aaa Question about Logic - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Question about Logic

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 18-Nov-05  @  03:08 PM   -   Question about Logic

Kmotr

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi everyone...

Here is my situation. I'm new to recording, don't have any software or a soundcard yet. Trying to get as much information BEFORE I spend money.

I have an MPC and S950 sampler that I need to be able to record. There are some programs that have been suggested to me .... Logic, Live and ProTools. It seems like many people with a hardware set up similar to mine incorporate software programs as a composing tool, not just as a recorder. They say it gives them more flexibility, but I'm not really sure how. Is it for further sound shaping? Is it easier to record a few bars of a MPC beat and create a song in the software?

I read something very interesting about Logic:

" I set up a PC system recently for some guy who only had an MPC & was doing hiphop, and he was saying how you cant get jay-z or whoever style beats any other way than an MPC so that's why he bought it.

He didnt know the groove teplate bit of Logic tho, so i sampled a 1-bar rhythm loop from a jay-z cd he had into logic, trimmed it just right, then filtered out the bottom-end and created a midi quantise template from the audio loop working off the remaining top-end audio... hats/shakers etc.

then we filtered out the top-end and created another quantise template from the bottom-end groove (kiks & snare/claps, bass etc)

then I did him a quick new 'jay-z' style/feel beat from scratch, using new drum samples/battery VSTi & a new bassline using the ESM synth in logic by applying the created quantise to the new patterns

he was totaly gutted cos it only took about 2 minutes & had exactly the same groove but with a totaly different drum & bass pattern"

I'm really new to this stuff and would like to know if I understand what it's saying. The person basically sampled a part of a song and turned the audio into MIDI. I thought it meant that you could substitute the drum sounds for your own or the bass notes for your own, but the pattern would remain the same.

But then it says that "it only took about 2 minutes & had exactly the same groove but with a totaly different drum & bass pattern". How come the new track had different drum & bass pattern? I thought the pattern would be the same, like in the original song.

As I said, I'm new to this and I'm obviously missing something. Would you guys mind helping me out and explaining this process to me?

Any tips on a workflow or how to integrate the MPC + S950 combo with a software program would be great.

Thanks a lot.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/11             24-Nov-05  @  11:48 PM     Edit: 24-Nov-05  |  11:49 PM   -   RE: Question about Logic

Kmotr

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Thanks again for another very informative post.

You've been very helpful and answered a lot of my questions ......

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)