aaa The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/66             30-Apr-10  @  03:04 AM   -   The numbskull electronic tinkerer show ! x0xb0x

nutoniom

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Welcome...

(no really, i always wanted to say that in a low slightly distorted voice...sigh...)

to The numbskull electronic tinkerer show

Here, I will attempt before your very eyes to put together a monophonic, computer controlled synthesizer: a clone of the Roland TB-303.

Now that everyone and his brother has gone through this build, I feel confident enough that every one and his brother has run in every conceivable problem there is, so I plunge !

Actually it's more complicated than that. i wanted to build one for a long time, but waiting list for kits were almost a decade long (ok, slight overemphasis here, but still...)

Fortunately, ada fruit industries , the people responsible for the birth of thid magnificent clone, have found a deserving heir in the body of

Willzyx who is now supplying express kit through his shop, and soon complete kits. Hurray!!! (note that as i write this , he is out of kits, but he should have some in the coming weeks.)

Now, the x0xb0x being an open source project , anyone can build one for themselve following the provided instructions on the ada fruit site: everything is given out, code, pcb design files, cnc files, everything. But unless your proficient with all this stuff, your best bet is to go with a kit so you don't have to source every component for yourself, which can be daunting, believe me.

so, here I will be documenting my build of a x0xb0x, both for your enjoyment and mine, of course.

see you on the bench : )

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/66             30-Apr-10  @  03:07 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

speaking of the bench, here is where the build will take palce.

On the pcb holder now is a Thomas Henry Mankato filter.

Message 3/66             30-Apr-10  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

File?:  No file

Oh, I forgot:

Damn you rurik, it's all of your fault !

Oh dear : ) what memories !

edit: for claritiy's sake, I'm the idiot named as Frostbyte, Ha ! : )

edit II: rurik is xoxos, responsible for many a synthesist wet dream. He also wrote this article on dancetech (the ancestor to 7161) taht really got me into DIY : Xoxos DIY Synth repairs

I should also add in all fairness that I was showed how to solder by Blacky of infamous Voivod, prior to anything ever as far as electronics goes...

enjoy : )

edit yet again: If you've actually read that thred, yes, i still have the JX-3P and the patch buttons are, as predicted, well dead. I'm still keeping it tho', lovely synth power for the money , ha! (wich I might very well upgrade with this kit when it comes avaiable : Organix Jx-3P midi upgrade

edit II: at some point in that thread xoxoxs suggest:: ''for the cost of a programmer i'd get some crappy mono with knobs and use the jx as is'' I did follow this limpid suggestion and got a Sequential Circuits Pro-One for peanuts considering what a 303 sold for back then (over 1000$ US, 10 years ago) I still have this baby (Pro-one) and can only tell you : ''From my cold dead hands'' : )

edit III: Nowdays lair of xoxos: xoxos

Message 4/66             30-Apr-10  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

xoxos

lol, my pro-one got pried, along with everything else.. twice   aamof i've been living in a tent on another continent for the last five months because i kept getting my ass kicked so badly in the u.s.

still, i've got internet due to local kindness and managed to keep the essential laptop in my hands and am making my way through the windows api atm, so i can't be doing too badly. keeps me busy and guessing at least.

enjoy the studio and the gear! i bought the nord and z1 again, they got ripped again, i don't think i could stand going through losing a pro-one twice.

Message 5/66             30-Apr-10  @  06:09 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

That's a bummer to read old buddy. I will lick my Pro-One's pcb and keep high and send you the good vibes, hold tight.

yours for ever,
jf

Message 6/66             30-Apr-10  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

k

awww nice bench dude!!!! cant wait!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/66             30-Apr-10  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

I have most of the parts now, but I forgot one very important: a 9VAC wallwart, got plenty of DC ones but not a single AC : (, so everything is going to be delayed when i have sometime Tuesday.

Message 8/66             04-May-10  @  05:27 PM     Edit: 04-May-10  |  10:59 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

Ok, finished the I/O & power supply board and everything went like planned: the power supply is tweaked to perfection giving me stable 5,33 V to power the VCO and the smd USB chip has been charred to it's predicted death, so as planned, no USB. Frankly, i couldn't care less

Tonight the real fun begins as I start working on the VCO

later,
jf

Message 9/66             05-May-10  @  04:16 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

The VCO

Message 10/66             05-May-10  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

''Houston, we have saw the tooth fairy''

yay !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)