aaa The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 30-Apr-10  @  03:04 AM   -   The numbskull electronic tinkerer show ! x0xb0x

nutoniom

Link?:  Link
File?:  [image]

[image file]

Welcome...

(no really, i always wanted to say that in a low slightly distorted voice...sigh...)

to The numbskull electronic tinkerer show

Here, I will attempt before your very eyes to put together a monophonic, computer controlled synthesizer: a clone of the Roland TB-303.

Now that everyone and his brother has gone through this build, I feel confident enough that every one and his brother has run in every conceivable problem there is, so I plunge !

Actually it's more complicated than that. i wanted to build one for a long time, but waiting list for kits were almost a decade long (ok, slight overemphasis here, but still...)

Fortunately, ada fruit industries , the people responsible for the birth of thid magnificent clone, have found a deserving heir in the body of

Willzyx who is now supplying express kit through his shop, and soon complete kits. Hurray!!! (note that as i write this , he is out of kits, but he should have some in the coming weeks.)

Now, the x0xb0x being an open source project , anyone can build one for themselve following the provided instructions on the ada fruit site: everything is given out, code, pcb design files, cnc files, everything. But unless your proficient with all this stuff, your best bet is to go with a kit so you don't have to source every component for yourself, which can be daunting, believe me.

so, here I will be documenting my build of a x0xb0x, both for your enjoyment and mine, of course.

see you on the bench : )

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/66             05-May-10  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

Link?: Link

[image file]

Be there AND be square !!!

Message 12/66             05-May-10  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

File?:  No file

Message 13/66             06-May-10  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

The look of Acid: completed VCF, showing some resonance content on the o'scope

My baby's first likkle acid babble

Message 14/66             07-May-10  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

damballah

numbskull's got a scope! looks like some mouser bags in that one pic.

xoxos?

Message 15/66             07-May-10  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

little d !

Eh! ''some mouser bags'' ?

I could reorientate as a drug dealer and make a profit just from the savings from the bags !

glad you stopped by.

Ok, as of now, the analog section is completed and it's doing it's TB thing nicely (no slides yet tho, I'm controlling it with a doepfer MC4 midi to cv box, works lovely. I'll post a clip ans some pics tomorrow as I am tired now: the envelope and vca gave me a little bit of trouble.

tata for now

Message 16/66             08-May-10  @  07:52 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

Okie, no one said it was going to be all a bed of roses, or whatever. So, I have a problem with the unit, basically, it feels like the decay knob is bypassed and the accent knob acts as accent and decay, weird !

My pseudo diagnostic (read ''wishfull thinking'') is that the envelope and VCA ircuit aren't receiving the apropriate Control Voltages from the micro computer. there is a good reason for that. I haven't build the Computer Controled portion of the circuit. Instead , i'm driving it ''older school'' through cv/gate clipped on the board with test leads clipped to the pcb , fed from my Doepfer MCV4 which is running Seq-303.

So, i really hope I'm looking to deep into it : )

Otherwise, I'm at lost : (

here's a longish , boring recording of me going through the controls:

Analog section test

Message 17/66             08-May-10  @  08:20 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

state of affairs, Friday 3:03 AM

Message 18/66             10-May-10  @  05:02 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

It werks, it werks !!!

clips to come, I'm tired now.

It turns out that everything was fine, but it needed the uC in place to be able to function properly. I guess it was never design to run as a stand alone synth module driven by cv gate

Message 19/66             11-May-10  @  01:59 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

This baby is rockin' and it's rockin' pretty hard !!

Expect shitloads of x0xb0x infected tracks to come : )

Message 20/66             14-May-10  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

Maarten

Hey JF, nice work(shop). Now close the box and crank out some madness eh! Hope you're well.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot