aaa mmt8 sucks! what else? - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: mmt8 sucks! what else?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 11-Dec-02  @  06:51 PM   -   mmt8 sucks! what else?

jp

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

why anyone would continue to use this arcaic box of garbage is beyond me. yes, i'm bitter, i just started using one a couple months ago and last night i lost EVERYTHING! you can't even back your data up properly. recording pings onto a tape recorded or HD. what is that all about. sure, it was great 30 years ago maybe but there surely must be something better now right?

the main reason i started using it was so that i would not have to stop and start between tracks. i want to have a continuos non stop thing going on. can you do this on an mpc?

basically, this is what i want the sequencer to do:

1. controll midi
2. be able to play an entire set (at least 1 hour) without having to stop and start
3. it would be great to find one that could record onthe fly

any suggestions? i'd even consider a laptop if these ideas where worked out. please help!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/33             12-Dec-02  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

errata

makes for smoother transitions if you use all 16 tracks of the sequencer. So that you don't just jump from track to track (too many FLEM's do this, IMO). With 2 you can control seperate pieces of gear and have seemless transitions...

e

Message 12/33             12-Dec-02  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

influx

Link?:  Link

hey jp..is the MMT8 the only sequencer you have?

you do have your PC....and odds are you could obtain a soft sequencer

you COULD dump all the data of the MMT that way...a full sysex dump.

of course...no good to load back up on stage..sorry...my bad 

Message 13/33             12-Dec-02  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

k

qx3

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/33             12-Dec-02  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

jp

qx3? tell me more! please.

influx, i have a mac but the mmt8 isn't a sysex thing. you have to record from tape out...recording these archaic ping of information...and then play this audio back into the tape in of the mmt8. at the moment, i would rather not try playing live if this is what i have to go through. it's just unacceptable.

what i would rather do is find a sequencer that does the job. but i am finding that that is a difficult task.

qx3? never even heard of it. time for a search.

Message 15/33             12-Dec-02  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

influx

"influx, i have a mac but the mmt8 isn't a sysex thing. you have to record from tape out...recording these archaic ping of information...and then play this audio back into the tape in of the mmt8. at the moment, i would rather not try playing live if this is what i have to go through. it's just unacceptable. "

sorry man, but...read your manual. Ive DONE total dumps to another sequencer. I know it uses tape, but you can do it my way, too. and its VERY quick

Message 16/33             12-Dec-02  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

nomad

Link?: Link

yeah, alesis made the 'mididisk' or something as i recall, it was basically a sysex recorder and a disk drive, and i know of at least one person that had an mmt8 + mididisk and would send his patterns to the mididisk via sysex and then save them on disk there. not as quick as an internal disk drive, but just as effective.

ironically a q80ex, with its 64K sysex recording ability, might also work here (receive sysex, save to disk)... i dunna remember if the regular q80 does this too...

Message 17/33             12-Dec-02  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

nomad

i meant alesis _datadisk_ of course.

Message 18/33             12-Dec-02  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

xoxos

it's sysex capable, don't recall that figure tho.

Message 19/33             12-Dec-02  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

jp

influx, no appologies necessary. if it is possible to do sysex dumps i will be thrilled! that would totally change my mind about using the mmt8. the question is though, do i need to to have the alesis datadisk or can i dump to another medium...storing it as a file in logic or something? i will read my manual when i get home...and i'll do it with a bit more encouragement. thanks!

Message 20/33             12-Dec-02  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

jp

influx, thanks again. if you hadn't said you've done sysex i would have thrown my mmt8 in the trash. now, not only does it seem viable to backup my songs...but i can load midi sequences from logic via sysex. i'm again excited to work on a live set!

from my search today i found the following from http://www.mmt8.com

How can I use a computer to backup my parts and songs?
How do I get sysex data in and out of my MMT-8?
If your computer has a MIDI interface, then you can store the entire contents of your MMT-8s memory on the computer's hard drive via sysex. Sysex is simply control information that can be sent through MIDI cables; in this case, the MMT-8 uses sysex to dump its memory. The memory files can be sent back to the MMT-8 in a similar fashion.

Here is a 'how-to' using Alesis' Freeloader software. Most computer-based sequencers will allow you to receive and send sysex.

Can I convert MMT-8 sysex files to and from MIDI files?
Yes. Pete Kvitek's MMT-8 Exchange will let you do exactly that, and has many other useful functions. The software costs $19.95.

Alternatively, you could look at Giebler Enterprise's MMT-8 Sequencer Conversion Software, which is more expensive and hasn't got a nice Windows interface.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)