aaa The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 30-Apr-10  @  03:04 AM   -   The numbskull electronic tinkerer show ! x0xb0x

nutoniom

Link?:  Link
File?:  [image]

[image file]

Welcome...

(no really, i always wanted to say that in a low slightly distorted voice...sigh...)

to The numbskull electronic tinkerer show

Here, I will attempt before your very eyes to put together a monophonic, computer controlled synthesizer: a clone of the Roland TB-303.

Now that everyone and his brother has gone through this build, I feel confident enough that every one and his brother has run in every conceivable problem there is, so I plunge !

Actually it's more complicated than that. i wanted to build one for a long time, but waiting list for kits were almost a decade long (ok, slight overemphasis here, but still...)

Fortunately, ada fruit industries , the people responsible for the birth of thid magnificent clone, have found a deserving heir in the body of

Willzyx who is now supplying express kit through his shop, and soon complete kits. Hurray!!! (note that as i write this , he is out of kits, but he should have some in the coming weeks.)

Now, the x0xb0x being an open source project , anyone can build one for themselve following the provided instructions on the ada fruit site: everything is given out, code, pcb design files, cnc files, everything. But unless your proficient with all this stuff, your best bet is to go with a kit so you don't have to source every component for yourself, which can be daunting, believe me.

so, here I will be documenting my build of a x0xb0x, both for your enjoyment and mine, of course.

see you on the bench : )

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/66             14-May-10  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love that clamping device btw

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 22/66             16-May-10  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

fitting the leds

Maaaaaaarten!!! Hope you're well too and that you're still cranking it on your side too !

K, that's a Panavise, it makes things much easier, I mean MUCH easier.

Message 23/66             16-May-10  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

the innards completed

Message 24/66             16-May-10  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

Acid inside

Message 25/66             16-May-10  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

I call it Blacky

Demo to follow pretty soon...

Message 26/66             17-May-10  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

My x0xb0x demo

ok, nothing fancy, just going through the controls on a simple line.

Do you think it sounds like a 303 ? Let me know if you have one or have used one (Maarten, I'm counting on your feedback for this one)

All in all, it was a fun build, pretty easy actually as most everything is board mount which makes for minimal wiring, and frankly, a factory made , with solder mask and parts overlay pcb is pretty hard to goof up.

Please, let me know what you think.

thanks,
jf

ps: next baby I have in sight is the MFOS Ultimate: Here

Message 27/66             18-May-10  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

Maarten

This comes really close, not exact to my ear though- accent and sequencer seems to respond slightly differently. Could you make another clip and keep envelope low, cut-off west of noon and accent high, would like to hear how it sounds then. (I recognize those barks best see)   Sounds great though- doesn't need to be a like-for-like to sound cool and get yer acid-freak on!

Ew, MFOS equals drool- fuck yeah!

Started building a eurorack system myself a year ago, unfortunately I'm not handy with the soldering iron and wiring so I revert to throwing bags of cash at it and eat dry bread. Anyway, good job on the build- sounding like you're sure to have lots of fun with it.

Message 28/66             19-May-10  @  02:24 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

File?:  File

test2.mp3

Maarten, here's a small clip with the settings you mention.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be exact, I feel it's already a LOT closer than my MAM MB-33 mkII (which actually sounds more like a SH trying to sound like a TB )

The x0x has some of those nasally, phoneme like sounds I was looking for, it really talks imo.

The MFOS Ultimate is just plain sick, a real monster in this small package, here is what mine will look like

Message 29/66             19-May-10  @  02:28 AM     Edit: 16-Sep-10  |  04:04 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

The case was made by my friend, who since rehoused his ultimate in another case along the expander

this:

Message 30/66             19-May-10  @  02:30 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

I think he did an awesome job with it, love the white.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot