aaa Good deal or what? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Good deal or what?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 13-Nov-03  @  12:54 AM   -   Good deal or what?

Defector Z

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm seeing the Nord Micro Modular for sale at Novamusik for $295US. What's up with that? Is this a good deal or what?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/34             14-Nov-03  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

Defector Z

Link?: Link

I think my biggest hole is drums sounds. That's why I like the idea of the Jomox. I also have trouble getting the "right" bass sometimes. I can get plenty of good bass, but sometimes you need a could accoustic style bass line, you know? Get it really rolling...

Anyhow, I have a pretty good selelction of sounds. Analog modelling (DarkStar), analog (DSI), wavetable (XT), sample/rom (k2000). The only thing missing really is subtractive like an FS1R, or something like that, or a true VA like a Virus. I don't know - I'm open to ideas. This money fell into my lap so I'm thinking it would be fun to get something I normally wouldn't buy. And don't suggest radiation treatment. ;-)

Message 12/34             14-Nov-03  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

influx

dont mean to jerk your chain but you better check your info on the FS1R...

as for what Id suggest?

you already have enough synths, man, and you should be able to get ANY sound out of those...

except a true real bass sound  get an old P-Bass

Message 13/34             14-Nov-03  @  06:14 AM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

queasy00

if you do go the non-drum route, i'd say definately go for the bass guitar... sometimes there's just nothing like a real bass groove with that human touch.

-j

Message 14/34             14-Nov-03  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

milan

Def Z... FS1R is FM and formant synthesis, dude...

blow your money on the boat i say!

Message 15/34             14-Nov-03  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

craig

I've got an old Ibenez bass. Doesn't sound too bad, and it's not screwed together too badly either.

If you're looking for drum synths, make sure you check out the Waldorf Attack. NovaMusik has 'em for $549 and I'm loving mine.

-Craig

Message 16/34             14-Nov-03  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

Defector Z

You're absolutely right about the FS1R. I was thinking FM and I typed subtractive. Sorry about that.

I'm really leaning in the bass direction. I was planning on plugging either directly into the board, or I could go through a ToneFactory as a DI. Also have a RNC for compression. Anyhow, a good friend recommended Fender basses - the precision bass (according to him) has quieter electronics so it would be better for recording. Ultimately, that's the thing I am most interested in - the pickups on my Peavey 6 string (otherwise a REALLY nice guitar) are loud when around ANYTHING electrical. A 9volt battery throws it off.

Anyhow. I'm not really hurting for synthesis, but something that does good kickdrums is important. I don't do well programming my synths for percussives, unfortunately.

Message 17/34             14-Nov-03  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

Defector Z

Craig - I'm hoping to stay away from software. I'm considering pluggin my ESI4000 back in... :-(

Message 18/34             14-Nov-03  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

influx

DZ...plugging your bass directly into your board aint gonna do ya so good, but the tone factory will, DEFINITELY sound good on bass

as for percussion, well...since youre so paranoid about software...youre missing out on a world of possibility, even if its just sample creation to dump in your ESI

Message 19/34             15-Nov-03  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

Defector Z

I know what you're saying Dave, but you know my experience with computers and software. NOTHING goes smoothly for me. I'm just excited that my OS is stable (knock on wood), Sonar and Sound Forge are kinda running together (although for some reason I can't use any SF plugs in Sonar and vice versa. Adding another layer in there just makes me more worried.

Message 20/34             15-Nov-03  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: Good deal or what?

influx

I dont think youre "supposed" to be able to use SF plugins in Sonar...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)