aaa Trance & Hardhouse claps ?? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/39             30-Jan-02  @  12:28 AM   -   Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Andy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi, Does anybody know were I can get claps you here in Trance and Hardhouse tracks? I don't mean the standard 909 clap , but long snappy one's I here. Is it a special drum machine that they use? If so which one? I have a couple of sample cd's, but not 1 decent clap on it. Can anyone help?
Andy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/39             30-Jan-02  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

k

Link?:  Link

Andy mate - can you add a short snippet of audio example in mp3 format?... If you signup and return to the forum logged-in you can add an audio file to your post that'd help.... the forum will take a 500k file (ignore what it says about 100k max filesize)

sustained (long) claps tend to be the result of compression with long decay times tho - perhaps it's that ?.. also layering claps with detuned rimshots add's more 'snap' to the sound.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/39             01-Feb-02  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

Link?: Link

File?:  File

145_X5_17I.mp3

Hi K,

Here's a short drumloop I found with the kind of claps I'm looking for. Please let me know if know how it's made. Thanks.
Andy

Message 4/39             01-Feb-02  @  12:43 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Maarten

Sounds exactly as K described... you should be able to achieve that with samples and editor, low/no attack, long decay and compress- no necessity for a drummachine me thinks.

-M-

Message 5/39             01-Feb-02  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

milan

to me it sounds like a short clap with lot of bright reverb on it, and THEN compressed, to get the decay to stay that loud. there´s also someting else, maybe a rim or snare mixed in at the begining for punch.

Message 6/39             02-Feb-02  @  12:51 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I’m probably doing it all wrong, but I wasn’t able to get the desired effect. I tried using a couple of standard claps and I put them through a waves compressor with the settings you mentioned. The claps did get tighter and have more sustain, but they just couldn’t quite cut it with the example I posted. This leaves me to believe that a) the waves plugin is not good enough or b) the source material isn’t all that. Which one is it ?? I’m in desperate need of good claps and I need to know all the option before I buy anything I might regret. Can any of you help? Thanks

Andy

Message 7/39             02-Feb-02  @  01:21 AM     Edit: 02-Feb-02  |  01:47 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

k

It probably is your source sample not being the same that's all... well, there is so many clap sources - TR707 claps, 808 claps, 'ClapTrap', 909 claps, Yammy RX claps, Linn claps etc etc... actualy that one does sound like it has a layered finger-snap sample or something behind it, but those older analog & early digital clap boxes like the Clap-Trap sound good too, more granular - try blending sounds with the claps, also pitching your clap samples in an editor or the sampler etc etc...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/39             02-Feb-02  @  01:24 AM     Edit: 02-Feb-02  |  01:46 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

k

thats a music-aid clap-trap... i added some clap-trap samples to the samples/files section - just do a search for 'simmons'

Message 9/39             03-Feb-02  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

Thanks for the advice K. Question: If I were to buy a machine, which should I get. I'm also looking for very hard kicks. Are there any new machines out with the right sounds. Just want to know which I should listen too. Thanks.
Andy

Message 10/39             03-Feb-02  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

influx

why bother if you have a sampler or PC? you dont need a drumbox.

Message 11/39             03-Feb-02  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Maarten

Exactly, Dance MegaDrumsII sample CD... nice! + maybe a good h/w compressor, haven't done much with s/w compressors but the TC Triple*C is cheap as hell in NL at the moment, bought one recently and sure adds the bang etc to me samples.

Message 12/39             03-Feb-02  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

monkeyboy

if it's of any interest to anybody, there's a simmons clap trap on ebay (u.k)at the moment...last time i looked it was at around the £30 mark...dunno what they usually sell for?

Message 13/39             04-Feb-02  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

Are you saying that a compressor and a sample cd are all you need to get those hard hitting claps??
I'm really not that sure. I've tried several times using compression (don't have a hardware compressor, so I don't know about that) reverb, etc. but no luck. I haven't tried the samples K put up here, but I think you need to have some very good samples to start out with or it will just come out sounding like crap. Can any of you post an example of a before and after treatment ? and what stuff you used to do it. That would really help.
Andy

Message 14/39             04-Feb-02  @  05:37 PM     Edit: 04-Feb-02  |  05:39 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

milan

i´m posting no files, but it took me less than a minute to come up with the sound you´re looking for. its quite simple really. read and emulate:

clap with medium decay, a touch of dark reverb on it, about 0,7 seconds. then compressed to jesus- high ratio, very low treshold, zero attack and very short release. what happens is that you attenuate the attack of the clap, which is normaly loud, and let the decay pass thru louder than usual, tnx to fast release time. play with treshhold and release untill its perfect.

geddit? i could post you the example, but its SO much more fun if you do it yourself, dont you agree Guys?

cheers, M.

Message 15/39             05-Feb-02  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

Hi Milan, thanks for explaining it, but could you be more specific on what type of compressor you used and what kind of clap you worked with. It’s not that I don’t believe you, but I need to know all the details so that I can try it out myself. I only have a software compressor and some standard claps (mostly 909 stuff). Thanks for your help.
Andy

Message 16/39             05-Feb-02  @  12:44 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

d

milan's a notorious liar, you were right to call him out like that. the clap you're after can't be done.

Message 17/39             05-Feb-02  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

influx

funk, I think you just need to work a bit more. milans point was that handing it to you probably won't teach you much

perhaps you could find one of those claps youre talking about in a track context and just sample it? hmmmm

Message 18/39             05-Feb-02  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

milan

yes, but what sampler for claps? he needs more information than that.

actually... HEY ANDY, now that you know that only us TOP PROS are able to recreate that perfect handclap sound, within our MULTIMILLIONDOLLARRR STUDIOS, i have an ofer for you: sell all your music making gear and send the money to me. i will in turn create a whole sample CD FULL OF CLAPS for you, chromaticaly tuned if you like. we offer not only hardhouse, but also softhouse, boiledhouse, friedhouse and coffeehouse handclaps.

(ok ok, i know i flipped out... but doesnt it piss you off after a while? you all give friendly advice to someone and they are still like "oh, but i want the exact settings in uS and 0.1dB")

i mean c´mon...

Message 19/39             05-Feb-02  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Maarten

Even I understood your detailed advise M.cheers -M- :P

But seriously, I agree... forget my H/W compressor remark, I've never made use of a s/w one so what the fuck do I know? But if you followed the steps provided and tweek a bit here and there you would probably have found what you're after four posts ago (translated into hours : 100 hardhouse claps).

Message 20/39             06-Feb-02  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

C’mon guys. I’m not dissing anyone here. I just asked Milan friendly if he could give me all the details. That’s all. I haven’t had any time these past few days to experiment, but I’ll let you all know the results when I try it all out.
Greetz
Andy

Message 21/39             06-Feb-02  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

damballah

btw, it was an eventide for the 'verb and a manley variable mu for the dynamics, right? amazing how orgasm-inducingly perfect 6 grand worth of outboard gear can make a handclap sound. almost a shame to stick some other "music" around it.

Message 22/39             06-Feb-02  @  10:28 PM     Edit: 06-Feb-02  |  11:42 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

milan

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Actually, all it took was Neve VR dynamics, M5000 for reverb, and a team of dedicated asistants. thats actually my bedroom. and the window on the left leads to the kitchen :P

Message 23/39             07-Feb-02  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Maarten

Wow.. so all this time I just should have gotten a big-ass mixing desk and be done with gear-whorism! Is she picking her nose?

Message 24/39             07-Feb-02  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

damballah

Why? You wanna help her? Shouldn't you find a dyke to stick your finger in?

Cool f'ing bedroom, milan.

Message 25/39             07-Feb-02  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Steve Roughley

The best advice for you, Andy, would be to play about, go crazy with experimentation. This is the best way to get interesting sounds. If you play about with your sounds for long enough you will probably come up with something that you like more than the clap-hit that you are trying to recreate. One of my favorite past-times is to sit down, Load up Logic, Get NI Battery and the EXS24 on the go and start playing around with effects on drum grooves and basslines etc.

One of my favorite tricks at the moment is to set up a bus that has a delay set to 8ths or 16ths (sometimes both) and follow it with a distortion and a phase-shifter. Then make an aux send to the bus, from a Hihat track. It sounds fantastic!

When listening to produced tracks, we have no idea what techniques have been used to make the track (we can guess but can't know unless we speak to the producers). The techniques used may be extremely obscure! The best way to learn is to experiment!

Steve.

Message 26/39             07-Feb-02  @  04:25 PM     Edit: 07-Feb-02  |  04:26 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

Maarten

Woah! Didn't mean to be an ass just wondered why the cameraman didn't warn her that's all... btw, I'm envyous of that much space for toys, you should see my room- it's a disgrace.

-M-

Message 27/39             07-Feb-02  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

influx

milan! that is your ing ROOM!?!?!!?

what the hell? what kind of desk is that? jesus

is that you next to nose picker?

Message 28/39             08-Feb-02  @  02:00 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

Thanks for the advice Steve. I'm pretty busy at the moment. I wish I had more time to experiment, but when I do I'll surely look in to it.
Andy

Message 29/39             08-Feb-02  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

steve

influx .....errrr, what are you like?

Message 30/39             10-Feb-02  @  10:58 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

This weekend has been a great learning experience. I finally sat down to make the ultimate Hardhouse & Trance clap. Here are my results. Milan was correct with the settings he used on his compressor, but it is wrong to believe that any old clap will do. Maybe with his Million-Dollar gear, who knows? Most of the standard claps I had didn’t quite cut it (at least not the claps I’m looking for), but the big surprise were the clap-trap sample K posted here on the site. With these samples I came very close. They only needed a bit more attack and a little darker noise and then they would have been perfect. You don’t need a lot of attack because the compressor does the rest. Adding a touch of reverb (not too bright) makes it perfect. I want to thank everyone for helping me out (you to Milan ;-)
If I could only get my hands on more clap-trap samples :-)
Andy

Message 31/39             11-Feb-02  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

milan

haha...i cant believe anyone fell for the "thats my room" stunt, ESPECIALY not influx!
anyway, thats a Neve VR Legend on the pic, i´m the geezer on the left, and the nose picker is... well, just a nose picker :-þ

oh, and the guys in the back are the horn section of a funk band. i was just sitting in on their session, influx and maarten rest easy  

so... i´m glad i helped someone out, plus everyone had a bit of fun. just how DT should be. i picked up lots of tips here so it´s pnly fair to some back in. and now, for my thank you speech...

cheers, m ;)

Message 32/39             11-Feb-02  @  08:12 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

influx

"steve: 'influx, what are you like"

what the hell does that mean?

Milan..as for thinkin it might be yours? Well..I cant tell what make the mixer is, AND it really does look like a bedroom! so bleah!

Message 33/39             11-Feb-02  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

k

well, go to www.google.com and do a search for 'clap sample' - there's tons to download around the www

Message 34/39             11-Feb-02  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

steve

errrr ......its sort of the same as saying "where *did* they find you?"

Comprendez?

Message 35/39             11-Feb-02  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

damballah

here's a clever way to get a clap sample. stick a microphone in front of you, hit record/smaple, smack your hands together.

unless you're talking about some other sort of clap sample. you can get a sample of that clap by sticking yo wang in some stanky ho.

where did they find you?

Message 36/39             11-Feb-02  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

djfunk

Damb allah, that original. Why didn't I think up that one :-p

Message 37/39             24-Feb-02  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

k

test update add

Message 38/39             24-Feb-02  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

k

BEATS 1 0 0 0  |  2 0 0 0  |  3 0 0 0  |  4 0 0 0
kik 1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0
hat o 0 0 1 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 1 0
hat cl 1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0
clap 0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 1 0

test new forum code with added drum grid

Message 39/39             13-Apr-02  @  12:51 AM   -   RE: Trance & Hardhouse claps ??

hifi

There are two ways to get the trance hard dance clap sound

1. Overdrive your clap and then limit or compress it (that is turn up the amplitude on the sample until it distorts, then compress, filter and limit)

2. Throw the standard "clap reverb" on it. The basic settings are - short predelay (20-40 millisecs), decay around 0.8-1 sec (adjust for the temp of your track), low cut around 250hz, high cut and or damping around 7khz. Use about 25-40% reverb, the rest dry. Experiment with those basic settings to get the sound you're after.

3. combine 1 and 2

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot