aaa Reason's Audio Quality - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Reason's Audio Quality

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             15-Nov-04  @  02:44 PM   -   Reason's Audio Quality

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Why does the sound engine in Reason sound so wack. When you build loops and export them from Reason into Logic, they sound fine. Am I right in thinking that Reason doesn't have as good a sound engine as stuff like Logic and Cubase. Or am I way off the mark? Reason def sounds a bit thin when one is working in it. Amazing program though. Lovin the Dr Rez and re-drum.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             16-Nov-04  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

mcc>

Link?: Link

i think you have a point.
whether it's complaint enough for propellerheads to try to make some advances in this department or not...i haven't a clue>

i find myself trying to compensate via eQing instruments and later in mastering....but yes...a little thin / cold at times........one might say VERY digital.

Message 3/18             16-Nov-04  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

Dominic

Yer, I reckon they should sort this out and if it means that we have to pay another £100 for the package then its worth it. I mean you play a kick out of the included house kits and it sounds like a fisherprice toy when Reason plays it back but if you loop and export that kit in 24 bit into Logic, it sounds Phat and sits in the mix beautifully.

Maybe this is why when Liam Howlett claims he did everything in Reason, he probably had to export it all into Pro Tools or something else to produce it.

There is no way that he did that album in just Reason.

Message 4/18             16-Nov-04  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

Influx

I always thought it sounded good when I was overdriving the reason outputs. get the clip lights showin and all is solid!

then, of course, dont look at the waveform when you export to a sequencer 

or just rewire from the start?

Message 5/18             16-Nov-04  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

Dominic

I could rewire yes but I'm still on Logic 5.5 on the PC so can only route through audio. I'm scared off clipping!

Message 6/18             17-Nov-04  @  05:41 AM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

Humble Granny

Is Reason a good bit of software because I was thinking of getting it as all I'm using is Fruity Loops at the moment?

And whats the best way to learn how to use Cubase because I've got it but find it to be quite complicated and have lost the manual?

Message 7/18             17-Nov-04  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

k

Link?:  Link

i LOVE reason, and 2.5 is just better. Of course, REALLY, it comes into it's own when rewired (2) with SX, I dont have the pleasure as a PC logic user of full rewire sadly, but as a rack of gear it's superb... not that keen on the sequencer tho myself.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/18             17-Nov-04  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

Dominic

Yer the Reason sequencer is a fiddle to work with. I'm finding that its better to build drums in Reason then export the loops as audio files and import into Logic. Then I can use my vsti's for the music bit.

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT REASON 2.5

The best software package for building pro sounding drum tracks.

Re-drum is superb.

Dr Rex is even better.

The compressor is wicked. You can pump your loops like a demon.

THINGS I HATE ABOUT REASON 2.5

The sequencer is a pain.

The sound engine sounds crap. Too thin and quiet.

The fact that you only have tone/velocity and channel mutes on 3 re-drum channels. This is silly as I want to be able to control sample start, tone and mutes on all 10 re-drum channels.

Message 9/18             17-Nov-04  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

Influx

"lost the manual"

its available as pdf. In fact, its installed with the program.

SX doesnt even come with a manual 

Message 10/18             17-Nov-04  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: Reason's Audio Quality

k

Link?:  Link

yeah but it's the same with ANYTHING from Tamla vocals to whatever... drive it, make it hum a bit

hey... ORION, it hardly gets mentioned but it's bloody good, new version Platignum is out btw

Project5 is not bad at all either and they both take 3rd party VST/DX synths

there is something about Reasons all-in-one ness tho, but i'd always want to use it rewire2'd.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot