aaa E-Mu 1812m - wow! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 08-Sep-04  @  06:20 PM   -   E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

tried one today.... video will be up soon.... VERY VERY impressed. Super build quality, loverly mic pre's, bloody brilliant, albeit not a cheap item.... I video'd a short review for those who want to see a bit more than a single promo picture online - wait till you see the thing!!!... beautiful build quality!.... routing is comprehensive using the applet, built-in dsp fx which can be assigned within the s/w host sequencer (however, they are mostly additive delay & reverb type fx, there's no compressors etc) - ADAT i/o on the card for an additional simultaneous 8x8 i/o to go with the onboard 8x8 i/o in analog format - s/pdif. wordclock, smpte & mtc decicated ports on an additional breakout card too - all you need basicaly wether doing video, multimedia or multitracking traditional recording material.

all in all, a great big 10/10 ! - I want one! - video soon... I'll start editing tonight if possible.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/36             25-Feb-05  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

hold up.... hmm.... after tons of reboots and re-try's it seems to be not crashing now, odd, perhaps it can only work with one or two of the patchmix setups

more testing to do i spose *sigh* - god i hate computers  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 22/36             26-Feb-05  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

Link?: Link

uh, luckily I've encountered nothing like that. used them as inserts in SX3. select powerfx, drag over a multieffects config, twiddle with the things and it plays fine. I tried using it in VST 5.1 as well and it worked OK until it was time to render a mixdown. it didn't like that none at all.

Message 23/36             26-Feb-05  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

hmm... well last night session ended with a big old lock up with the audio going buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz until the machine was switched off at the power switch (everything locked)

it ran ok until i decided to do some guitar practice and wanted to see what the included guitar presets were like

i dragged one to the INPUT strip on the patchmix and as soon as i dropped it all hell broke loose.... dunno what the problem is, but it's with logic. with SX it just doesnt work continualy, but it doesnt lock up

the issue perhaps is that Logic will not share driver with windows, but the e-mu doesnt show seperate drivers for each pair of outs like most other cards i've used (giga, m-audio, staudio, terretec etc), so you cant assign a 'named' pair of outs to windows audio and NOT use that pair in logic, perhaps the fact that windows audio is set to emu audio and so is the logic sequencer... mebbe that's it

more tests today i spose....

Message 24/36             26-Feb-05  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

btw, all this only started when the drivers were updated and the patchmix was updated to 1.60, before that it never crashed or had these issues (but also didnt have powerfx either)

Message 25/36             26-Feb-05  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

well it seems the e-mu is pretty fussy where the old logic 5 is concerned, you gotta have just the right patchmix setup or it'll fold it seems... seem to be getting somewhere with it, but trouble is, you think "ah, this seems ok now with this patchmix setup/config"... and then it crashes again after a while... lets see how this one goes, no crashes so far

there must be a way to get it right cos while there is reports of problems on the www, there is also many reports of it being ok... on we go *sigh*

Message 26/36             03-Mar-05  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

well, just leaving these comments as a sort of diary.

seems logic is fairly stable (v5.5) depending HOW you setup the patchstrips in the patchmix s/w application - there is some weird things happening tho with the powerfx

today I booted a test song which had one PowerFX compressor added as an insert to a Battery VSTi and some 'E-Delay Compensator' plugins added to other tracks to keep them in sync.

When the song opened, the PowerFX Compressor had changed to be a Plugin 'E-Delay Compensator'.

that sometimes happens. You choose 'POWERFX' from the e-mu plugin listings and what actualy opens is the 'E-Delay Compensator'

??

That's odd, but Creative did say they never tested it on Logic at all. Otherwise it runs ok as a quality i/o device it's very clean and quiet, nice crisp clean dynamic sound, and the headphone socket is superb, great sound with tons of headroom to go as loud as you like.

more to come.... they wanted the review unit back today so i paid for it so i can keep it and continue testing.

Message 27/36             03-Mar-05  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

Dear Dairy.... SX2 and it's definately better. I also checked out some 'reviews' on the web from various 'named mags' and not one of them even mentioned the POWERFX... hmmmm, mebbe they were old reviews, but even if they weren't not one either mentioned the E-WIRE ability to add fx (previous older system) from inside sequencer. It's hard to say therefore wether these mags just didnt try it, or wanted to keep their advertiser shweet!

anyways, SX2 works alot better - you can apply FX, and on this machine SX sems to be behaving itself ok, no crashes or lockups etc

you can add POWERFX as inserts or as a SEND effect such as a reverb inserted into an effects channel - These fx can be rendered to a new file which worls great, but... it cant seem to fo it 'offline', if you go to render without the REAL-TIME EXPORT checkbox ticked you get an error message refferring you to check export/render settings

however, put it into REAL-TIME EXPORT mode and although it's slower to render, the resulting file has the effect encoded into it perfectly, just as heard in realtime mode!

excellent!- i messed with the reverb... not great, certainly not a 'top-quality' reverb, but a bloody GREAT reverb for classic old style dub, a really authentic plate-ish sound!

the compressors are a little harsh, but quite useable

anyways... oh yes.... the plugin-delay compensation that is supposed to be included in SX doesn't work in terms of compensating for added E-MU card-dsp-based fx... so for example, if you want to add a reverb as a send effect, you must apply an E-DELAY COMPENSATOR e-mu dsp plugin into the insert slot of everything otherwise the reverb return is out of sync with all tracks playing back and sounds like a delay

adding an insert E-MU DSP PowerFX effect to any track, & it's the same...... ALL other tracks playing must have a delay compensator added or they will be ahead of the channel utilising the DSP insert, and thus out of sync

however, the good news is you can create BUS's and route tracks to one or more bus's for a submix and add a SINGLE e-mu dsp plugin delay compensator THERE, so you dont then have to add one for every blasted individual track!

you cant win in this game can you.... the behringer BCF's work like a dream with Logic but have a few limitations in SX, with this it's the other way round - lol SX has the upper hand with this card's DSP abilities it seems so far

hope this is useful, more to come

Message 28/36             04-Mar-05  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

wired up the additional outs to a loom last night and setup a 4 stereo out mix in Logic, all works fine once you get the jist of the way the patchmix works. It's slightly confusing because the MONITOR out pair is also the main DOCK OUT 4L/4R (OUT's 7/8). Anyways, nice crisp clean sound, no problems with logic for this. It'd be nice to have an ADAT rack converter to try the other 8 outs/in's

Message 29/36             05-Mar-05  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

Link?: Link

I gots a fucusrite pre with adat out feeding the lightpipe input on the card and pretty much use that with the snake coming in from my iso room for tracking whatever acoustic shit I got going on with the breakout box handling what goes on in the control room. works fine.

Message 30/36             02-Apr-05  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

took the bugger into the studio today for a live session.... hmm... all wired up ok and worked well enuff, but, one odd thing

when you hit 'record' on Logic, it just paused, but for like 30 seconds or so, then it would start to record.... well odd! - like the LOGIC was thinking about it for a while before actualy starting to record... not sure why that happened, but if it cant be rectified without a driver update then as a multitrack with Logic something's amiss... it works, but you'd look a bit stupid in a session having to wait 30 seconds every time you hit record.... investigation to be done to see what it can be... otherwise everything was ok and the sound recorded was fine, nice and crisp!

anyone else tried recording 6-8 simultaneous tracks with the e-mu & had any probs with that 'pause' ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot