aaa Dancetech Chart - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Dancetech Chart

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             07-Jan-07  @  02:40 AM   -   Dancetech Chart

nme

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Can anyone explain how the chart works, I assume that position is based on number of plays etc... but I seem to be bouncing around in there like a yoyo from top to bottom without actually exiting it?

As there is a limit to 1 track per artist, how do you remove a current chart entry to replace it with a new track?

I had a fish around on the site but couldnt find anywhere that explains how it all works.

Thanks guys

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             07-Jan-07  @  02:40 AM   -   Dancetech Chart

nme

Can anyone explain how the chart works, I assume that position is based on number of plays etc... but I seem to be bouncing around in there like a yoyo from top to bottom without actually exiting it?

As there is a limit to 1 track per artist, how do you remove a current chart entry to replace it with a new track?

I had a fish around on the site but couldnt find anywhere that explains how it all works.

Thanks guys

Message 3/12             14-Jan-07  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

Musineer Productions

You have to use a little program that votes for your tune more than anyone else's! Someone proved this to me with one of my tunes that topped the chart for a brief moment. If you look on the rant & drivel section, someone else clocked up a massive thread on this issue. I've stopped regularly checking the chart, though a quick look after reading your post shows that the top slots are just the same as they've been all year. Think of it as a marketing tool for the holder of the top place, or the top few places as a chart of narcissism.

In case I'm being too subtle, the charts on DT are a load of bollocks. Shame really, as this puts me off advertising DT on other sites (myspace, etc). As someone who thinks DT is a bloody marvellous resource (for new music, help when stuff goes wrong, feedback on my music, general cud-chewing, etc), I'd rather no chart than the current situation.

Maybe when the new design comes in K will have done something about this, giving us a chart of musical merit instead. (hint, clang, clatter)

Message 4/12             14-Jan-07  @  08:10 PM     Edit: 16-Jan-07  |  01:48 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

nme

Thanks Musineer, I had thought as much which led to the original post, pretty much for the same reasons as you ie, static positions etc... & to be honest some of it (naming no names) is garbage, in my opinion of course (beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc... i know!) And there are/were so many better tracks worthy of a higher position, the track, sense springs to mind, I was confident that would go to the top. But like the rest of us its permanently on a pogo stick!

Your subtledy wasnt escaping me, however I did prefer the upfront approach, made me smile

Anyway thanks for confirming my suspicions & taking the time to reply, I was beginning to think that every one else was as much in the dark as me.

As for the software d/l, nah, I wont bother with that, seems more than a little sad to me. The point you made regarding musical merit sounds good though, it would be nice to see, lets hope it happens.

Cheers Mus

Message 5/12             14-Jan-07  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

k

Link?:  Link

well thats the real world sadly, or esle the charts everywhere'd reflect inovative quality music rather than.... whatever, but there's good stuff there, even if people do get their mates to vote them up alot... I s'pose we could prolly re-write the chart better, but there's so much to do and not funds to pay developers... as you know we are an indy site currently

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/12             15-Jan-07  @  01:49 AM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

Musineer Productions

DT's independence is noted and cherished. I for one think you've done a champion job. I remember when you were talking about setting it up - way ahead of the pack! I didn't think you'd do it - something I'm really glad to have been wrong about.

If it were just a matter of folk getting their friends to vote for them I wouldn't be mumblin'. I've done that myself before, it's not a bad thing for DT (new folk visiting DT, keeps me in touch with people, etc...) and I doubt anyone I know would vote if they didn't like a tune. It's the fact it's a bit of software. Does no-one any good but the people setting it (asides from a quick lesson in IT of course - there's always a silver lining).

There was an article in the New Scientist (pre-christmas edition) about sites such as DT (though they forgot to mention DT by name, going instead for the more obvious choices) and how they engage us users.

Badges was one, and we've got that with the gourmet thing.

Community was another, and we've got that 'cos we're all musos.

Reward was the thing that seemed to fire most folk. The idea of a chart seems to me to be good. Trouble with a negative chart is that when I mention DT to people asking to hear my sounds, loads of them (well, two so far, but that's not out of many) ask why I'm not in the chart, as if they see the chart as an indicator of the best current tunes on the site. That's bad promotion for me. Tempts me to recommend other sites where the competition is fair or there is no chart. Couldn't it be based on complete plays, or downloads, or get a voter to add a comment, or, or, or...I can hear you saying you don't have the time.

After a year of using the site regularly, the chart is my biggest gripe. Listening to random new posts on DT is still my favourite source of new music.

Message 7/12             15-Jan-07  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

softcore

I dont have but to agree that there must be some of us in here stragglin to get a position at the charts-by every means available(daaaamn i didnt know there was a software for that)!!!As foolish and narcissistic that may be,it would be naive to say that people dont do that!!
On a counterpart tho,sometimes I do check out the charts and i pleasantly observe-even in low positions-a track or two of mine!

Now believe me,i ve never really bothered to vote myself,or even invite friends to do that-the truth is most of my friends dont even have internet connection(daaamn Greece-years of light behind)! Dont get me wrong,I m not tryin to sound like i m the most moral guy ever existed but -the way i see it- since we all know charts really are fake,i dont see the point in tryin to get a position there!
Anyway,it seems that although some people really act foolish and childish but it would be unfair to say there arent listeners really voting tracks just because they like em and are not in any way connected to the producer!!

by the way,to those few,THANKS!

Message 8/12             18-Jan-07  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

k

Link?:  Link

well thats not what it's all about tho surely, the chart i mean... i mean like you could checkout peoples music as it's added, comment and vote?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/12             18-Jan-07  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

nme

I quite agree, Im happy to listen to the numerous tracks both in the chart & in the new releases & where appropriate add my comment & vote. I find it most inspiring listening to such varying styles in helping me to try & develop my own style as a novice to the scene. Dont get me wrong I didnt want this post to become a slagging off rant against the chart in any way shape or form, I merely wanted to understand how the whole thing was working out.
I think DT is a cool site & as such have increased my own disk space as I intend to get much more out of the site K, have chatted to some really cool guys who have been more than helpful. As for me the chart simply served as a tool to gauge how other people may or may not view your music & to gauge what works well & vice versa or what I may be doing well & not so well.
Knowing that some individuals manage to monopolise certain positions by certain means simply helps me to add this into the equation when assesing my own efforts, automatic voting software..........haha, its laughable & makes me smile thats all. I mean who are they kidding, only themselves of course!
Im happy to keep plugging away & relying on the guys out there to give me there honest feedback, seems to have worked well so far.

All the best

Message 10/12             20-Feb-07  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Dancetech Chart

nme

Ive noticed recently that there has been quite a lot of movement at the top of the chart with some great tracks getting worthy recognition which is great to see!

Has there been a clamp down or limitations imposed on this online voting software some users have does anyone know (hope so) or is it more likely that more have jumped on the bandwagon?

.....Just wondering thats all!

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot