aaa New A.C.O.A.T track - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: New A.C.O.A.T track

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             12-Feb-07  @  10:27 AM     Edit: 12-Feb-07  |  10:29 AM   -   New A.C.O.A.T track - Fulcrum

acoat

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi Guys,

Would really like some feedback on this one. Any tips on mixing/polishing as i really dont know what i am doing in that area?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks.

http://7161.com/track.cfm?track__dt_track_id=13490&user=10695&carrywith=&music_group=1

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             12-Feb-07  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

nme

Nice little track, sounds pretty neat, nice work.

As far as mixing/polishing etc... I cant really say to much on that one as that would be the 'blind leading the blind' as Im somewhat unsure in the very same area myself. Although Ive got cubase I havnt actually used yet as Im currently trying to get to grips with reason! Getting it just right is a minefield I know. To my ear it all sounds fine.

K, Moujik, Rags, Maarten, Musineer etc... are the guys for that, they're pretty helpful. Im sure one of them will offer some advice as & when they see your post.

Message 3/13             13-Feb-07  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

Rags .aka. Welder

I like it! SOunds are very mellow, wonderful analog-ish stuff.

Also the mix is nice and balanced (as far as I can tell). It's also not squashed to -8 dB RMS, and that is good .

Message 4/13             13-Feb-07  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

Moujik

Don't think there's much wrong with this mix at all... possibly the drums could be a bit more up front, but I thought the synth sounds pulled everything along more than the drums anyway, so it's probably fine.

Anyway, you've got loads going on there but it doesn't sound muddy or confused, which is half the battle with mixing

Message 5/13             14-Feb-07  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

acoat

Hey thanks guys. I seem to spend most of my time scratching my head with compressor settings and hi/lo pass filters never quite knowing if i'm making things sound better or worse.

Much appreciate all your input.

Message 6/13             14-Feb-07  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

k

Link?:  Link

Hey thanks guys. I seem to spend most of my time scratching my head with compressor settings and hi/lo pass filters never quite knowing if i'm making things sound better or worse.

haha, the only thing i think i'd change is the filtered drums arriving before the very thin synth line, i'd leave the drums until the drop. The drone at the drop out is way too low, the drum loop is a bit over compressed or rather that would work but it's lacking any thump in the kick area is all... it still works, but i personaly would want it a bit more thumping

perhaps your compensating the mix for a bassy mixing room which boosts the bass end? all the mid-top levels are great in terms of balance and non-harshness, just bash up some of the bottom on the kit and please get that drone up cos it's going to sound great

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/13             14-Feb-07  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

acoat

Cheers K, you've given me some good ideas to be going on with. Maybe i will check some of the mixer settings when i get home, i know i can forget about them sometimes when doing stuff in software (Doh!). Never mind, its things like this that keep me interested. There is always something to learn.

Thanks for the tips everyone

Message 8/13             18-Feb-07  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

GrooveMonkey

Mix sounds ok, your levels could do with a bit of tweaking when moving from one part to another, but otherwise ok.

What generally works for me is once the tune is done, export it all to audio (track by track), create a new song, import the audio and mix from there. It might sound a bit daft, but you get a new perspective on the mix.

Anyway... like the tune!

G

Message 9/13             19-Feb-07  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

acoat

Cheers GrooveMonkey.

I do tend to mix everything down to audio but not into a new track. Will give it a go.

Thanks for the input

Message 10/13             20-Feb-07  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: New A.C.O.A.T track

Musineer Productions

Better add my oars-worth then...bearing in mind I've just dropped my headphones and now the left speaker is cutting out and I should have gone to sleep a while ago...

mne's right to use pretty, at the start anyway. I Like that bag of grain/bloke going pchsssh for a snare, which comes in about right - left/right. Skuttlin' swept toms too!

The key change at about 1.20 nearly lost me, but then by 2min I was getting into it (maybe a bit too hi-eq for me on the stabby riff). I agrree with K about the kick. Very compressed but not much oompf (which the mid-range synth riff does have).

That wasp in the right ear at 4.40

Great end - could make a track of that itself.

Not muddy at all, perhaps turn up the durdg synth to fill it out, don't compress the kick so, and back-off the hi range. It's good.

What's next?

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot