aaa Just picked up an OB-8 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Just picked up an OB-8

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 24-Nov-03  @  09:22 PM   -   Just picked up an OB-8

Influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

havent gotten very far yet, but man...

I cant lie and say I dont notice a difference in the sound between this and my virus.

warm indeed

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/32             01-Dec-03  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

influx

xpander's here

wow.

odd, but both Obie's have very low output volume...

and then the ProphetVS is here, too! heh...I see how the WS was modeled after it. sounds like one, but..cooler 

Message 12/32             02-Dec-03  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

Link?: Link

fookinell, is that for personal use too or just to sell on?

Message 13/32             02-Dec-03  @  06:14 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

influx

dunno...usually when I get stuff to sell, I dont even bother putting it to use aside from testing all functions, as I dont want to get suckered in, but...the Xpander has a rep for bein one hell of a beast...

need a manual though. not like I cant get around on it, but...nice to have...

probably sell it. need money more than toys right now. such is the benefit of my current profession I guess. play with toys

Message 14/32             02-Dec-03  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

pwoaar...!

Message 15/32             18-Dec-03  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Raphael

Link?:  No link

Dont want to sound like a complete idiot. But what exactly makes the X-pander such a great synth comparable to the newer ones out there today? Just curious.

Message 16/32             18-Dec-03  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

it looks bloody cool, thats what   oh, and supposed to sounds pretty good too.

yo inlux... you dont need all that hardware shit mate! just get synthedit or something! how about it? ;)

Message 17/32             19-Dec-03  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Tom

Raphael,

the ob, was in its day what todays synths try to emulate. Its an analog monster. I think you really have to hear it to understand/appreciate it (i've never heard one either). I know it may seems like many people say tubes or old analog synths sound great, but it is true. You just have to hear them.

Tom

Message 18/32             19-Dec-03  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Broken Silence

Okay- first off its pure analog...none of this VA shit. The sound (even though I'm assuming from what I've heard from demos and what not..never heard the "real deal") is ing amazing. Then look at the specs... believe it or not, it even smashes out some of the new VA's with 5 LFO's, 15VCA, and 5ASDR envelopes per voice.

Probably the most notable feature is that it has 6 separate outputs for the 6 voices which you can also make 6 multitimbral parts from. That's crazy for this sort of synth. Not to mention it's probably one of the most beautiful synths ever crafted...that's where access got their design from  

Then the keyboard version is the Matrix 12 which has 12! voices..its more like the "suped up" version of the Xpander as it has double the polyphony and even more programability...obie's got a few golden ones that will be around for a while. (the m12 looks alot like the new MS2000's if you throw up 2 pics of em side by side...)

Message 19/32             20-Dec-03  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

didnt expander have DCOs?

Message 20/32             20-Dec-03  @  11:25 AM     Edit: 20-Dec-03  |  11:27 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

oh... VCOs and VCF indeed. but lot of stuff is digitaly generated/controlled.

believe it or not i actually found some audio demos, check it out:

http://www.sequencer.de/mp/xpander_demo.mp3

http://www.sequencer.de/mp/xpander_demo2.mp3

hehe... not too impressive is it? now imagine a bit of eq, compression, and a nice chorus on them. mmm...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot