aaa Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             30-Aug-12  @  05:41 AM     Edit: 30-Aug-12  |  02:37 PM   -   RE: Logic 9 control surface question

sharpgoatee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Guys

I recently started using the BCF2000 with Logic 9.1.7 on a mac book pro running 10.6.8 & closely followed a great tutorial on youtube posted by Dancetech. When I open Logic's Preferences-Control surfaces setup the"Control Surface Group 1" window opens. In this configuation window "Display Mode" is listed as the second choice of Parameters you can toggle. The default selection for "Display Mode" is "value". As per the tutorial I click on "value" & it instantly toggles to the word "Name". ("Name" is where id like it to stay). But for some reason after being sure to save my Logic song before quitting it defaults right back to "Value" upon re-launching Logic. The weird thing is I also made another change in the "Relative Change Mode (near the bottom of the list) from "Coarse" to "Fine" & for whatever reason this Value is recalled by logic even though it is not the default choice for that parameter. So why ia logic saving that change but not the change i make a few notches above it in the same window??. I tried throwing out the preferences file, named “com.apple.logic.pro.cs,” located in ~/Library/Preferences. It didnt work so I also tried looking into "audio midi setup" in my utilities folder but it didnt have the bcf2000 listed as a device. Only showed my Apogee "Ensemble" & some internal mics & computer speakers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Everything else seems to be working fine in reference to other settings, faders, pans, mutes etc..
Here is a link I found with screenshots of the one im working with....Thanks

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/jp/logicpro/controlsurfacessupport/chapter_1_section_5.html

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             31-Aug-12  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

k

Link?: Link

yeah, ours doesn't save this either. Oh well at least it is only a matter of going to the setup and changing one thing before you start work.

Maybe someone can identify the line in the Preferences file to fix that permanently (if it's possible even).

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/11             31-Aug-12  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

burnunit.recordings

Whew!! Thank you so much for clearing that up...Invested several hours looking for a solution so now I can stop beating my head against the wall. Im also digging the "Fader Gain" setting so that will work fine for now.

FYI I have been using Makie's D8B for roughly 10 years & it has finally gone to mixer heaven so I picked up the Behringer as a short term solution. But after seeing that tutorial I was blown away by how much punch this little unit packs!! Did you make that YOUTUBE Tutorial?? Its brilliant!!

Not to go off topic but I am also considering the M-Audio "Project Mix." I use an Apogee Ensemble as sound card & with my D8B gone I now have nowhere to plug my 8 outputs into. I do mix in the box with Logic but use to plug my Ensemble outs into the Mackie for better serperation & used the sends to utilize some of my external hardware. A Hybrid system if you will. Do you have any suggestion or feedback on the "Project Mix"? 

Thanks again & if anyone else is reading I am open to all suggestions.

Cheers 

Message 4/11             01-Sep-12  @  12:43 PM     Edit: 01-Sep-12  |  01:16 PM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

k

well the project mix was partly a controller, so now you are free to choose a small mixer for  mixer qualities alone.

Soundcraft perhaps? cost a bit more but generally well respected. Maybe something like the m-series?

If you really want to spend some money how about Toft?
http://www.toftaudio.com/

It'll cost alot; chinese made but supposed to be superb. Something like this:
http://www.toftaudio.com/atb08.html

Oram would be another more esoteric choice, but no doubt very costly:

Check the oram S100
http://www.john-oram.com/index.php?/blacklook.html

Or there's always mackie of course, and other usual suspects

Given the price of "real" mixers (toft/oram etc) built the old fashioned way, it might be worth thinking about an old 70's/80's British Studiomater or AHB (allen&heath), which can be had very cheap, and have good classic british eq's, but then spend a bit more having one fully serviced and fixed up so it is clean, no crackles and everything works 100%. On paper such old mixers are technically "noisier", but the sound is bloody superb.

btw, you have an Ensemble. Nice!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/11             03-Sep-12  @  04:27 AM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

burnunit.recordings

Wow I really enjoy reading your responces!! I actually almost bought a Mackie 1604 as my very first mixer (many moons ago) but after hearing those sweet sounding british eq's on the Allen & Heath it quickly came home with me lol.. You suggested some very nasty mixers including that Toft!! Is it also a controller?? The only problem is I have to keep it way more affordable til the budget allows.  

Ive been forced to mix in the box (logic9) since my D8B died a few months ago. Now that im losing that dependency for a mixer I am ready to move on to a nice controller so I can lose the mouse for all those parameters I miss being hands on with. But the catch is I still have some cool hardware I wanna utilize here & there & need an easy way to patch them into the mix. Believe me I seriously wouldnt mind having a straight controller if it wasnt for all those nice sounding tube amps & hardware I will never part with. Its a sin to have them collecting dust you know lol...

The Behringer is a nice little package but I definitely would like a happy medium (controller/8 ch mixer in one unit).  Let me know what comes to mind & big thanks for all your help.

Message 6/11             03-Sep-12  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

k

sorry; did I mis-read your previous post? So you would like a mixer and controller in one?

The problem is, there's not much choices at an affordable price to get decent mixer facilities AND good DAW control all in one. You could use something like a s/h 01v96, but it doesnt offer much for stuff like inserts and sends, and that's gonna be the issue for any mixer/daw-controller unless you spend serious money.

So if you have the desk space in your studio, perhaps it's better to keep the bcf2000 for controlling the daw and also add a real hardware mixer (perhaps an old one as i mentioned before) for summing your mix and adding in external hardware processors/fx

?

Message 7/11             05-Sep-12  @  08:36 PM     Edit: 05-Sep-12  |  08:48 PM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

burnunit.recordings

I just want to optimise workflow & stop using the mouse so much. Doesnt have to be in one package but my first thought was to keep everything as compact as possible.

I actually had a chance to play with the maudio "project mix" the other day. I have to say the "Controller part of it is very nice. The behringer is great too but having realtime values on the m-audio mixer screen keeps me from constantly looking up at computer monitors. I also really liked the labels it assigns to each channel. If I grab one I would just use the controller part with logic & keep the audio inputs for convenient playback of devices...Ipod, turntables/cd players & controlling my nearfield monitor volume. Id reserve my outboard hardware/fx for mixdown & keep them on a patch bay connected directly to the Ensemble. 

Here are some options my peers suggested.

Since I alread own 1 Pure Path "Channel in a box" (Rupert Neve design) I was told to just get another for final stereo mix. I also have 2 Avalon 737's for same idea just different sound.

Dangerous Music summing unit (I think it was the D-Box) I have to look a little further into the options with this unit.

& the most affordable.... Combine Logic's internal mixer with my Ensemble's ins/outs & simply send/return through external hardware.

Decisions Decisions!!

Message 8/11             11-Sep-12  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

k

choices indeed! Depends what u want I spose;  "sheen, gloss, body & definition" or "grit, edge, grunk & definition"... or to put it another way, "expensive sounding" or "cheap/er & not so subtle"

not sure what music you are doing, i'd like to hear some.

Message 9/11             11-Nov-12  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

datapeddler

I definitely like warm & expensive sounding lol. What do you think about the Focusrite 2802? My budget is looking better now & this mixer seems to have it all..Front end, mix down/summing & daw

Message 10/11             11-Nov-12  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: Behringer BCF2000 & Logic 9

k

well it's expensive and you still need a daw audio interface to go with it to get audio in/out of your daw; possibly it's overkill for a project studio tbh.

Do you need that many mic/line inputs etc?

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)