aaa audiowerk prroblem with Win2000 - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             16-Jul-04  @  09:09 AM   -   audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

Bob

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

I've tried looking all over the net for help with this without success so far, was wondering if anyone here had experienced similar problems or could offer a suggestion...

I've just changed my PC from a P3 (win98) to a P4 with Win2k. I have an Audiowerk2 that I've pulled out of the P3 (where it worked fine) and put it in the P4. It detected ok, and I used the latest drivers from the emagic website to update it.. and it now shows in Device Manager as installed properly... but it doesn't show up as an audio device in any apps, eg. Sounds & Multimedia under Control Panel or in Cool Edit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             16-Jul-04  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

k

Link?:  Link

This new PC has onboard sound device mebbe? - is there NO device available at all for selection in: Control-panel / Sounds & Multimedia

?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/13             17-Jul-04  @  07:44 AM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

Bob

Yep has onboard sound which shows up in Control Panel etc and works ok. It's a P4SE I believe. Should that make any difference though?

With my old Win98 setup I had a SB AWE64 & the Audiowerk2 both working together ok. I could use 98 on this P4 I guess but I was keen to move to win2k because the 98 setup was a bit flakey at times... when something crashed the whole PC would need a reboot.

I could try XP I guess but I presume I would have the same problem as Win2k.

Message 4/13             17-Jul-04  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

k

well first try disabling the onboard sound in BIOS - do you know how to do that?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/13             17-Jul-04  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

k

+ btw - which PCI slot is the card in?

Message 6/13             17-Jul-04  @  05:24 PM     Edit: 17-Jul-04  |  05:25 PM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

psylichon

Link?: Link

^^^ I think the pci slot is the problem.

Just had similar issues moving my motu card around... it will install from any slot, but only certain ones will it actually work and show up as a usable windows driver.

Is your install of XP running ACPI?

Message 7/13             18-Jul-04  @  06:49 AM     Edit: 18-Jul-04  |  06:52 AM   -   RE: audiowerk problem with Win2000

Bob

I'm running Win2K at the moment. What is ACPI?

According to Control Panel it's in Location 4 (PCI bus 0, device 11, function 0), which sounds about right because I believe there's 7 slots and it's the 4th from the top. So it could be something to do with that really? I can try shifting it, any suggestions on which slot to put it in?

I will also try disabling the onboard sound, which I would prefer not to but will see if it helps. Not sure how but I'll have a go and check back later... thanks for the suggestions.

I installed Logic to see if it recognised it but when I set it to Audiowerk in the Peferences it said initialising Audiowerk then crashed out

Message 8/13             18-Jul-04  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

Bob

I tried disabling the onboard sound by going in to the BIOS.. PCI Configuration, Onboard PCI Devices Control, then set AC97 Audio Controller to Disabled. That has stopped the onboard sound but doesn't seem to have had any affect on the AW.

Should I try it in a different PCI slot? Any suggestion on which one?

Message 9/13             18-Jul-04  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

beds

Message 10/13             18-Jul-04  @  02:33 PM     Edit: 18-Jul-04  |  02:37 PM   -   RE: audiowerk prroblem with Win2000

Bob

Dang this *#@$! thing

I've now tried it in slots 1 through 5 and no luck... same thing happens each time, it recognises the hardware is there, driver installs fine, shows up in Device Manager as all OK, but doesn't appear under Sounds & Multimedia. Logic doesn't recognise it either.

Could it be this motherboard just doesn't like it? I could try re-installing Windows from scratch again I guess. I wonder if I put Win98 on this machine if it would work. Would XP likely give me the same problem?

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot