aaa CZ101 display help? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: CZ101 display help?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 15-Oct-03  @  09:07 AM   -   CZ101 display help?

Bastiaan

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Well, I'm on a budget roll again: I just got myself a brand new (well, second hand) CZ101 with 2 RA-3 memory cartridges and a memory cartridge for my yamaha tg500 (MCD64) for just 110 Euro. The guy that sold it to me even brought the stuff to my home, including midi-cables, software and all the manuals. ;)

I think I got a good deal, but I have a question about the display of the cz101.

It's a bit dim and one or 2 lines of pixels are 'dead'. It's not a big deal to me, but I could of course replace the LCD couldn't I? It's a standard 16x2 character display I reckon, but I have never done such thing in my life. Anyone have done such a thing before? Anyone have any tips or things I should be looking for? What should I be looking for?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/15             26-Oct-03  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: CZ101 display help?

dr_haskell

Link?:  No link

You could try and track down a copy of Emagic Soundiver, I love my CZ1000 but its a pain to program from the buttons even with a working screen!

Message 12/15             30-Oct-03  @  03:30 PM     Edit: 30-Oct-03  |  03:32 PM   -   RE: CZ101 display help?

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

Link?: Link

Yeah, I second the SoundDiver idea. I can't tell you how much easier it makes editing older synths with less than intuitive UIs. Well maybe I can. SoundDiver makes a synth engine's architecture much clearer which in itself makes programming much easier. If you can visualize the signal flow then you can get more predictable results straight away and SoundDiver profiles allow you to see what is going where. The common editing interface that SoundDiver brings to the table helps you focus more on programming sounds than the various ergonomic differences between synths. You may begin to see all your different synths as a single large synth with a variable architecture. You would be surprised how simple the CZ series architecture actually is once you see it on a computer screen. That brings me to one of the few drawbacks. Monitor real estate can be an issue. My laptop monitor won't display the entire editing window in some of the profiles for the more complex synths, like the K2000. A 17 inch monitor would solve this, however. I'm also surprised by the absence of certain profiles like the Poly/EX800. Still, I highly recommend it and see special pricing on it all the time.

Message 13/15             30-Oct-03  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: CZ101 display help?

Bastiaan

Isn't Emagic pulling out from the PC market? I'll take that software for a spin. Perhaps try out sound-diver too. Would increase my use of the TG's programming capacities a bit too. ;)

Message 14/15             31-Oct-03  @  04:51 AM   -   RE: CZ101 display help?

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

I wonder about that as well. I haven't heard about anything but Logic. I think it is sort of "open source" in that users can create profiles so it has the potential to keep growing even without support from Apple. It would be unfortunate if it did not because I personally don't like Unisyn's overall look. Sure, its what's inside the program that counts but SoundDiver just looks less like software than Unisyn. Do give SoundDiver a spin though it really does change your perception. I think I posted a pic of my kit at some point so if you've seen it you can appreciate how significant it is to be able to see it all as a whole through a single, consistant, UI.

Message 15/15             01-Nov-03  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: CZ101 display help?

Bastiaan

Thanks for the tip....nice to see me asking about 'modding' (or replacing) an LCD turns into software advice.... ;)

p.s. Support from SQ is great though: they even helped me set up my tg500 (obsolete) with a DEMO version of their software...

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot