aaa building a monsta music pc! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: building a monsta music pc!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             16-Feb-06  @  06:44 PM   -   building a monsta music pc!

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

we're just finishing up this pc for the bassist in our band, and man this is a BEAUTY!.

Really mega stuff but still budget.

Coolermaster tower - real flashy with mesh front and all 'no screws' throughout for adding drives cards etc. - tons of drive space

a super-silent top-end power supply + quiet Arctic-cooling cpu cooler

and64 3200 + gb of ram

40gb boot drive

1/2 terrabyte of audio drives

dvd/cd burner

it is soooooooooo quiet!

we added an M-Audio delta 1010 LT, and that's gonna have an 8 input mic pre-amp rack added for recording 8 tracks at once.

i think the whole lot was 580 quid for the PC and 155 for the Delta-1010 LT

such a sexy pc man, i'm dead jealous!

video of the build to follow

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             16-Feb-06  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

The Moujik

Link?: Link

Sounds good man.

Out of interest K, where do you buy your PC bits from? Am looking to build a new general purpose/internet machine.

Message 3/11             17-Feb-06  @  09:37 AM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

k

yoyotech, pc fair prices usualy.

We fired up the delta 1010LT last night, and it sound crisp - never tried one of those before, only delta Audiophile's, but they are really quite good value. The m-audio applet is very comprehensive, you can switch phantom power on/off and all sorts of stuff, inc' patching in/outs. One nice touch is that the drivers seem ok sharing with windows 'Sound' settings and Logic. Logic doesn't like that with some cards. If you disable the onboard sound windows automatically grabs the drivers and Logic can't boot them, but the Delta is cool for that.

Very impressed with the power supply, it is SO quiet. It's a TAGAN i-Xeye & comes with a 36 month makers guarantee. It uses two fans and lights up UV-blue when you power up. The rear power switch is covered with a rubber seal, and all the cables have braided covers, inc' the actual mains lead...It bungs out gobs of power, and there is also a big earth strap which you bolt on with one of the motherboard mounting screws (helps to break any electrical interference noise)...loverly!

The Coolermaster case is excellent too, he spent about 90 quid on the case & PS, The case is black and the front is made of mesh panels to allow air flow thru the whole front, but behind the mesh is a 1mm thin foam to catch dust particles & also aid deadening of resonant internal noise.

The case has 2 fans which we didn't activate yet. It has tons of drive space and it's 100% 'no-screws' apart from the motherboard locating legs... the drivebays & card slots all use special sliding clips so you can build the whole PC without needing screws if you really want to. Case has 2 x USB 2 and Firewire connectors on front as well as front audio connectors which you can wire up if you like (we didnt) - the 'look' of the case is fantastic in all satin black with steel buttons and connector panel, and we added a black DVD unit and a silver floppy drive which makes it all looks visualy great!

the motherboard has SATA & it's PCI-Express graphics and firewire is included - we did some stereo recording and with just 2 tracks record there was no probs with the onboard graphics (nVidia) at all.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/11             17-Feb-06  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

k

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/

Message 5/11             19-Feb-06  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

milan

you know... i've been thinking about just going out and buying an off the shelf pc for a while. i mean, stuff usualy works nowadays right? no more incompatibility issues and stuff?

or?

Message 6/11             19-Feb-06  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

beds

depends .. i just built one for a mate .. went for a socket 939 based mobo and a amd3200 but he's gonna be covered with dual core processor upgrades for a few years yet.

not always guaranteed long-term upgradeable parts with off the shelf ... like dell

and there was that trouble with nforce 4 last year, though i think they just updated the drivers .. not sure if it helped the audio side.

Message 7/11             19-Feb-06  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

dARKSTATe

I've seen some *REALLY* competitively priced stuff built around Amd X2 4200+ dual cores and nFORCE4.. thing is, I heard there are STILL problems with most PCI audio cards which is a really biatch...

Anyone know any more?

Message 8/11             20-Feb-06  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

k

dude, it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO asy to make one now, trust me, as long as you dont go mental as a noob and get overcompiicated with sata raid etc.. for example, all boards now are auto-everything, apart from turning off unwanted onboard sound. You dont need to worry about setting clocks speeds etc, and power is huge for not much. those off the shelfers?.. ferget that.... do ti yourself, go on

Message 9/11             20-Feb-06  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

milan

ok ok... i hear you :P

i was thinking maybe i could save me some time, thats all.

crap... now i have to read up on compatibility and shit all over again! dont even know what fits what nowadays.

Message 10/11             20-Feb-06  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: building a monsta music pc!

Rags .aka. Welder

One thing you could do is you have a look at some CPU tests. There they usually mention specifics of their test setup, and from there you'll have the motherboard to be used. Maybe RAM as well, but probably you don't need that high performance stuff they're using. Check out twinmos and kingston. Do not EVER buy cheap noname ram, the better the name, the better the tech support.

The rest is not complicated at all. Make sure you get a quality chassis with a good power supply.

It costs you some time, but you'll have a badass machine, you get more bang for the buck. Also, you can make sure that what you buy will be quiet (bigger fans usually means quieter).

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot