added it to the listings until I get the dvd installed - checkout the walkthru shockwave thing - they sent a copy of it over for us to host - it's very informative to 'show you round' the software and it has audio

I also edited together some audio examples into one file and added those as 128kb and 320kb files/streams

This looks FUCKING AMAZING!! - man!!.... the actual drums are shown on the select screen when you put the kit together and it shows the drum photo/image and tech details of the drum -

Like there is one vintage drum snare which only 76 were made, as played by some famous jazz drummer on some top US tv show intro (sorta 'Rat-Pack'/Kruppa jazz drumming type thing) -

The sounds is SOOOOO prestine with HUGE layering which uses streaming to achieve such layering.... and it has additional 'strike' types for drums to model shit like roll-off and roll-on strikes as you pass round the kit etc -

It's almost impossible to tell it from a real drummer in the audio examples - and certainly you'd never guess unless someone told you it was a machine - then you might say "oh yes.... er..." - you THINK you can hear the most tiny, minute subtleties but ... you'd never know if no-one told you to look out for anything and even then - it's questionable

The overall available kits (old to modern) which you can mix and match, plus the ability to use multiple outs and/or the 'room' modelling mic's get's you every sound you could think of from authentic 'old vinyl loops' style & JB etc style drumming, thru classic 70's soul & funk right up to enormous Bonham-esque/Beastie-boy-esque style drums, doom metal, slayer etc etc i that's your bag!

check it out man - you'll be fuckin astounded!

Just load the front-page (STUDIO) company link (left-hand column COMPANIES list) for FXPANSION and choose the BFD

superb!! - I can't bloody wait to get this in action!! - check it!

Message 10/16             19-Dec-03  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: New fxpansion drums - crikey!!

k

Link?:  No link

well, got it running now, blimey!... it's so realistic, but because of that, it doesnt always sound good wen you assign it to older tracks done with a sampler-based drum set... It shows subtle bits in the pattern programming much more. Amazing sound tho, you could convince someone this was a real drummer if you programmed it well.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot