aaa Which portable recorder? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Which portable recorder?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 26-Nov-06  @  08:41 PM     Edit: 26-Nov-06  |  08:42 PM   -   Which portable recorder?

Musineer Productions

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Right, I've decided I'm going to get a personal/portable recorder...but which one?

I remember when everyone was grumbling about their portable DATs breaking when they took them out, and don't want to spend on something that'll crap out in a couple of months, so...

Is anyone really pleased with their choice of digital portable recorder? If so what did you get?

Ideally I'd like to record wav files, but high quality MP3 would be ok I suppose.

I doubt I'll need days of recording time, a few hours should do.

I don't want to spend a lot.

Any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             05-Dec-06  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

yes it's usually some gabbled response about R&D costs...but there's also an issue about maximum possible profit and the gullibility of buyers.

Anyway, it's gone blart as the recharger was American voltage (not just the beer & coffee that's weak). No doubt they cost a packet from someone else recovering research costs as well as making a living.

I was mid-bolsh when I noticed the digital video camera snuck away under the missus' desk. That cost so much she only told me it was £200 more in the UK. It does however have a mic, and records 16bit at 48khz, so I'll be giving that a go.

So, should anyone encounter a digital portable-recorder that does at least 44.1 / 16bit, that costs about £100, please post the details!

Message 12/18             07-May-08  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

Musineer Productions

Updating this.

I've splashed out and squandered £15 on a Technika 2GB USB-stick recorder/player from Tesco.

It records 16-bit wavs at various rates from 8 to 44.1kHz.

The recordings are okay, limited I think by the buttonhole mic.

I'm going to get another one and butcher it to see if I can attach a better mic. Bit worried about impedances so I'm waiting for the Technika techies to get back to me.

So I've almost got what I want. Someone needs to manufacture something like this little thing, only one that records in stereo and has a mic input socket. I'd pay X3 for that. C'mon you manufacturers, a portable stereo recorder for under £50!

Has anyone encountered such a thing for such a price?

Message 13/18             08-May-08  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

k

this? (£74.49 tho)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/18             08-May-08  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

Musineer Productions

Aha! Yes! Such as that. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

And £75 is half-way between my old and new price range so it's bearable.

I wonder how much the cards are though. I'll have to have a look about.

Message 15/18             08-May-08  @  09:37 AM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

k

ZOOM H-4

thats the one i'd want if i had the spare for it because of the built in cross-mic pair of condensers, but i already own a minidisk recorder

zoom have a new one which offers various mic configs, but i never tried this new one

zoom h-2

it has 4 mics built in and can do 4 chanel surround recording or various stereo. Looks really good and does up to 96k recording

videos of it on this page:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

much pricier those 2 tho, dunno about ebay, i never bought anything off ebay

thomann do their own brand SD 2gb card for 11 quid btw (which would fit the swiss sonic)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/18             08-May-08  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

Malcolm Jeffery

ZOOM H2 get it for 150 quid from america get the sender to say its only worth 15 quid and u
want pay any duty   , sounds really good has impressive mic positions, looks like a
microphone contains 3 mics, u can record front back side omni all that stuff capture a spread out
band, small, records high quality wavs mp3 ect, friend has one sounds very good!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 17/18             08-May-08  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

Musineer Productions

Malcolm Jeffery wrote:

get the sender to say its only worth 15 quid and u want pay any duty

Cheers for the advice but I'm shocked that a DT user would contemplate such a thing

I worry about the septic power packs. Sometimes they can cost £50 odd too. All the surround sound gadgetry is fine and well but can be created during a mix if necessary. Ultimately, I'm too tight to pay over £100 for something that I feel should cost less than £50 these days.

£86 for a 2Gb Zoom jobby seems to suit my wallet size. It looks big though. I really want a small stereo USB-stick type thing with a mic input.

Message 18/18             09-May-08  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: Which portable recorder?

k

apparently it also functions as a stand-alone USB mic too (the H-2)

I'd love one meself cos of the convenience.I own a minidisk walkman size sony, very good and all that but it's still compressed audio only and the fiddlyness of disks etc and mechanical disk drive systems which can f9ck up where a data card has no moving parts etc. Cant justify the expenditure tho cos it's not an essential.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)