aaa so who plays proper instruments? - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: so who plays proper instruments?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 31-Mar-02  @  02:32 PM   -   so who plays proper instruments?

bedwyr

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

hehe! "proper"

anyway, i've played sax in various bands for the last ten years, how about you lot then?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 81/87             17-Dec-05  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: so who plays proper instruments?

k

in fact, just to ramble on further about 'sax'... another family story.. when my other Uncle was killed, he was also a big jazz fan, and at the funeral when the service was over and the coffin does that final 'sliding off stage-right' bit, the music we chose as appropriate for him was some really abstract Sonny Rollins piece... so the old coffin is sliding offstage, it's all sombre, and there's this totaly mental abstract Rollins stuff blasting out of the church speakers, lol... you should have seen the vicars face man, lol.. he looked a bit puzzled to say the least  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 82/87             17-Dec-05  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: so who plays proper instruments?

k

taj clip

thats a clip from amazon from the same album, more tuba/fluglehorn section in action

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 83/87             17-Dec-05  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: so who plays proper instruments?

saxraxus

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Here is how to position mics for seated players. Move them a little farther down for big band micing so that when the saxophonist stands for solos he can position the bell of his sax 6"-12" from the mic.

Note the colored windscreens, colored tape bands on the mics, and the connectors. It is east to see the color, follow that back to the mixer. At the time I purchases all these cables I could only get black (and later a red cable). Now cables in colors are easy to get. I like colored cables for not only visual ID of what goes where, but it keeps them from being tripping hazard on dark stages. It is bad enough for a mic to fall, but a musician with a $5000 instrument falling on other instruments... well, the gig is over right there.

For trumpet and trombone, don't use a boom. With their music stand between the brass player and the mic, it gets a little more needed distance.

In this picture, on the far right, you can see my straight and curved sopranos, which are often featured in the above mentioned sight gag.

Message 84/87             18-Dec-05  @  02:33 AM   -   RE: so who plays proper instruments?

psylichon

what mics?

Message 85/87             18-Dec-05  @  03:31 AM   -   RE: so who plays proper instruments?

saxraxus

Shure 58s's.

Message 86/87             15-Apr-07  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: so who plays proper instruments?

dhuf590455

Link?:  No link

I have played Drums for over 40 years! & loved every minute of it! The most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Dave H.

Message 87/87             15-Apr-07  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: so who plays proper instruments?

k

yes,....and all that free parking in disabled zones!

know any bassists free btw in London?

so um, are you gonna add some audio to the site of you playing then?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 87 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot