aaa "classic" synths? will new ones... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: "classic" synths? will new ones...

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/25             03-Dec-03  @  10:23 PM   -   ever be considered?

Influx

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Just thinkin about this with my recent exposure to some old skool analog

synths like the xpander, OB series, Matrix, Jupiter6/8, MiniMoog, Prophet5, etc...

back 'then" they had character, defining "voices"...

wondering about the current crop...just a ton of VAs mostly, that sometimes dont sound all that distinctive...

do you think in 10-20 years any of these new synths will "matter"?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/25             04-Dec-03  @  10:31 AM     Edit: 04-Dec-03  |  10:32 AM   -   RE:

steve

I think stuff like the xt and fs1r will always have a cult following, but I can't see anything that'll be revered in the same way joops and prophets are nowadays either meself. Most VA's will prolly be looked upon as cheap sources of 'classic' mid to late 90's sounds in the same way that DX and TX's are looked upon now.

I wonder if 15 years from now people'll be arguing on the internet whether the VA's with shittier internal resolution and convertors have more 'character'?

Message 3/25             04-Dec-03  @  02:26 PM   -   RE:

milan

i'd bet on it  

Message 4/25             04-Dec-03  @  03:19 PM   -   RE:

craig

I think without a doubt that the Nord Lead will have its place in history alongside the Juno and Minimoog.

my 2 cents.

-Craig

Message 5/25             04-Dec-03  @  04:58 PM   -   RE:

Influx

damn, thats it? no one else?

I think that says something...things being just cranked out...

but...maybe if I had asked this in 1985 the responses would have been the same?

"nah, the jupiter8 is too buggy...no one will remember it"?

Message 6/25             04-Dec-03  @  05:31 PM   -   RE:

Maarten

Personally I think the new VA's will try to get even more of that warmth off of the sound.. once they can reach that the 'oldie's' will no longer matter much more than now. I mean.. take just about any VA next to a roland (old)SH or system series, Korg's (old)MS series, Oberheims etc etc.. you still hear that difference. Most of the current crop of VA's will indeed stand in their shadows still.

Message 7/25             04-Dec-03  @  06:24 PM     Edit: 04-Dec-03  |  06:27 PM   -   RE:

milan

do you think in 10-20 years any of these new synths will "matter"?

no, i think they'll be superceeded by newer even better va's. like erm... access virus X, waldorf Q+++, and novation Supernova10?

only exciting thing i can think of right now is, if people like xoxos and the synthmaker crew manage to find a way to make all the weird synthesis/effect technologies as usable and accessible to the average user as an average va is, or like the aforementioned microwave xt and fs1r. then i'd be all about those types of synthesis instead of just dipping my toes in the water now and then  

Message 8/25             04-Dec-03  @  06:25 PM   -   RE:

milan

yo, whats these "quote" thingies for? they dont really do anything do they?

Message 9/25             04-Dec-03  @  07:31 PM   -   RE:

craig

I disagree. Personally, I don't think of VAs as emulations of analog but simply as synths in their own right. I don't care what kind of circuit, or software program is making the sound...

I say the Nord Lead will be a classic 20 years from now because it has a soul, like the classic instruments do. This is less apparent to Nord Rack users, but when you grab a Nord Lead keyboard and play it, you feel it. The action of the board, the way the pitchstick and modwheel feel under your hands, how the synth's sound reacts to the dynamics of playing and programming...

For me as a guitar player, it's like what I feel when I pick up an old Strat - it's got that something that makes you connect with the instrument and the music you make on it.

The Virus, on the other hand, is a fantastic sounding tool, and it's got all the features you'd want, but it doesn't quite have the moxy.

People pick the classics in an irrational way in general.. Does a '58 Strat stay in tune when I dive bomb the trem? Does a mini go out of tune when you drive to the gig in the cold? Sure, but nobody cares because they have that something.

Message 10/25             04-Dec-03  @  08:06 PM   -   RE:

milan

yeah the nord, but virus a got bettered by b then by c, and surely will get bettered by virus d... do you c? ;)

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)