aaa Kawai Q80EX - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Kawai Q80EX

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             22-Aug-02  @  01:17 PM   -   Kawai Q80EX

donda

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hi,
i have a question, i want to buy myself a kawai
q80ex for live gigs because i dont want to take
my computer on stage....
My question is: can i change patterns during a
live set? i mean, can i change patterns during
the kawai is playing, like i can do this on the
mmt8??
This is important for me, cause i want to
arrange songs live....
happy about all answers....
donda

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             22-Aug-02  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

knowa

Link?:  Link

yes and I know of one for sale gonoah@hotmail.com

Message 3/14             22-Aug-02  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

nomad

hmm? no, i don't think you can do much during playback.. at least when i had mine, most pages are inaccessible. you can't even change songs (there are 10 in memory at once) without stopping the sequencer.

what you DO have is 32 tracks available on 2 midi ports at any given time, all available for mute/unmuting - which that can be pretty powerful. it is a very good choice for song-style sequencing, pretty good choice for loop-based sequencing as well (i got a 6/4 pattern going against a 4/4 pattern once, it can do fancy things like that than many others can't do without 'tricks'.. i.e. the usual way to do that is to copy the 6/4 pattern twice so it's 3 bars of 4/4 = 2 bars of 6/4 and loop that, something like that.)

but only decent for live. it can work fine, but you can't change patterns on the fly. they're cheap enough to buy 2 though, and sync them both to something else; this will let you stop one and load a new song (or do anything else you want) while the other is still playing. it's probably still better than the mmt8 even with this limitation (DISK DRIVE! for one)... i'd still go with a pair of even original q80s over one or two mmt8s just for that   heard too many stories of an mmt8's memory giving up the ghost right before a gig... so you'll need a sysex filer to go with it  

i don't remember for sure, but iirc the MMT8's 8 tracks are polytimbral i.e. you can have notes from channels 1,2,3,4 all on the same track... the Q80's tracks are only notes, and the port/channel is global for the track, so only one channel's notes can be on a given track. you might need more tracks on the q80.

better yet... i don't know how the rm1x compares to the rs7000... but the rs7000 completely rocks as a midi sequencer... it's sorta like the best of both of those boxes... the rm1x only has one midi output (the rs7000 and q80ex both have 2)... but the rs7000 lets you change patterns on the fly like the mmt8... has a great step editor like the q80ex (ok it's even better than the q80ex)... has a grid editor (neither of those have that)... all kinds of fancy quantize options like the q80 (haven't used these yet but they're in the manual)... all kinds of stuff to do live... transpose any track live... save to smartmedia (BETTER than floppy if you ask me)... etc.

a rm1x costs about the same (or more) as 2 q80exs. i also thought the q80 was better at 'microscopic' event editing etc. than the rs7000... but i might just not be used to the rs7000 yet (haven't had it that long, and haven't been able to spend much time with it). the rm1x will only give you 1 midi out.
but the rs7000 can do some tricks the q80 just can't. if the rm1x is like the rs7000 (and i hear it is), then i think you might be a lot happier with the rm1x for live...

Message 4/14             22-Aug-02  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

donda

Link?:  No link

hi,
thanks for your answer!
the rm1x costs about the same like 3 Q80EX
here in germany... i īm not able to spend that
much.... Even with 2 q80 i just can change
between 2 paterns on the fly..... this is not
much... Its ok to have a break between the
songs. But i really want to change patterns on
the fly, that would be really important, cause i
want to work with a lot of patterns (in one
song).... is the mmt-8 the only old (cheap) one
who can do this? isnīt there anoter old one?
whats up with the roland mc80/50 and so on,
or the yamaha c xxx or the yamaha
QX5FD???? anybody knowing something?
greets
donda

Message 5/14             22-Aug-02  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

nomad

well if knowa knows the secret for how to do this with a q80 i would be forever grateful   cause i never got it to work.

don't think there's much else that can do this... except for an old asq10. that can do it, among other things... heard it's like the ultimate hardware sequencer... not cheap though.. more than an rm1x...

don't forget you have 32 tracks at once on the q80... so if you work with less than 32 tracks total per song, you might be able to get away with a q80... you 'change' patterns via mute/unmute.. have 3 patterns up as a choice, and only unmute the one you want. with 2, you can set up one song on one, and load up another song (since it's stopped, even off disk) while the other one is playing, then start it up and sorta 'crossfade' between them.

or you could set up one q80 with 32 tracks... like 8 bd patterns, 8 sd patterns, etc. up to 32, and the other one with different synth patterns etc... unmute only the one track you want out of a possible 8... when you want a different set, you fade to either only synth pads etc. or just drums, stop the other one, change song, restart and unmute stuff in again. i never took mine out live but i did think some about how to do it if i ever finished a song  

i think if you're creative you could find a way to make it work. if you're going to sequence on a computer and just send down the patterns though perhaps an mmt8 would be a better choice. i've heard it's not fun to sequence on though. if you're going to sequence on the unit itself, you might not need the EX version, and non-ex q80s should be a lot cheaper (main difference is the extended memory and second midi port, neither of which should be a problem when used that way); the main thing the EX had that would still be useful was SMF import/export which was nice.

hope this helps... and hope knowa knows the secret   that would rock... i liked my q80 otherwise...

Message 6/14             23-Aug-02  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

donda

hi nomad,
you are a great help, thanks!:-)
Is ist possible to do something like mute
groups? so perhaps i can mute with one
touch for example track 1 to 8? And with
anoother touch track 9-16??
And, if you mute one track, is it still played till
the end and muted when the pattern plays
again or is it directly muted? (first one is better
for live...)
greetings
donda

Message 7/14             23-Aug-02  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

xoxos

8 buttons. 1 bank button. ,ute 8 tracks at once? buttons are tiny. easy with glissando.

rolling down grassy hills

Message 8/14             23-Aug-02  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

nomad

no mute groups, sorry... this is old   and they mute/unmute immediately. not as much fun. and yeah, you get 32 tracks but they are separated into 4 banks of 8, with 8 mute buttons + bank selector. this wouldn't be as big a problem if the mutes worked at the end of the phrase instead of right away. i don't think the q80 could do that easily though... if you ran a bunch of different length patterns in different time sigs, it might be hard to know where all the patterns 'end', and they might all end at different times.. there's no 'section length' like on my rs7000...

Message 9/14             23-Aug-02  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

knowa

Link?:  Link

hey sorry I didn't mean to mislead you; I thought you could.

Message 10/14             23-Aug-02  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

donda

hei,
i found a articel with the subject mmt8 vs. q80
which says that the q80 CAN cahnge patterns
on the fly... (or i have misunderstood
something). here it is:
"

Live Play:

You can change from one pattern to another
instantly on the MMT8 while
it's playing but I think the tempo stays the
same. The Q80 can change
motifs this way (with assignable tempo). You
need to chain Songs together
on the q80 to get them to go from one to
another."

its not clear what he means with the last
sentences...

Heres the url:

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/A
lesis/MMT-8/info/alesis.mmt-8.vs.kawai.q80.txt

what do you thing?

Message 11/14             23-Aug-02  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

nomad

no prob. i was really hoping you'd figured it out... that's the only reason really i wanted a new sequencer  

anyways, i've seen that before but never saw that part before. i don't think it's what you are looking for... i played a little with song chain, basically it lets you go from one song to the next and get a new group of 32 tracks without stopping the sequencer. but it won't let you scroll through a list of patterns for track 1, while not changing anything else, or anything like that.

i thought the motifs were just like tracks too, but i could be wrong. basically, a motif is sort of like a macro... insert the same melody in 3 different places, then if you want to change it, just edit the motif and all the places where that pattern went change too. somewhat useful but won't help here.

now, i only completed 3 songs in the 2 years i had my q80, so maybe he knows better than me. but i can tell you, if it's possible, it's not easy.

i saw the mam sq16 mentioned though... maybe take a look at it? they should be cheap (esp. used) in germany... i never used one but they look interesting...

Message 12/14             23-Aug-02  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

donda

yeah, i got the mam sq16... its ok for drums,
for all other things... forget it. Its a hell to
programm a melodie. Thats why i wamted
another sequencer ;-)

Message 13/14             05-Aug-15  @  01:10 PM   -   Transmiting the data sounds 'bulk' to synthesizer

rivaldolima2004

I have an important question ... how to make the sequencer transmits the sounds I previously chose the synthesizer in multitrack mode? For when I turn off the keyboard and turn again , sequencer data not saved what sounds (programs ) I used before. Only sequences . Thing I do with my Roland MV- 30 , we transmit the bulk dump multi track for the first Rec step after pressing REC , and he gets all the numbers of the sounds that I used , so I press PLAY , it already automatically determines the sounds used for each song ... How can I do this in Q80ex?
Best regards from Brazil 

Message 14/14             01-Dec-15  @  06:18 AM     Edit: 03-Dec-15  |  03:28 AM   -   RE: Kawai Q80EX

joecasesam

Of course you can't,it's very harmful for your kawai!
www.casesam.co.uk
casesam.co.uk

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot