aaa what chipset for trance? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: what chipset for trance?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jul-02  @  04:12 PM   -   what chipset for trance?

milan

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

ok, i´m almost ready to get out of stone ages and get a new pc...

so... i have an Echo Gina20 soundcard. would something like ASUS A7V333 and Athlon xp be ok, or is this a no-no because of Via KT chipset? Echo site says KT133 is ok, but this is a KT333 and i have no idea really... i actually hate pc´s, so please clue me in.

muchos gracias, M.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/39             05-Jul-02  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

Link?: Link

too late now... EPOX should be here by monday if all goes well. fingers crossed everyone, please  

now... if this doesnt work as expected, i´m selling everything and learning to play acoustic guitar :P

Message 12/39             05-Jul-02  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

oh, and, any reason NOT to get cheaper XP 1700 and more ram, as opposed to faster cpu and less ram?

please, i gotta get this one right :-/

Message 13/39             05-Jul-02  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

99devils

Not really. All you're buying yourself is a couple months extra usage before your PC is ready for the bin.

-Craig

Message 14/39             05-Jul-02  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

yeah, i thought so too. tnx for reassurance, craig  

Message 15/39             05-Jul-02  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

99devils

It's really all about maximum power per dollar (or pound, franc, yen, whatever). I mean, if money was no object, you'd be buying a new box every 2 months anyways, right?

I always buy at least 1 step slower CPU than maximum, because you generally get the best break on price there. Plus, you have the advantage of having equipment that's been real world tested, to some degree. You aren't the guinea pig.

My 2 cents anyways.

-Craig

Message 16/39             05-Jul-02  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

influx

Korg Oasys

on the way out though cuz its just not getting used. Gonna get an RME digi 96/8 pst

Message 17/39             06-Jul-02  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Mindspawn

Craig's advice is excellent, IMO. I've been building machines that are "just under the current max" for over 10 years and it's worked well for me and those I've built them for. No sense in paying through the nose for a few clock cycles that'll be half the price in a few months...

Influx, let me kinow how you like the RME as I'm thinkin' of goin' that route on my next build (which should be fairly soon...).

Peace

Message 18/39             07-Jul-02  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

ok, another Q for anyone who can be bothered to answer:

have you had to use IRQ routing software to fix soundcard problems, and more importantly does it work? and is it complicated to do?

i know i´m being quite anal here, but after having problems for ages i guess you understand why i´m so picky about the whole thing.

tnx all, M.

Message 19/39             09-Jul-02  @  10:27 PM     Edit: 09-Jul-02  |  10:27 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

okay.....

after a long night of installing, reinstalling, asigning and reasigning irq´s and else, and o/c installing the software the whole day long, i can now say that MY NEW PC WORKS! yippie!  

epox 8kha+, xp1700, echo gina... all working in harmony. thanks to all the tips here on DT, i might not have to start learning acoustic guitar after all ;)

cheers, M.

Message 20/39             11-Jul-02  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

Link?:  No link

you got the same spec box as Influx now then?..

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)