aaa ABLETON LIVE - What do you think? - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 26-Sep-02  @  08:24 PM   -   ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

bunky

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I've been playing with it for a while and I think it's really solid. Anybody tried gigging with it, or doing ad-lib jam stuff? The more I play with it, the more I realise that a whole set could easily be run off a laptop.

Cool.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/31             30-Oct-02  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

espoo2

1) Ableton does midi, as far as being controllable by it, so you can use a keyboard/knobs to do all your tweaking (my style)

2) Actually, I saw a guy rip shit up hardcore style on a laptop and ableton... Eight Frozen Modules, from Austin, relocated to LA... hard, dirty Squarepusher shit...amazing.... you just gotta have some energy.

Message 22/31             30-Oct-02  @  07:06 AM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

k

it does rewire too - actualy they are doing a deal on it (m-audio.co.uk) they are flogging deals on ableton + reason + a choice of either of their controller keyboards in two different rpiced packages (determined by choice of keyboard)

Message 23/31             30-Oct-02  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

jp

does ableton do midi out so that i can use my synths and sampler?

Message 24/31             30-Oct-02  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

milan

Link?: Link

nope.

Message 25/31             30-Oct-02  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

espoo2

can you sculpt with a paint brush?

Message 26/31             30-Oct-02  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

jp

yes, you can sculpt with a paint brush.

sure, it's better to make your setup work rather than complain what it can't do...BUT it's also good to have an idea of what you want to do and then find a way to do it.

for example, i want to run my hardware live instead of just using softsynths and such. i want to use my midi gear 'cause i think it sounds better.

there is always a point where you have to accept the limitations of your setup. i'm using an mmt8 for god sakes...it's arciac and extreemly limited...but it does run my midi gear and that's what i want.

i also do find twiddling a laptop to be a bit boring to watch. if i could use my midi gear and do it effectivly though, i think i would seriosly consider using a laptop. that would add a demention to the performance that i think is lacking from just laptop with fader performers.

don't get me wrong, i'm not opposed to new technology. i've got a g4 and all that in the studio...but for the live performance...i just have a different idea in mind.

Message 27/31             30-Oct-02  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

espoo2

Thats fine.
I use it with external gear controlling it, along with live guitar, a vocalist, outboard fx, and a couple of hardware synths.

*shrug*

Not for everyone. You aren't going to find a midi sequencer, in a mac or a pc at least, thats as stable though... at least at this point in time.

Message 28/31             13-Nov-02  @  03:18 AM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

ctmc

Ableton Live is f-ing nice; Someone kept talking about doing a live set with just a dissorted palette or loops - definitely doable. The native plugins actually sound decent and are light on the CPU. When I throw Reason or Nuendo loops at it, they always lock. I can't wait to take it live.

The sound through its algorithims is something like MP3 quality, though. Big drawback. On an average (loud and lo-fi) club system you probably wouldn't know; hi-fi purists would be sick.

I wanna Live battle someone!

Message 29/31             13-Nov-02  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

well, it seems that they will address the sound
quality of the time stretching in version 2 due out
in december. can't wait. i have a big gig on new
years eve that i'm going to use live for and
hopefully i'll have the new version down by then.

Message 30/31             12-Dec-02  @  11:47 PM   -   RE: ABLETON LIVE - What do you think?

k

Link?:  Link

I wanted a proper demo at the recent trade show, but they demonstrator didnt seem to know the product and I gave up waiting for him to get it together. Shame.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot