aaa Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ? - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/55             08-Dec-05  @  01:39 AM   -   Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

2nd mouse

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I've had my tracks hosted here for over a month now. One of them has been played 147 times , but I've yet to have anyone leave a message to say if they even liked it.
7161 doesnt have a very welcoming vibe , and I got an " I'm alright Jack " feeling from here.
This message will probably be sneered at , but if there are a lot of people getting that sense about 7161 , people will feel alienated and the numbers will dwindle as they go to graze on other pastures.
This is the first time I've been back here in about 3 weeks and theres not a single review of any of my tracks. I have them based elsewhere , and there isn't this kinda problem at those sites

Just my 2 cents -------------------- 2ndMOUSE

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/55             08-Dec-05  @  06:32 AM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

mcc>

belated welcome to 7161......one cold siberian outpost did u say?
i always wear mittens when logging on.
posting a track doesn't oblige anyone to review your track.
DOZENS of new and old members are constantly posting tracks here every week.
if you're serious about getting feedback you can announce a track in the tracks forum...don't title your thread "new track"...or "another new one from me" as that sort of originality will get you little notice....deservedly i might add.
say who you are or the name of your track.
people are more vain than gracious so you might try doing what you yourself are saying others aren't...which is actually reviewing other peoples' music. have you yourself reviewed anyone's work here?
it's amazing how many peeps drop in wanting feedback but never give any themselves.
by reviewing others' works you almost oblige them to reciprocate.
this is how cliques and mutual admiration societies are formed....not to mention political parties and the entire country of wales....better known as the chat.
when asking for feedback provide a link so people don't have to WORK to find your song just so they can hear it.
always mind your manners.
social skills is coolness here as you've already observed.

don't just dream it...be it.

mcc> aka cLowNsiTTerz

Message 3/55             08-Dec-05  @  09:30 AM     Edit: 08-Dec-05  |  09:33 AM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

The Moujik

Message 4/55             08-Dec-05  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

k

Link?:  Link

well now that depends wether you want to join a site to get feedback... sites such as Myspace which seem to me to be nothing more than a mutual masturbation society... or wether you join a site to get decent free hosting with deep linking ALLOWED and itunes feeds etc.... in other words:

SOME sites are coded to force the users or their fans/freinds to visit the site or to use embedded players on their pages carrying adverts etc in order to listen to their music... because they rely on spamming people to death with adverts to make money -

On the other hand we've gone to extraordinary lengths to NOT carry adverts, pop-ups or banners; or interim "You will be forwarded after this message from our sponsor" pages, etc etc

Funnily enuff we were talking about this last night, me and a mate who plays bass in a band... he was talking about Myspace... that he'd visited the site to check it out etc, and he said; "No-one at Myspace is going to go to your gigs tho"

and that is that sadly... I know some other "We're all happy wappy 'mates' in cyberspace together" sites... endless 'buddy' stuff all day, people who dont know each other cringingly kissing each others asses all hoping they will somehow get more 'fans' by doing so... trying to coerce people to come to their gigs etc thru mutual online buddy-systems... then you go to a gig of one of these bands (which i've done, just to see if all the hype results in people at gigs).... does anyone comes to the gig?.... Nope.. no-one.

The biggest cringe I saw was some 'anti-terrorism' gig/event that was trying to be organised on one user-music site after the bombings in London.... we all care so much etc, and one band comes on and says "Yes, but if we pull this off, you'll get the chance to play in front of thousands of people, it should be worth supporting because of that!"

lol... ooooh.. so y'know, if a person is going to support a political agenda ONLy because they think it'll mean exposure for their band, that is quite sad.

I think there's a danger in people assuming that collecting 'web-mates' online is somehow going to help them get recognised... the fact is, those people are just themselves after the same thing, and round and round it goes.... and who wins in all this?.. ADVERTISERS... the corporates & their minions

meanwhile, those who do NOT spend all day and night online deperately trying to gain 'virtual fans' are NOT going out to get gigs... are NOT going out meet people for real.... are NOT getting their shit together in any other way.

if you beleive in that system, fine... I dont... and i think it's really sad that so-called musicians are all busy asskissing corporate advertising.

we already saw this before with the old mp3.com, it didnt get anyone recognised then and i dont beleive it will now with the new 'mp3.com' which is Myspace.

To give you an idea... the band I play in is at the top of the video chart on 2 large-ish sites, with great reviews; all the reviews say the band is awesome and "Why aren't you signed?" etc

does it mean anyone comes to gigs?.. nope!... Do I care about those sites or the fact the video is at the top of the charts?... nope!... Not because it's not nice to be appreciated, but because realisticaly OTHER work is required to get that band a deal... so I could spend 4 hours a day on music sites 'buddying people up' and all that, and I know people who actualy DO do that... they spend hours daily online maintaining relationships with cyberforums etc, and each hour they spend online is another hour they are NOT doing anything else to get the band going..

The trouble is frankly there is just TOO many bands out there, it's so easy to get a 'virtual band' together now... but the reality of doing gigs etc & actualy getting OUT of cyberspace is much harder.

So these 'virtual bands' turn up to gigs with no gear, do a crappy set to 20 mates who came from their college (4 'mates' for each member etc which means 4 GF's and each GF brings a mate who brings her BF etc etc)... they finish and they all piss off.

I remember being at one gig handing our flyers and I offer a flyer to this girl - "Oh no thanks", she says... "I only support this band"

lol... in other words "No i dont go to gigs and discover bands, I only go out to the gigs of my mate's band" - how fucking sad is that!?... and THAT is the reality of the new music fans, they want corp approved bands served up which are approved, they cant tell what they like, they dont go and see bands, they just choose from corp fodder: The Kieser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, etc etc,... otherwise, music doesnt exist for them.

So they play some gigs to mates while they are at college... then they leave college & start work and the reality kicks in, some people leave the band & that's that... something you do at college.... "be in a band".. fine, nothing wrong with that, but y'know...

As for dance-music... for every 20 people making bedroom tracks and spending all day & night online trying to garner 'fans', there is 16 year olds out there taking their CD to clubs and parties and raves, getting it played, doing PA's (if mebbe it is rap/hiphop/grime), pressing & distributing whites on-foot round shops and to deejays & mags etc. THEY are the ones who might break thru, not the ones sitting around online saying "Oh look I now have 57 freinds in my profile!!"..... and all those freinds are only on your page cos they want YOU to go to THEIR page.

I dunno, call me jaded   - lol but what the fuck is wrong with people these days that they cant get up and do their own thing.

--------------------------------

If you like we could implement a new deal, 'prizes for reviews' like on some of the corp sites... people do reviews to gain points ("What do points make?... PRIZES!!")...then they get server-space to allow them to post more songs

we just give you that space, end of.

I wouldnt mind adding in some sort of fun thing like getting prizes for cool reviews, but that would be to encourage young reviewers, rather than to gain webspace we already hand out... it'd be a laugh, nothing more, but we've got other pans in the fire to finish first before we can go out and find a sponsor. or even think about anything like that.

actualy if the truth be known, I only added that 'review' thing into artist pages here because we were approached by a 'marketting person' back in the summer who claimed they could raise a sponsor for the site, and they forwarded a business-plan to us.... we said "Well, if you can do it, do it", and we added the reviews thing for them... they flaked in the end as it goes, but whatever, I leftr it in just in case.

actualy I noticed some reviews added for some of the people at the top of the chart right now.... decent reviews too... so it does get used a bit

I guess you aren't communicating a desire to be reviewed very much mebbe 2ndMouse?.... I know your name from the site, but I dont recall you being here that long, and i dont recall lots of requests for reviews by you... But i dont think a good way to get people to review you is to pop up and complain you're not being reviewed

lemme just remind myself of your music 2ndMouse... hang on

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/55             08-Dec-05  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

milan

kilo, man... i love your rants  

just few days ago i ran into the one about the old landlady who was coming to your dub jams etc... *rofl*... excellent stories, you should publish one day ;)

Message 6/55             08-Dec-05  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

k

of course clay always moans and knocks the site in his posts   - ... people keep on signing up tho, every day... I would concede that we need more guitar bands tho. Otherwise I like the mix of music.

But 2ndmouse... if you just dump a choon or 2 on a site then bugger off for 3 weeks and come back expecting reviews, i guess you need to communicate with people more mebbe? - as Clay says, you want people to do what you are not preparared to do yourself which doesnt make a whole lot of sense. If you review a track, that review links to your page... the more reviews you do the more links to you appear on other track pages. That's how other sites work.

etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/55             08-Dec-05  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

k

oh yeah Milan..... Mrs Bertha Marx... lol, she was wacky man & she used to partake in a spliff on those dub-jam nights!!... not bad for 70-something years old (she looked more like 90-something tho) lol

Message 8/55             08-Dec-05  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

k

yeah Mouse.... well, first comment is the tunes (at least the first one listed JUST THE TRIGGER I NEEDED) is VERY quiet... it's mastered VERY low in volume - great vocals tho

great music tho man, very detailed, you've put alot of work into it - it's good stuff... my fave is that 'Barber-esque' track 'My Errant self' - great track!

so, you have the quality, now what?... it's intelligent music... have you mailed out to any labels/radio shows?... gigs?.. can you do a live set/pa? etc... what's your plan?

Message 9/55             08-Dec-05  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

Bluescreen

if you beleive in that system, fine... I dont...

Hey, you forget about the seniors in the forum like me, who are either definitely to old for the real thing or not looking good enough for a real gig ;)

sites such as Myspace which seem to me to be nothing more than a mutual masturbation society...

Very seldom you get an honest review. On Harmony-Central I received the following opinion about my NIne Inch Evolver Remix :

Wow, I must feel like a MAJOR DICK tonight.
I wouldn't even affiliate myself with NIN with the mix in this post. I mean, shit, are we here to freakin promulgate mediocrity? It smells like a demo, sounds like a demo, looks like a demo...you get the picture.

No offense guy....I don't even know you....but....don't think this is a CONVINCING demo of ANYTHING!

MOVE me if you want to SELL me.

I don't have a PEK, but I wouldn't buy one based on your demo. No offense meant here....but get your phukkin skills in line before you go cold calling this stuff on serious buyers like the posters on this board.

We all know the PEK is serious EQPT. Surprise us. Thrill us. .........oh........and don't bore the original artist.

I would be wanting Trent Reznor to be completely RAPTURED with my shit upon hearing it if I was you.

Are you posting here in case he reads it? NO....but wouldn't you just CRAP yourself if he did and LIKED IT????

Don't worry....it didn't happen.

Different strokes dude. Have a nice day.

***Please forgive me if I wasn't "user friendly" in this post....it's been a long week and "approachable" isn't in my dictionary anymore.

There are real discussions, as you can see ;)

Message 10/55             08-Dec-05  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Doesnt anyone ever give reviews ?

The Moujik

I've always thought that DT/7161 had managed to achived a good balance; there doesn't seem to be the hit & run spamming of "my latest trance track" that their used to be, and equally there doesn't seem to be the reluctance to review you music unless you're a "regular" that there used to be.

I agree with K about myspace etc. - it can be a useful tool, but (for me) only in the same way that DT/7161 is.

Chris

Oh - the other thing I wanted to mention was that it seems a bit quieter here than usual - hence my (poor) picture of a tumbleweed ^^^

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot