aaa New Track - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: New Track

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             29-Nov-08  @  12:17 AM     Edit: 02-Dec-08  |  02:10 PM   -   New Track

droplifter

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey again! Just thought I'd put a link to a random tune I did today, after listening to and reading some comments about tuning bass drums, haha. Anyways, it's called Zorb and it's on my artist page. I'll listen to anyone who replies. Cheers!

Edit: Also Hard Evolution - Demo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             02-Dec-08  @  02:04 AM     Edit: 02-Dec-08  |  02:07 AM   -   RE: New Track

keiross

Link?: Link

It's a nice track. The main melody loop is quality.

Do we offer constructive comments here?... If we do I'd be tempted to say I'd like to hear a bassline with a bit more impact (for some reason I have always been adverse to the simple PvD style 'kick-bass-kick-bass' on the alternate beat bassline). Maybe have two bass sounds working in tandem and pan them left and right to get some width.

I've been meaning to ask, your drum loops are teh seks and your sounds crisp, where are you getting them from? Do I sense Nexus?

Message 3/12             02-Dec-08  @  10:48 AM     Edit: 02-Dec-08  |  10:59 AM   -   RE: New Track

droplifter

Cheers for the listen . Yeah I know the bass is pretty standard blah-bass but I got so caught up on the pads and gates I just threw it down all at once, spent too long trashing files and files of things that didn't sound quite right so I thought hey, get some stuff out and start again!

This track uses two loops, one runs through a bitcrusher and has some stereo widening and compression, and the main one runs through compression and I've also sliced up the .wav file to bring it up from 140bpm to whatever the track is. Also there's a clap sample added when the kick is running with some slight effects so it cuts right... I think! I've just got a royalty free set someone bought me when I started out, about 300 or so percussion loops and about 100 of each drum (kick, snare clap) and I work from all those, sometimes just a loop, other times moved about a lot more.

If you get a chance check out Frob, got a lot more complicated bass with a stereo sound on it and the percussion is a lot more complex. Well, compared!

Cheers dude I will check out tunes once I've re-formatted this God forsaken machine... still on XP SP 1!!! Time to fix.

Edit: Dude, your tracks kick ass. Particularly like 98 Stars. Usually as soon as people go harder with trance it puts me off but I'm seriously liking your style. So many synth layers! My machine drops out at about 4 moderately complex synth patches, lol. I can't even count how many you got going! But that's not to say it's over done, they're layered to perfection. Really like the progressions and arrangement, and the way you use piano/keys that cut through the leads and pads. Awexome!

Message 4/12             02-Dec-08  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: New Track

droplifter

Ok listened to what people had to say, and listened to like ALL of your tracks Keiross (because I've never done any hard stuff) and rustled up a little demo thingy... wrote all percussion loops myself, all synth patches are mine and crucially, it's hard trance: Hard Evolution - Demo

I went to town with the effects on this one, so may be too many? I ended up controlling all the reverb with different peak controllers running silently (isntead of from the audible kick) so I could have a sort of pulse going without it having to run from the kick. And the main melody has a 404 style preset which gets kinda lost but was a pain to write. Sorry to bang on.

Cheers Keiross dude, and all others who listen(ed)!

-Ellaway

Message 5/12             02-Dec-08  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: New Track

keiross

Nice work. Frob has a really nice sound (especially from 2.20 onwards). What software are you running for sequencing and sounds?

The harder demo is sounding good. I love euphoric melodies with a harder twist. The grungey sound when it kicks off is cool.. it might sound nice with some 1/4D ping pong delay on one of the parts to give it some bounce and width.

Thanks for nice comments

The production on 98 stars is pretty awful as I recall... I have a tendency to record everything extra loud, so it clips like fuck but really kicks

Oh.. and upgrade dude. Rob a bank. I was on a p4 2.6ghz that would crumble once I had four or five parts going... and a sustained pad with release was out of the question. Not great as I am effects whore and soak everything in reverb and delay too.

Now I have a quad core 2.6 with 4 gig of RAM and it fucking flies.

I can pick all the sounds I could never use before and layer and layer. It's awesome. I actually need to remind myself that I can do things now - if a track needs a minor change at some stage rather than adding the controller data I can just dupe the track and be lazy

That said, I like your stuff because you are confident enough to have a couple of parts carrying the tune. I have a tendency to pile layer on layer until I'm happy... I really need to nail the less is more approach.

Message 6/12             02-Dec-08  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: New Track

droplifter

Cheers dude. I'm running a p4 2.66ghz (always shit in multiples of .33 imo) and fruity loops. That's it. All stuff is fruity loops. I tried adding a pad to this and COMPUTER S A A Ys s s s SS s NO OO O O (crash). It sucks.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing as far as production goes. Everything I have is a product of listening to people's tunes and someone roughly showing me what a compressor did... the rest is fly by ear.

I'd like to have more layers but for instance, Sytrus (a software synth in FL studio if you don't have it) works for like, one sound, with tight adsr, anything crossing over on the notes crashes my pc. Release too long? Crash. Too many samples? Crash. That said, it has made me f**k about with things until they come out right.

The main melody on this was a sytrus but I replaced it with a 3x OSC organ patch (!) and raped it with some drive and a 4x downsampled bitcrusher. And almost everything except the kick and percussion dry is ducked or pumped or pulsed or peak controlled (delete as applicable).

99% of my stuff is one riff evolved because I can't layer, so gates and filters and arrangement are all I can fall back on.

Message 7/12             02-Dec-08  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: New Track

keiross

Fruityloops, eh? I've never used that program. I don't really know anything about it. I've encountered loads of people online who use it but your stuff blows theirs away.

Having a limited set up encourages creativity though I've always found. Rather than settling for a polished and cheesy preset you have to tailor your own sounds. I was using my Atari ST and Cubase v2 from 1985 up until a couple of years ago

I'm a clueless about production too. Never boost, always cut, what? I have a few compressors but I don't really know how to use them.. I experiment to see what sounds best, but something tells me it's got the stage where a little insider knowledge would be helpful. If you haven't already, sign-up to http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/

I say SAVE UP! Imagine a world where you can have a couple of rich pad sounds, soaked in reverb with a beautiful stereo analogue phaser filling a mix

Message 8/12             02-Dec-08  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: New Track

droplifter

Cheers dude. Well I nearly drove myself to distraction trying to learn to use fruity loops, not the actual /technical/ side, but nobody could tell me how to get away from that toytown, keyboard-on-demo SNES midi sound, if you know what I mean? So I spent ages and ages twiddling and tweaking and found a basic format I use and work from that. I was at music college but ran out of money about three years ago, and it was more about performance to be honest, should have gone into music tech. Been in the building trade since and you can guess where that took me...

I'll check that site out dude. Yeah I can imagine, but all my analogue delays and nifty effects either bark DEMO DEMO DEMO every few minutes or just won't work unless I close everything except one channel... bah. My kingdom for a job...

Message 9/12             02-Dec-08  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: New Track

keiross

I know exactly the kind of sound you're talking about. Well played though, the sounds in your tracks are like Nexus presets so all credit to you dude.

Can you plug soft synths into Fruityloops? If you can... you need to get this baby, it's free and easy on the processor: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Triangle/Default.asp

Oh and KVR is an awesome resource for loads of info on software, techniques and lolcats. And you can get into a 2135834323 page thread arguing if trance is good or not.

Message 10/12             03-Dec-08  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: New Track

k

yeah it sounds ok droplifter, perhaps not the mix balance i'd have gone for, i find the little repeating synth riff a tad too loud, and mebbe a tad dry too, but the bottom end is pumping ok... it's getting there. It is hard to do trance and not continualy compare it to large scale more commercial productions, but that shouldnt dominate your evaluation of what you turn out

As for this crashing you talk about, it seems all wrong tho - what soundcard are you using? and i assume you're using windows XP yes rather than Vista? and what do you monitor thu out of interest?

rsvp

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot