aaa by jove i've got it! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: by jove i've got it!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 14-Nov-02  @  06:28 PM   -   by jove i've got it!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

In realtion to an earlier post entitled 'help my bass sounds crap!', I thought I should let you all know that I've cracked it. And it wasn't what I thought. I had the right tone to the bass but it still wasn't punchy. After some messing about, I found that if I set assign Source to Filter Envelope and the Destination to Filter Decay, it really tightens up the decay and gives the bass a really nice punchy click at the beginning, as opposed to the loose sounding click that I was not liking.

I know it is a bit of a rant, but I am very happy with myself! And I hope it helps others.

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             04-Jan-03  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

psylichon

Link?: Link

i hear what you're saying. Unfortunately, my trusty little Nova doesn't seem to allow me to change the phase of my LFO's. your trick has led me to some nice throaty, dirty FMish basses though. thanks!

psy

Message 12/22             04-Jan-03  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

Steve Roughley

I'm allways glad to help indirectly  

Steve.

Message 13/22             05-Jan-03  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

influx

Link?:  Link

hey steve..on the virus you can set the LFO to envelope mode, so...you wouldnt need that second LFO modulating the square wave one.

Message 14/22             10-Jan-03  @  04:35 AM     Edit: 10-Jan-03  |  04:36 AM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

timothyallanmusic

I'm a little confuzzzed. I'm trying to do this on my MOSS board (Korg Z1)...

>Then set an LFO to a square wave at a fairly slow rate.

did it.

> Next, set up the LFO to trigger on each note and to modulate the filters on your bass. Positive modulation amounts...

did it.

> Now edit the timing of the LFO so that the square wave drops (enters the negative part of the duty cycle) just after the start of the note.

Ok, but to get a fast click, wouldnt that mean speeding up the LFO? In which case, all I get is a square LFO turning on and off my filter... Unlesssss, does the Virus have a setting where you can set the LFO to go only once? or am i totally out of the ballpark? heheh

tim

Message 15/22             10-Jan-03  @  06:11 AM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

influx

Link?:  Link

you can set the virus LFOs to envelope mode, which makes them only trigger once

but taht wasnt what steve meant

Message 16/22             10-Jan-03  @  11:42 AM     Edit: 10-Jan-03  |  11:44 AM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

Steve Roughley

File?:  [image]

[image file]

OK, these images show a square wave LFO. The red line marks the point from which the LFO is played when a note is triggered. This is what I mean by adjusting the timing. Wave 2, shows a rough idea of where you want the LFO to be triggered.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Message 17/22             10-Jan-03  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

timothyallanmusic

Coolio, yup that totally helps, but I don't think I can do it on my board. I'll have to try when i get home tonight.

t

Message 18/22             21-Feb-03  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

greg

another good way to produce a pronounced click is to set a quick envelope- just attack and decay to negaitively modulate the pulse width on a square wave.. what happens is that on note down the pulse width is modulated down to a tight setting and then back up again v quickly- produces a nice click if you get it right.....

greg

Message 19/22             22-Feb-03  @  01:53 AM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

Steve Roughley

Good thinking   God, I love synthesis. It's a wonder that I ever get a track together at all!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 20/22             18-Mar-03  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: by jove i've got it!

dubmunkey

me too, recently ive been getting some nice clicky basses and then cheating by running them through Maxxbass and then putting them back into my sampler- best of both worlds- click and oomph- yey!

Greg

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)