aaa bask in this my minions! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: bask in this my minions!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 25-Jan-04  @  04:17 PM   -   bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Link?:  Link
File?:  File

80_detuned_saws.mp3
To my amazement, many of you haven't heard what a REAL supersaw is!

So I took some time out of my schedule and did a little JP-8080 demo for fun.

It's PURE JP- no extras. I didn't even use the onboard chorus- no extra effects- I did use the onboard delay. No reverb etc etc

I used the onboard treble control to bump it up a bit..

So here it is EIGHTY detuned saws..singing for you. Yep, 8-0- .... enjoy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/65             31-Jan-04  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hah! Ape that last little spat you just had seemed like it was in response to something. Funny...were you responding to...whom?

I don't feel like making some huge intelligent, well punctuated insulting response so I'm gonna come right out with it.

You are an idiot. I don't like stupid people. I can prove why you're wrong any day of the week, but I'm just not up to it. What makes you stupid is that your argument is based on mis-guided judgement that you felt it was your duty to be the judge.

I'm not going to be some fucking looser ass geek who's trying to battle my synths against yours like its pokemon or something. I'll leave that to you as you seem so good at it. But what I will defend is trance. I'd like you to pipe down and shut up about it. Now I am not insulting by any means your specific music at all. I am just saying (since you tactfully chose about 90% of the genres on your DT page) that I listened to a few of your tunes to get a sense of what you consider to be intelligent music. I could define your genre as...hmm....breaks with no harmonial value at all. Actually, boring synth patches that sound like something my virus randomly generates played at random notes---based off of only one, non-changing base note.

I can't wait till trance evolves to that. Then what are you going to have? I guess your music will be cheese. Then you will resort to sticking a mic up your ass and farting, putting the sample to a few trash trucks rolling down an illpaved cobble stone street. Hey- it doesn't sound at all like trance! We don't care if it doesn't have any harmony, as long as it has something you've NEVER heard before (even if it sounds like shit) then it's cool-----and makes me a rebel. That means that our music is intelligent now---and I can brag about being such an individual--just like EVERYONE ELSE WHO LISTENS TO THE SAME KIND OF MUSIC AND MAKES THE EXACT SAME THING! Such a badass rebel you are, you individual, you.

Be careful there, you're trying so hard to be different that you're slamming youself into another piss poor genre of people.

Message 32/65             31-Jan-04  @  05:59 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

But! I will argue with E  

I have both units--the SH and JP.

First lets start with the JP- yeah! Guess what its 2 nicknames are? "Piece of Shit" and..............."blue baby." As far as features, it gets whomped by many synths. As far as fatness (and im not talking supersaw, the other waveforms are crazy) its a huge ass synth. It's got so many little things that are just great like the treble and bass controls- they add such different characteristic than your normal eqs. I used to hate the filters, but they're so wispy and add a gorgeous emphasis to yer sound.

But the few features it has--are really good (and they all revolve around OSC 1)

It's got first off supersaw. Sounds like 2 synced saw waves when both osc controls (detune and supersaw mix) are at 0. Then it gets fatter etc when ya move it. No synth does this sound. Period. I don't care what synth you have- it does not emulate this sound. And to say something more- they've even made software emulators of it! That's how much this synth is going in the "hall of fame" or whatever...

Next is triangle mod which sounds sweet- its nice, gritty and really tweakable.

Next- the noise osc's which are great. Love em- with seperate keytracking filters and resonance on each osc

Next- Feedback osc--something I think alot of dters would like cause its a hardcore sounding thingie that basically takes a saw wave and sends it back through itself- with you being able to control the harmonics and feedback amount.

Then you have the basic Pulse with PWM etc...syncable to LFo...Saw that you can control the contour of the saw and be able to sync it to LFO as well..then the triangle wave with contor conrols again, and syncable to LFO

osc 2 is basic oscs- pulse with PWM, saw, tri, noise and external input- no contour controls on any though.

Cross mod is fucking awesome too- that plus feedback oscs makes some screaming distorted things. really cool sounding. Plus you can control how the cross mod works with an LFO.

Not to mention it's got 44 controllers---unison function---advanced velocity assignments--and a really advanced arpeggiator that can record knob movements and you can loop em on playback which is cool.

I think it's awesome. Not as deep as a fucking Q or something, but still none the less awesome. One thing I don't like about it is: The bastard envelopes. They're very sensitive so it is neccesary to have like 2 attack and 4 release on em for no clicking. Still, clicking can be good for percussive sounds etc.

The SH 32 on the other hand is a different story. Not gonna go as in depth, but it's more of a fun synth. Sucks for modulation etc as the JP does- but its got sub oscs per osc that sound amazing. Huge, fat, retro synth tones taht will seriously fuck up some speakers. Filter steps when controlled by hand- not noticable unless you're using a considerable amount of res on a 24 db filter and on something with long release or sustain...like pad type sounds. Otherwise it doesnt step if you have a filter sweep in your sequencer or something. For 199, its a great 4 parts to add if you need/want em. Its fun and easy as bunk to use.

What can i say, if they could have made a better synth, oh well. I'm happy as fuck with my JP-8080.

Message 33/65             31-Jan-04  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

k

Link?:  Link

ah.... It's nice to see people are passionate about their hobby *cough*

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 34/65             31-Jan-04  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

cydonia cell

Link?:  No link

LOL at K

Hey BS... I said I think it's a good modeller. the 8080 has a good sound... I'm saying the took a good modeller and gave it a half assed everything else, sorry man, but I just don't like those filters, they're not modelling shit... sound just like the filters on my old XP, whisch is fine, they're not bad filters, but they're not good filters either. shrug

And, I'm not dissin' man... not yuou anyway, my bag was on Roland. Hell I have a friggin' darkstar, and while it's nice for a few tricks, I could write a handbook on all of it's lame assed implementation, and poorly put together features... hehehe

p

Message 35/65             31-Jan-04  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

BS, I doubt you went to my tracks page and listened to my tracks, cuz a few of them a have PLENTY of harmonic content. Some of the others are meant strictly as DJ tools, and studies on certain themes.

Tell ya what.

http://www.deepnow.net/paperstreet/tracks/ape/pongoid-IsFunky.mp3

http://www.deepnow.net/paperstreet/tracks/ape/pongoid-Oryx.mp3

Don't even try to tell me you've got something better to say.

You certainly didn't listen to any of the live stuff, and as for the random patch reference, they probably seem like that to you because you haven't gone far enough into synthesis to program sounds like that on your own, which is fine, but at least you could focus your efforts in writing something with more dynamic excitement than trance lines.

http://www.deepnow.net/paperstreet/tracks/ape/brainDamage-liveatthestud.mp3

There ya go. All live, no edits, just a tiny bit of compression and EQ. Now go get yer fuckin shinebox. Unless you've got something to make me shut my mouth, like a track or better yet, a whole live set with sounds and ideas that are going to drop my jaw, don't tell me shit about my sounds, or how I use them, cuz what you've shown me so far has nothing on them, any of them.

It's nice to see you taking the time to illustrate your passion for a synth that I still find boring. Super Saw? Give me a fuckin break, dude. You make it sound like it's some sort of breakthrough that I couldn't draw as a waveform for any of several synths or samplers with any number of editors and load in, let alone stuff I could sample out of some friends' Serge panels. I said you could come up with better, because I had faith in you to be able to do that. I see that was misplaced, and you're not there yet. Ok, keep practicing, dude. Study hard, and I hope you grow beyond your narrow scope. It's good to see people excited about sounds, and this place needs that, however you still have quite a bit of exploration to do in timbre as well as rythm, obviously. Good luck, I mean it, you need it.

Ape

Message 36/65             31-Jan-04  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

stuff

Link?:  No link

frikkin DOPE tracks Ape

Message 37/65             31-Jan-04  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Ape, you took it the wrong way. I listened to a few of your tracks to get a sense of what you look for in music to deem it "intelligent"---

i was not talking about your music specifcally, like i said. It unfortunate that you took it that way becuase my rant was about you insulting trance- it was never about insulting the music you make.

You have to realise, thats what "funk breaks" or whatever sounds like to me. No harmonic content, bland and not fun. Maybe i will reach the awakening you people talk about and suddenly think trance is cheese, but i dont think that's gonna happen. its in my personality- epic trance...hey thats odd, i love epic movies and games too! It's my style.

I don't like funky things. I can appreciate them, but I won't like them. I don't like breaky things- again appreciation, but dont like.

That's all I'm asking for, is a bit of appreciation for trance. You may not like it, but I do. I have my reasons for liking it, you have yours for disliking. Same thing vice versa with breaks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The initial reason for my post with the 80 saws was not to show off any sort of patch. That patch i used was actually really basic- the only thing I was showing off was the fact that it was 80 saws. Not that it sounded good- as i've never used unison in my tracks anyways.

Message 38/65             01-Feb-04  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

psylichon

Why don't we save some time here... both of you just post pictures of your penises and call it a day.

Bragging about one's music.... comparing one's music to anything... trying to quantify value in any form of music. Waste of time, both of yas...

Message 39/65             01-Feb-04  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

lol. well said psy...

some cool jazzy noodlings in those tracks Ape!

Message 40/65             02-Feb-04  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

*bows. Glad folks dug the stuff. I need to work on more of that, but it's really draining to do so.

Arpeggiations in and of themselves are not bad things, and can be used to good effect. Like everything else, it's all in context.

BS, perhaps I took your post the wrong way because you opened it up with a thread title "Bask in this my minions". If you can't dig the funk...well that's kind of a shame, and I honestly do feel sorry for you. Trance is just way too fuckin square for my tastes. If it makes you happy, then you certainly have every right to pursue it. I guess it's like raw oysters or fat chicks in bed; not my thing, but some people love them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 65 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)