aaa E-Mu 1812m - wow! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 08-Sep-04  @  06:20 PM   -   E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

tried one today.... video will be up soon.... VERY VERY impressed. Super build quality, loverly mic pre's, bloody brilliant, albeit not a cheap item.... I video'd a short review for those who want to see a bit more than a single promo picture online - wait till you see the thing!!!... beautiful build quality!.... routing is comprehensive using the applet, built-in dsp fx which can be assigned within the s/w host sequencer (however, they are mostly additive delay & reverb type fx, there's no compressors etc) - ADAT i/o on the card for an additional simultaneous 8x8 i/o to go with the onboard 8x8 i/o in analog format - s/pdif. wordclock, smpte & mtc decicated ports on an additional breakout card too - all you need basicaly wether doing video, multimedia or multitracking traditional recording material.

all in all, a great big 10/10 ! - I want one! - video soon... I'll start editing tonight if possible.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/36             05-Nov-04  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Influx

Link?: Link

gene...since this is actually a creative release with the Emu name on it, support should be good

I believe you can chain two 1820Ms together, but Im not positive. Id check with Emu

and...as always...check with me if youre going to buy something. I can probably save you money!

Message 12/36             05-Nov-04  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

actualy i might go for one myself - i quite like the prospect of multiple adat outs/in's and dsp compressors if nothing else, but maily for the build quality although it's a shame it doesn't 19" rack 'as-is'

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/36             05-Nov-04  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Mindspawn

Thanks herr Influx, I may just do that.... K, I think they sell a rack mount kit for the critter, seems I saw that on Emu's site somewhere.

I've still got a little time to sort out what I'm gonna do... As i said before, I may end up going Mac, but if I don't I'm thinking the Emu might be a nice addition to a new rig.

Message 14/36             01-Dec-04  @  01:14 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

ok, Etcetera kindly sent another unit for review purposes, so we can finish off the 1820m review video PART-2... I'll need some time to setup and get into the routing applet and how it all integrates, the FX etc.... anything you need to know ask away meanwhile

actualy, I was so impressed with the 1820m last time i had a few brief hours with it to do part-1 of the video, i might actualy keep it, pay for it and sell the Hoontech C-Port system... not that the C-Port is bad, it's superb value bearing in mind the 1820m cost quite a bit more than a C-Port system

anyways whatever

Message 15/36             02-Dec-04  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

I've got the dock hooked up and running now, very simple and sounding good. there's a driver update out there too. Allows you to address the DSP part directly from your host software instead of having to create ewire channels in patchmix. one thing I'd want is to address dock #4 outputs like the others instead of having them reserved for "monitor."

Message 16/36             02-Dec-04  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

havent looked into it yet, but am looking forward to it very much. i wish i'd asked for the emulator-x to review - well, i'll try and get it after doing the applet & routing review video

Message 17/36             25-Feb-05  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

anyone using this and utilising the new POWER FX?

Message 18/36             25-Feb-05  @  03:05 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

powerfx, yeah some. I've had to do 2 setups with patchmix -- one for max I/O for tracking and one with minimal I/O for mixing which frees up the DSP for the efffects. I've also done a spdif send/return thing for my tcelectronics box so I'm not using much cpu taxing native time-based effects.

Message 19/36             25-Feb-05  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

but have you tried the POWERFX?... I ask cos i'm just getting time now to try it and it fails miserably in both SX2 and LOGIC 5, logic it simpoly just falls apart as soon as you add the power fx on an insert or send bus (norman cook style stretchy noise) and in SX although slightly better in that you can at least add the thing without the programme retching audibly, it simply cuts out all the time or distorts randomly, saometimes you'll add an effect and it works, then it just stops, or it never initialises in the first place, or it doesnt initialise then suddenly comes on randomly mebbe 3,5, or whatever seconds later, but only to continualy randomly drop in out all the time

it's hopeless as far as i can see. - The sound also distorts after a while playing games, gradualy the sound breaks up until it sounds like a distortion effect is added.

worst of all tech support (cough) is an INTERNATIONAL call number!!!! (but the tech support guy just denied they'd ever had a complaint about it, and didnt see why they needed to test it with SX or Logic when i reffered to the fact the manual dealt soley with a cubase version that is at least 2 years out of date & to all intents and purposes discontinued

thing is, i'm loath to try it in another machine cos if it scrws that one up after un-installing i have work to do, so far on the est machine it's failing miserably for everything EXCEPT acting as a straigh quality i/o card/rack... in that sense it works well with SX & LOGIC as a straight in/out device. The distortion only seems to happen with games.

Message 20/36             25-Feb-05  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

OH dear it gets worse

after a failure to really work properly in machine A (problems as above) I transferred it to test machine B

oh dear... first machine boots ok after install, logic opens, put on an effect using POWER FX, timing all goes to shit, and no it's not because of needing to use the supplied plugin delay compensator

then machine went quiet

rebooted to a blank desktop. no desktop at all, hard reboot required

reboot set patchmix to BLANK 44.1 default & open logic, no sound, logic then issues citicial error report....eeee

reboot again lets see what's next, but this is totaly unacceptable

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot