aaa Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             17-Nov-99  @  11:44 AM   -   Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

JFX

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello,

coud someone suggest a good book on Substactive Synthesis?

I have a JX-3P with wich I experiment a lot(for about 2 months now, my first synth).

I'm trying to get some deep sounding bass, but haven't really succeded for now.

It's easy to get great strings with it, but I have problems for bass.

Any suggestions or leads would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jean-François

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             17-Nov-99  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

fresh

Uh, Substactive Synthesis? I hope you mean subtractive cuz I ain't heard of the latter. If that's all your into I got a few of em. Keep your eyes out for "Learning Music With Synthesizers" David Friend, Alan R. Pearlman, Thomas D. Piggott. It's an antique but it's super informative about classic analog. You could also try "The New Complete Synthesizer" or "The Synthesizer & Electronic Keyboard Handbook". They are all as old as the sythesizers themselves but there is not as much new material about it these days. Check some used book stores maybe.

Message 3/10             17-Nov-99  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

fresh again

Oh, "Synthesizer Basics" by Moog, Powell, Rhea, Pocaro is a great old one.

Message 4/10             17-Nov-99  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

JFX

Thanks a lot Fresh.
Yeah, my spelling is a bit loose.

Message 5/10             20-Nov-99  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

k

i got the MKS and it aint a great bass machine really, id choose other-s first given a choice of synths - i tend to get the best basses out of it's square waves... really you need the PG200 programmer unit - get that and it'll be easy - but with the cursors method, it's a bloody nightmare - BUT - unfortunately, the JP wont respond to the programmer when playing via midi, (only from it's keyboard local), whilst the rack MKS version WILL... so um.. maybe look at trading it if you want to do realtime controller moves as it's being triggered via external device - sorry to break that news to you -

Message 6/10             20-Nov-99  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

Ison

I think Jean has discovered a whole new form of musical expression with Substarctive House.

Message 7/10             23-Nov-99  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

JFX

K,

yeah that midi vs knob control is much of a drawback. You can only control one param with the rate slider while midi trig. But i will still get a pg-200 since I only paid 75 US$ for the unit, it's just a matter of patience.

Guess I'll just do my classes on it 'till I can afford a more versatile piece of gear. The Nova seems to be what I need from what I've read and heard.

I use a P200/128MG with SBPCI512.
An ok setup for a newbie, but I want to get out of the computer since I'm not very excited by the thing, been working with them for years. I will still use it for sequencing, but have no interest in upgrading it.

And on a sheer playfullness level, twisting knobs is a lot sexier than driving a mouse  

Keep up the good work, DT is the most usefull site I've ever ran across. Those old threads are filled with knowledge.

Fresh: Found this one in NY:

Friend, David / Alan R Pearlman / Thomas D Piggott.
Learning Music With Synthesizers.
ARP Instruments, 1974.

thanks for the tip

Ison: maybe I should rename as Dylsexia  

Message 8/10             24-Nov-09  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

nutoniom

Link?: Link

Oh my first post at DT, ain't it cute: incapable of spelling "subtractive"

10 freakin' years

egad!

Message 9/10             25-Nov-09  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

k

lol is that you? jfx? wow man! props!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/10             26-Nov-09  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: Substarctive Synthesis book suggestion ?

nutoniom

Naaah, props to you K !

See, there is a blatant lie in that first post of mine: I actually had the JX-3P since 1994 along a
copy of
then Cakewalk. I could never figure the thing out and kind of set it aside after a few weeks, just
noodling around with the presets now and then.

A few years later, 1998, I was at a friends house and he showed me this little program called
Rebirth.

Doing some searches on TB-303 and TR-808 led me here, and there you go, I bought a
smapler

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot