aaa Tell me about your laptop setup. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Tell me about your laptop setup.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             30-Nov-04  @  02:48 AM   -   Tell me about your laptop setup.

Optofonik (AKA_Mick_Rhyze_etc.)

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I want to know everything.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             30-Nov-04  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

psylichon

none. next?

Message 3/24             30-Nov-04  @  09:44 AM     Edit: 30-Nov-04  |  09:45 AM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

dARKSTATe

Ok, in the spirit of getting things going... as some of you know Darkstate is going live next year and alongside our drummers and vocalists, we're bringing back in a bass player (double bass if possible) and "guest guitarists"... the rest of the work is gonna be done by me using a laptop runnin XP and Live V4, two Kenton Control Freaks and my Z1 (on controller and lead synth duties)

I've done a fair bit of research so far and as I'm quite happy with my studio PC setup, so finding the perfect laptop in terms of accoustic noise/battery life/portability etc. isn't as much of a concern.

I've got my eyes on getting some kind of AMD Athlon64 3000DTR to 3400DTR based lappy which comes with 1Gb RAM and an 80GB 5400RPM drive (which isn't perfect but should be ok).. factoring in "rip-off Britain" prices, I should hopefully be buying it for less than £1000... what do you think??

In benchmarks and various reviews, this thing should give me the most bang for the buck.. Centrino based lappys are smaller, quieter etc. but that's not so much of a concern for me (unless you good folk can think of an overriding reason that is?)

Marc_D

Message 4/24             30-Nov-04  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

sox

PlV 3.06ghz Rock laptop ( http://www.rock-direct.com )

512mb ram, 80gb HD, DVD-RW, 17" WXGA widescreen , 128mb Radeon graphics, 533FSB, 2 USB2 ports, Firewire, Bluetooth.

used with an M-Audio Ozone for audio recording (mostly at 48,000khz)

Main problem is only 2 USB ports. Added on a PCMCIA card for extra 2 USB's.

sox

PS
Keep us informed when you're going live Marc. I've only been hassling you for about 3 years to do it!!!

Message 5/24             30-Nov-04  @  02:50 PM     Edit: 30-Nov-04  |  02:51 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

dARKSTATe

Nice lappy Bobby. May I enquire as to how much? I think I want the RAM as opposed to the harddrive coz I'll be hammering LIVE and the ram-preload option it has for clips is rather nice for performance (provided you've got the memory of coz!)

As for going live, you betcha mate - I'll be screaming it from the rooftops (quitely!)

Actually, I've been meaning to give you a bell for ages to catch up on stuff...

Marc_D

Message 6/24             30-Nov-04  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

sox

Hi Marc.

I paid approx. £1850 for it last October (2003). I know that the newer model has an 800mhz FSB and will take up to 2gb ram (mine maxes at 1gb).
It'll set you back just over £1500 incl. VAT. Amazing how laptop prices have fallen at least £300 over the year.

sox

Looking forward to seeing it live...maybe even closer to SW9 than Guildford!

Message 7/24             03-Dec-04  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

Sox, dARKSTATe, thanks.

Psy, "Piss off."

Anyone else out there using a newer lappy? I'm hearing good things about the Centrino but better things about the Athlons regarding their having superior floating point processing than Intel. Considering that I'm still using my PIII I imagine that almost anything will impress me but I want to be able to milk the next one just as dry for as long as possible.

Thanks again.

Message 8/24             06-Dec-04  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

dARKSTATe

As I understand it, Centrino based lappys will run quieter and for longer off battery life and you'll get decent enough performance!

The prices of a bunch of Centrino lappys have just come down by quite a bit (presumably to make way for the next wave) as have the Athlon 64 based systems.

Personally, I'm going Athlon 64 coz noise and batterylife isn't a concern for what I wanna do..

Message 9/24             06-Dec-04  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

Ditto, about the battery life. I plug in wherever I land.

Message 10/24             06-Dec-04  @  06:51 PM     Edit: 06-Dec-04  |  06:52 PM   -   RE: Tell me about your laptop setup.

psylichon

"I plug in wherever I land."

well well, you international manwhore.... good work!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot