aaa help with a song's key.................. - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: help with a song's key..................

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             19-Apr-05  @  11:26 AM   -   help with a song's key..................

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Does anyone know what musical key Radiohead made Subterranean Homesick Alien is in please? Phanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             19-Apr-05  @  11:33 AM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

beds

Link?: Link

clip?

Message 3/11             19-Apr-05  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

Dominic

http://www1.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=839033

Message 4/11             20-Apr-05  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

beds

G

Message 5/11             20-Apr-05  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

psylichon

G

it's a cliche chord movement, but oh so nice. try this for starters:

G,D,F,B
G,C,E,B
G,C,Eb,A
G,B,D,G

Message 6/11             21-Apr-05  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

Dominic

Top stuff. Thank you veru much. Can I be cheeky and ask the key of Paranoid Android aswell please?

Message 7/11             21-Apr-05  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

beds

G minor

Message 8/11             21-Apr-05  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

Drop

Thank you very much again. I think I must explore major keys more. I have avoided them because of my thinking that minor is better cos its darker innit!?!?! But major can obviously sound dark if one knows what they are doing.

Message 9/11             21-Apr-05  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

k

Link?:  Link

um... can it?... you need that flat 3rd tho dont you for some mood?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/11             21-Apr-05  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: help with a song's key..................

Dominic

I mean more in terms of chord progressions. Like The Police's "Roxanne" is in A major but still has "something of the night" about it. Same with Every Breath you Take. I think thats in A major but still sounds pretty melancholy to me.

Do you use the harmomic/melodic minor when you go up in a minor scale and a natural/alieon when you go back down or is that just for when writing classical music?

I think stuff like Irish music uses the natural when going up or down but I really like using the F# in A minor cos I like to be able to use a d major when writing stuff in A minor. But my chord progressions are still pretty boring as I can never get past using the root, iv,v and vi and inversions. Do you/can you use a minor V and major V chords in the same track.

And is a major 7th one one tone below the root and a minor 7th is one semitone below the root?

I'm probably talking crap here but I ain't no musician.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot