aaa Newt Oon - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Newt Oon

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Mar-11  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: Newt Oon

NastyM

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi chaps n chapesses
Drooped a new tune - not sure i've sorted my drum probs, but if you could let us know what you think or how i can tidy it up would appreciate comments.
Cheers M

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             21-Mar-11  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: Newt Oon

NastyM

Cheers K
have had a quick listen (unfortunately cant do much at work) but the bass section later on is far clearer. i think i need to reread your comments in both posts and try to implement your suggestions 
Many thanks your help is really appreciated
Cheers M

Message 12/19             27-Mar-11  @  04:09 PM     Edit: 27-Mar-11  |  04:22 PM   -   RE: Newt Oon

Malcolm Jeffery

Link?: Link

Hi there's some nice feel here, thoughtful pianos moving into electronic sequences adorned with glitchy fx, joined latter by a fierce guitar and round bass, all this sitting on realistic drums, breaking down and reprising out the end.

I would filter out everything under 40 hz and drop a shelf at 75 hz a couple of db to tighten it up, perhaps address that on the bass guitar and piano separately.
Also its always worth trying to drop out a couple of dbs centered at 500 hz with a wide gently q, sometimes dont work as it messes up the mix, but some times even 3.5 db works and just cleans up the track and gives it space.

Before final mastering limiting or compression, remember your loudest peaks should not exceed between -6 to -3db, this alows the uber compression and limiting to have some headroom before squashing to infinity if thats you thing.
its worth trying one mix where its already at 0db and one where its -6 db at the peaks then compress limit what ever you want, the lower db one always sounds nicer and goes louder before crushing, not that its about loudness!

The drums need to be a bit louder , although adjusting the  bass as mentioned above would help, then you would just balance kick drum of kit with bass of bass guitar and piano,
i can hear that the drums want to be in the back ground but i would still bring up a tad once bass ends sorted.also kick drums need to be checked to see if its in tune dosent matter so much for some music for others it has to not be discordant with any other bass freq, trance/dance music has the kick in tune with the bass in fact its the root note of your main bass line,
but i wander as its probably not to important with a real sounding kit but note worthy even if to just eq out bass freq clashes.!

also when i streamed this live into logic all at unity or as close as i could, some bits overload 0 db, particularly a high glitchy sound fx that clipped quickly and surely would trigger any compression added latter to alter the volume of the whole track at that point,even if your master isnt clipping the volume of these fx in comparison to rest of track will cause probs on any compression at a latter date. the electric guitar needs to sit a bit more into the mix maybe just volume down a bit and watch too much harshness, as some fx sounds and the guitar where reinforcing the harshness when playing together, perhaps the guitar is fine just the fx over doing the mids and high mids., there are some very high freq fx that happen as ornaments, and to my ears and on the display of logics channel eq set to high you can see high levels of very high freq sound, on a big system your ears would not like this, and any compression added to final mix would pump and flutter.
Hope thats ok and not to much its just my opinion on a few production things, iam by no means an expert,and the music sounds good.
I once as a kid fell out of a tree which ripped off most of my trousers but kept me hanging upside down in a friends garden in my pants, and his whole family aunts and uncles and cousins all there for a day out came out and laughed and i just cried with embarrassment, i mean 7 years old and y fronts to loads of adults
i like trees though so no lasting mental damage, my album though is called
"Yfronts mess you up a tree"lol.
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 13/19             28-Mar-11  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: Newt Oon

Mortimer

He means its clipping. And yes indeed, its clipping. Or it was clipping, but I have not loaded the new version yet. Put a limiter on end of the master. Does your compressor have limiter built in? If so activate it and that'll end problem clipping.

Message 14/19             28-Mar-11  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: Newt Oon

Malcolm Jeffery

Well mortimer just limiting is wrong and bad advice,if the sound is to loud fullstop it should be fixed before mastering, or when the limiter limits, the whole track, it will limit even more at the point of the original overload and alter the whole mix, yes no more clipping but weird stuff as the limiter does even more work.

Try it, record a big pad at -20 db and then have a random hi hat pop in every now and again at 0 db, then limit the whole track, the pad will sound ok until hi hat comes in. never fix at the end stage, just sort it earlier and dont go over - 6 db, the lots of head room to use when mastering.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 15/19             29-Mar-11  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Newt Oon

Mortimer

Ya thanks...I'm always looking for better solutions.

I have not had the problem you mention. But all my mixdowns have aprox 12db dynamic range. Hence all my insturments are loud and that could be why I dont have a problem with the limiter on the master proccess. Then again, its all subjective and for that reason somebody else might say it sounds like poop.

There's always a limiter on my master. And your suggesting thats a bad idea?

Message 16/19             29-Mar-11  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Newt Oon

Malcolm Jeffery

No not at all, iam just saying that the track should not have any extreme sounds or frequencies that jump out at you, and are too loud compared to other sounds.
anything that needs serious limiting to contain or control, should be delt with on the individual track or channel not on the master output, in fact if the track dont sound real good without any limiting or compression, then it needs work.

Once you have a balanced track with no lumps or bumps in the bass end and no ear slicing highs or any harsh or brittle mids, and everything plays nicely together, then limiting and multiband compression can make it better or kill it! but for added density and to keep up with this savage loudness war, a bit of limiting will make it sound as loud as a comercial mix if you want, although i hope we ease of a bit on loudness as dynamics has gone out the window somewhat in some music.

Malk 

Message 17/19             29-Mar-11  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Newt Oon

Mortimer

Hey now. Wait a minute. We love extreme sounds or frequencies that jump out at you. Watch what you saying there tough guy.

"...the track should not have any extreme sounds or frequencies that jump out at you, and are too loud compared to other sounds."

That's audio blasphemy.

Message 18/19             30-Mar-11  @  12:44 AM   -   RE: Newt Oon

NastyM

I'll get my coat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F5wtk4msfU

ps cheers for the advice its a lot to take in at this stage ......back in 2012.

Message 19/19             30-Mar-11  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Newt Oon

Malcolm Jeffery

Lol, but you rarely get stuff that sounds wrong in pro done music it always fits there is only so much head room!, dynamics means you get loud and quiet, ive not heard a bit of music where in the middle of a pounding track a sound fx that splits your ears damages your speakers pops up, youd surely notice and go oo that was loud.

maybe iam wrong, you might have cds of tibeten monks chanting soft mantras, then a man with a chain saw comes in and saws up gamelan bells for the chorus all passed through a ring modulator.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot