aaa Some very pointed questions about sequencing - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             12-Nov-08  @  07:13 PM   -   Some very pointed questions about...Cubase?

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Well hell. It's been ten years. Hello again! This thing has really blown the fuck up. Congrats Kilo and way to stick around!

So technology has come a long way. Duh. I've been using hardware forever, first a Kawai Q80+akai s20+Juno 106, then ditched the q80 for an MPC60, which died after a few years and got replaced by an mpc1000 (thanks dave) and my kit for the last few years has been MPC1k+TX81z+EH Bass microsynth stompbox, with a little controller and some effects, doing recording and vocals on an old PC with Audition. I did two records, a handful of remixes and a bunch of work with bands with this stuff, learned how to wrestle the sounds I needed out of it and became very attached to the MPC's sequencer, especially the step edit and its cool easily editable list format, the song mode where you can flexibly chain sequences together, the intuitive recording, the ability to make the samples gated instead of just triggered, etc. This year, my MPC finally shit the bed for good and when I was looking around for a replacement I decided it was finally time to make the software plunge. I got a nice Mac and Reason 4, with a novation knob box. I've been with the new rig for about a month and the synths and samplers are rad, the sound quality impeccable, etc. But the sequencer sucks for someone who likes to work like I do. I knew this from dicking around with the demo; i figured I'd be rewiring it to something else but didn't really think about what that would be. Live doesn't do what I want although it's slightly better as a MIDI sequencer than Reason, and it has a lot of shit I don't need/don't want to pay for. If I'm going to work with audio, I'll pretty much put it in a sampler. I'm leaning towards Cubase but since there are no demo versions out there, all I've got is a couple of screenshots, some reviews and some vague manufacturer's claims and comparison charts. Since I primarily want to use it as a MIDI sequencer through Rewire, I don't need all the instruments and vast audio tools of the full version. Essentials looks like a good (and cheap) bet but it's hard to see if it's workable with no way to try it out.

So I guess this goes at Cubase users:
--Step editing
I've seen screenshots of a list-format MIDI event editor, which looks a lot like the MPC style step editor. I love that shit, especially because i'm particular about my drums, and I always go in and tweak velocity, note length etc and it's great to be able to do this numerically instead of dragging shit around. (A lot of these sequencers with great graphics seem like they were designed by total non-musicians; all the shit they show you in the videos and demos seem like great features until you actually try to create or edit something. I've been with the 96-tick formula for so long that the 24/48/72 and all the divisions between come very naturally, but seeing things on a grid, especially with always having to zoom around to get enough detail to make sense of it, is a pain in the ass. Does this type of editor really exist in Cubase, and does it work like one would expect? And what is the "in-place MIDI editor" that is absent on Essentials but present in Studio and the full version? Web site details are vague.)

--Clip-based editing/composing
Live has got a reasonably good approach to this but i still find it cumbersome. I like to make complete MIDI chunks (1 bar, 4 bars, whatever) with all the tracks playing, then be able to copy the entire chunk to create, for example, a new, identical 4 bar loop, but with a drop out/fill/transition piece in bar 4. Put one after the other and there's an 8 bar section with a transition at the end. Blah blah, fairly simple shit, but surprisingly hard to find a soft sequencer that will let me do this easily without making me record a linear arrangement of it. My songs are usually composed of 50 to 100 short phrases, arranged in a long-ass list. Another thing that is essential with this is the ability to switch between clips on the fly to audition changes and see how parts fit together. My tracks tend to make a lot of sudden u-turns so this is essential. (And very easy on an MPC; flip the wheel to "next sequence" and it will change over seamlessly at the end of the current sequence. Live does this, but not in a way I find helpful.)

I know there's other stuff that I can't think of right now. If any experienced Cubase users have anything to say about this...thanks.

BUG

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             13-Nov-08  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

k

Link?: Link

f*ck me!! i do not beleive it! Buggo! lol How the hell are you man? long tiiiiiiime (only ten dollah!)

dude, you have a mac, so get logic pro!... It does full rewire-2, you'll love the ultrabeat drums etc, and no stupid ferkin dongle.

also logic has the fantastic LOOP feature no other sequencer has which for me is THE super function for pattern-based music creation at ultra fast speed...

high-light a midi part/region, hit LOOP and it just copies across the arrangement until it meets a new midi part... so you take the basic midi pattern, say a drum pattern part/region, hit LOOP and it automaticaly ghost-copies itself across until the song END position. Then copy the original midi part/region and paste it at the bar position you want the beat to change... go into the copied part, alter it, hit LOOP and that new part/region then copies itself until the next region appears, repeat and rinse!

no cumbersome actual copying and pasting etc, just hit LOOP and it does it automaticaly.

Logic also has all the folder stuff cubase has and it's easy to pack & unpack folders making complexed arrangements SO easy to keep in order

the take/comp feature when recording is superb as well, and the included synths, drums, sampler, and the fx are so good... as is the included content (synth patches, drums, loops, samples, Final-Cut-Studio sound-fx etc) .. all excellent, I tell you seriously the included free content is awesomely good and the EXS sampler reads/loads akai sample disks afaik and ALL sampler sound companies usualy release their sample libraries in EXS format as well as stuff like Kontakt

for drum editing you can use the hyperedit screen which allows you to even place controller lanes in between drum lanes adjacently if required. - each drum note/lane has dedicated length, velocity, quantise, etc... very good, but... The ULTRABEAT drum synth also includes a traditional TRXOX style grid complete with flashing led llights and patterns created in Ultrabeat can be dumped to MIDI tracks as patterns

Ultrabeat plays loaded samples or synthesises drums using analog synth modelling, or it does both (sample/synth) and has a grid matrix for sequencing as well as the TRxox style sequencer - it can be used with it's internal sequencer, sync'd to host OR triggered from midi patterns

actualy I'm about to get a mac pro myself (the funds arrived today in fact ) with Logic Pro of course... I've been trying it on a G5 and man, f*ck me it is deep! (and runs great on the G5)... Definately the included FX are better than cubase fx imo, and you'll LOVE the new Delay Designer (stereo or 5:1 surround delay sequencer), the vocoder, and more

another hit point with logic is when you select a track in arrange, the right-hand channel strip display shows not only the selected track's mixer-channel, but also next to it, the assigned OUTPUT channel strip... either master or Bus.. so you can work on both mixer strips at the same time.. brilliant! Allows you to do stuff like Bus sidechaining without even entering the mixer page

also of course it has all the automated 'apple loop' biz built in so you can create 'apple loops' out of your own loops and then they auto-fit to the song tempo and/or pitch and will audition on the fly in tempo/pitch, so as time goes by you will be building a library of auto-play loops you can re-use anytime with ease

Anyways, i mean... mac & logic? they just go together, same company, Logic and OS s/w updates all happen from within the mac s/w update section of the OS... it's a winner combi

Good to hear from you man.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12             13-Nov-08  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

buggo

Well hell. Thanks for the response K, it sounds like a hell of a program. I do get a warm fuzzy about mac software on a mac; all their stuff is so damn TIGHT. Since there's no demo version, i'm off to the house of horrors that is the soho apple store to play with it. (Not that I'm going to get a hell of a lot out of that; it's gonna take more than an hour to figure out whether it's something I can work with...)

So it seems like it will do everything I want it to do. And much, much, much, much more. Which is okay, it's nice to be sitting of a pile of features you may one day use. But the $500 price tag is something of a turnoff, especially since all I really want is a good MIDI sequencer and some very basic audio functionality. Not that the program's not worth it: by all accounts it's a beautiful piece of software, I just hesitate to spring for the Benz when there's a good chance the Civic will get me around just the same. With the academic Cubase being around $75, i wonder if maybe I should just get it and see how it treats me. I can always get logic later I suppose. Seems a bit wasteful but it's a hell of a lot better than doing it the other way around.

The bitch of it is that you always get used to whatever it is you're using, no matter how backwards and counterintuitive it is. You just don't want to spend a lot of time and money getting used to something that's fundamentally shit. I suppose there's no danger of that with either of these programs though; both are pretty highly regarded. So i'll go take logic for a spin and see how it strikes me. Hadn't even thought of it before, so thanks again for the recommendation.

Message 4/12             14-Nov-08  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

k

500 bucks? surely you can get a better deal than that if you shop around dealers? seriously just bite the bullet - what you get is worth more like 5 grand tbh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/12             17-Dec-08  @  03:08 AM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

buggo

Wow, what a damn noob.

Against your advice:

I played with logic, I played with cubase...went for the $75 cubase and am extremely fucking pleased. I've got it set up with rewire and working well; I can make it do what I want without it getting in the way. Mostly. But I'm curious, K, since you also seem to know the world of Apple, how you would go about resampling shit from Reason. Like drum sounds, fx etc that I create in a Reason synth and want to bounce down to an audio file I can load into a sampler in Reason. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to connect a send from the rewire input to an audio track in Cubase so I can snag little bits of audio. Since it's all going through rewire, the whole not-being-able-to-record-yr-soundcard's-output-on-a-mac thing shouldn't apply. But i'll be damned if I can figure out how to do it. It seems like the Cubase mixer is being coy, hiding things from me. You know Cubase too, how the christ would you go about this?

Also some strange shit...I like the ability to route devices through Reason's "hardware device" to individual Cubase tracks, but there are some strange conventions I can't wrap my head around. Like reason's output 1/2 shows up on the rewire list in cubase as a linked pair; you can't turn off one without the other, and it shows up as a single stereo track in the cubase mixer. Awesome, life is great. But all the other "hardware" channels seem to be different...if I want a stereo feed from 3/4, I have to make two mixer channels, pan one left and one right, and link them. Not a big deal, and I believe that's how "real people" in "real studios" have gone about things for years, but it seems bulky. I don't need two mixer channels for each stereo input. Perhaps they just did that because they figured most people are gonna mix in the client application...? Unlikely though, with how much rewire's bitchin audio transfer is touted by both Steinberg and the Swedes. Little shit like that, maybe I'll find a way around it but most of the people who are really GOOD at using this shit seem to be busy using it, not posting common-sense answers to slackjaw motards like me on WWW forums. I keep digging but am finding brick walls in strange places. The remainder seem to consist of clowns, imposters, posers, technical doofs and wannabes. (With the obvious exception of you, K, which is why I've always lobbed my dumb questions your way...:-)

PS is there some maintenance going on with the track upload section? I've followed all the upload instructions to the letter and keep getting a strange error message. Which...I can't seem to remember right now. It's been a few weeks. I'll try again and if it gives me problems I'll ask something more specific.

HUZZAH.

Message 6/12             17-Dec-08  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

k

http://www.dancetech.com/article.cfm?threadid=104&lang=0

see if that helps (rewire article in 2 parts which answers many questions

then come back if anything is unclear

rewire outs 1/2 are always fixed together cos thats the primary stereo out for reason, if you want everything on individual outs, bypass the reason mixer completely and start using reason hardware outs from number 3 onwards

these then appear as individual mixer 'rewire' channels in cubase mixer. You can render to audio track/files from there by soloing the required reason channels in cubase mixer and rendering (as far as i remember, lol)

try that article anyways it's still fully relevent i think (i stopped upgrading at reason 2.5)

Message 7/12             17-Dec-08  @  06:53 PM     Edit: 17-Dec-08  |  06:54 PM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

buggo

well...yeah, the articles were damned helpful, even though a lot of that stuff has become ironed out/automatic in new versions of both cubase and reason. the thing I still cannot figure out(and the main thrust of my last post) is how to record reason's output (which, since it's my only "audio" VST channel, is effectively the same as Cubase's main output) to a cubase audio track. Rewire is working brilliantly, everything syncs and plays through and exports as it should, but I can't seem to get an audio track that will record whatever's playing. I thought I could maybe set up a SEND from the rewire track in Cubase and route it to an audio track's input, but I don't seem to be able to do that in Cubase. I guess I could solo the parts I want, set the loop points and export, but that's a clunky workaround and I'm convinced there's a better way. Say i've got a bitchin snare sound set up, or some fizzy filtered crash-cymbal effect or a big sub bass whomp on a Reason synth and I only trigger it a few times in a song. I just want to be able to hit record, play the note, and have Cubase record it. Then I can save the audio file and load it into, say, the sampler I'm using for my drums. Then I can do a lot of other neat shit with it in the sampler, and get rid of the instance of the synth that made it. Saves CPU, makes my life easier because I like to work with samples. Not so hard eh? I've spent days on this problem. Fack.

Message 8/12             26-Jan-09  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

buggo

Okay, dude. You were right. I ponied up and sprung for Logic. It's effin Tip Top. Totally badass. Cubase can...dangle. Wow. Wow. Damn. Wow. SHIT.

(i will say though that the synth editors hurt my brain...everything looks like it's from someplace in the fake and terrifying sci-fi future. that's okay though.)

Message 9/12             26-Jan-09  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

k

yeah, Logic rules mac imo, but, i always keep my eye on Sonar's transitions which is also for mac now beleive it or not. Cubase was my first sequencer, but i fell out with it's 'partial' design.... too many bits floating around for me

cubase 5 coulkd be interesting, but i'm a litle wary of a major pro sequencer which uses some twat with a gelled fringe to introduce the product.

"Hey guys, why dont you show of the brand new tools for making those jacking grooves and pounding beats!"

p-lease!!!... Possibly this is Yamaha's influence of course, but it's utterly crass cobblers which frankly even most teenagers would piss themselves laughing at & rip to shreds (and who teh hell else is this nonsense 'down wit da kids' intro aimed at?)

but the Cubase problem bottom line for me is ...

GET RID OF THE STUPID ENDLESS SPERATE POP-UP WINDOWS!!!!!!!!

Message 10/12             28-Jan-09  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: Some very pointed questions about sequencing

buggo

Ha! Yeah, i suppose if i had a five thousand inch monitor and could stick all the windows in like a giant damn jigsaw puzzle it would be awesome, but you're right. the little micro-windows are shit, they get lost and buried. They've got to go.

Okay, so Logic has clearly got its issues too. What a bear. The Environment window is perplexing, and the manual's not so hot when it comes to the real fine points. Or a lot of other points. Like...If most of my instruments are piped in through Reason (midi out from logic, audio back from Reason) and everything's working peachy, I save the project and quit, and when I come back it's forgotten all my MIDI assignments. (It seems to remember to keep the Reason audio hooked up through the aux strip.) Now, Cubase did this too, if you opened the Cubase project BEFORE the reason project and Cubase couldn't find the Rewire ports to map to. Easy enough, just open in order: Cubase app, Reason app, Reason project, Cubase project. Beautiful. Logic just don't remember that shit though. And the odd thing is that when you go back and reassign the instruments to tracks with the Library, every time you save the project (even though it forgets the mapping every time you close it) it makes a new copy of...SOMETHING (I guess it's an Environment object..?) in the Library so these things keep stacking and stacking. This is infuriating.

Funny thing about software; with hardware you always could kind of tell whether or not you could do something. If you couldn't, you'd make do. With software it's hard to tell WHAT the fuck is possible, what exactly is going on and the developers don't seem to either. Also, it's hard to know if things appear opaque because yer a freckin idiot or because there's really been something overlooked. Of course, most of the questions I see up are things like "how you you make fat beats on MC303?????" or "how do i connect rewire HELLLLLP FRUSTRATING!!!!" when there's already fifty fucking goddamn tutorials on the subject.

Well whatever. I'll check in over here from time to time, especially if you're using it and getting into it, K. Logic is deep, deep. Some of the functions are sort of bafflingly complex and weirdly buggy (maybe 8.02 will help this, the bugginess anyway) so it's not the sort of streamlined dream program I'd envisioned, but I imagine shit will get ironed out one way or another. Sometimes you just give up and go hit the spliff.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)