aaa Softer/warmer sounds from Virus? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             17-May-05  @  09:52 PM   -   Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Greetings all..

I know this sub-forum has been abandoned for quite some time now. Sheesh.

Anyways, I was looking to start up again making ambient-ish music using a one trick pony synthesizer...well..in that sort of thing. I have a midi controller keyboard now, and a laptop for sequencing...My question is such: does anyone have any links or demos of the Virus doing softer sounds? Everytime I hear the Virus in use, it seems that it is doing some sort of angry psy-trance or fuzzy trance sounds. I use to have an 'A' and a 'B', but I mostly used it for rough, massive leads and bass. I'm particularly interested in the Virus because it has up to 24 voices of polyphony and 16 parts..My other option was the Novation Nova, but that has 12 voices, and 6 parts only. I was hoping to do Analogue style drums and everything else on this one piece until I master or get better at what I do, then expand into something else...

Thanks!
Jimmy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             17-May-05  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

Link?: Link

the virus is a pretty midrange sounding synth, very upfront.

Id say keep looking at the nova, or get a supernova as theyre dirt cheap now!

the NovaIIx keyboard had more voices I think. the drums on that thing ROCK.

also look at a Korg Z1. less voices, but a nice sound to it

Message 3/24             18-May-05  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Influx, thanks for the quick reply.

What's happened to the board here? I remember 4 years ago, it was brimming with activity. You
seem to be one of the elders here, I remember.

Anyways, I'll keep looking at either the Nova 2 Keys. 6 Parts should definitely be enough for a
basic minimal mix, I'd hope.

Message 4/24             19-May-05  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

things have definitely slowed down. not sure why that is. the production aspect...its like that at all the sites I go to. aside from total noobs wantin the easiest route possible there's hardly any discussion about it anymore

hey...if youre wantin "warm" and "thick" and that kind of shit...why dont you find one of the synths named in your handle?

Message 5/24             19-May-05  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

psylichon

if you're doing anything ambient, I highly recommend the Nova, despite its voice limitation. If you're using it in conjunction with a DAW, just print your tracks for more voices. The Nova's really held it's own in terms of character despite stiff competition from softsynths.

... speaking of which, if you were to go that route, you HAVE to get Spectrasonics Atmosphere. I couldn't live without it and ambient is definitely my bag.

Message 6/24             19-May-05  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Haha, I'd love an Xpander, despite their extremely high asking prices.

Say I had a DAW, I'd be all over multi-writing that synth. I heard this crazy lfo modulated pad sound from it recently that evolved for what seemed forever. On eBay they seem to go for $1500-$2000, so thats something id have to save for, forever.

And yes, I'm giving the Nova a long, hard look. I see that the newest OS upgrade gave it a slew of new features, including 4 more voices of polyphony. 16 voices over 6 parts seems a nice start to work with.

Message 7/24             19-May-05  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

thats plenty, man.

so youre not using a DAW then. we're talkin "midi" mixes?

Message 8/24             19-May-05  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

I'm not quite sure what I need really.

All I know is that I have my midi controller (which sends midi over USB) my Apple laptop, and I plan to purchase a Nova. From there, I'm lost. I've seen these external firewire recording devices...is that what i'd need? They seem to be portable and simple. I suppose some sort of USB mixer would work too? Say I wanted to do all my work from a laptop...what do I need?

Message 9/24             20-May-05  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

if you wanted to do ALL your work from your laptop you only need a midi controller or two and your laptop with an audio interface

thats it. even the apple core audio might suffice

then youd need a sequencer like logic or cubase, some softsynths and MAYBE a sampler...all available as plugins so still JUST the laptop

if you want to use the nova or an external synth you need a mixer to route sounds and an audio interface to record them once youre ready to sequence.

Message 10/24             21-May-05  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Ok, So say I was to use a hardware synthesizer with the laptop.

I'd have for hardware:

my midi controller
Nova
Laptop

And then I'd sequence using Cubase or Logic. Then I'd have a mixer and firewire audio recorder for recording, right?

Logic 7 is so freakin expensive. Isnt Cubase much cheaper?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)