aaa midi guitar revisited - Guitars & amps forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Guitars & amps

Subject: midi guitar revisited

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             12-Feb-03  @  04:07 AM   -   midi guitar revisited

queasy00

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Hello.

I went through the threads:
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/forums/thread.cfm?chatter_id=1&threadid=27337&age=7&searching=1

and

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/forums/thread.cfm?chatter_id=1&threadid=9245&age=7&searching=1

It seems that the roland gi-10 with a g2ka pickup seems the cheapest option (still expensive!) with decent tracking.

But how good is it really? Has anyone here actually tried one? And all the bending of strings, etc. gets translated right?

It seems there are other options that might be cheap and good as well: yamaha g50 with g2ka pickup, or this d10 thing mentioned by hilevelt.

I also checked out that midi guitar page that someone posted... it was quite dated so i wondered if anyone else had any more info on it.

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             12-Feb-03  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

psylichon

Link?: Link

from my experience with them, they really depend most on the quality of the instrument and player they're attached to. The Roland stuff is the standard and works well, but you have to be a clean player with a clean guitar. Otherwise you're going to have miss-triggering.

Message 3/9             12-Feb-03  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

knowa

I never actually played one, but everything I've read suggests that it takes a while to get used to a midified set-up and many little guitarisms do not get translated so well. and cause sequencers to lock up.

I can't find it now but when I was looking around at midi guitars there was a company that made guitar-inspired midi controllers that were not actual guitars and didn't need to convert pitch to midi. they were less guitar-like but supposedly free from tracking glitches as they were just plain midi controllers and not guitars, they were also pricey.

Message 4/9             12-Feb-03  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

milan

i knew this guy who used an old casio midi guitar (midi out and all), and we got very good results. then again, he was a good player and practiced a lot playing that midi guitar... btw, you can have a lot of fun programming percussions that way!

Message 5/9             13-Feb-03  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

queasy00

hmm...
doesn't sound very promising ;(
yeah, i want to control a LOT thru the guitar (including the drums).... but latency would just suck, i dont' think i could get used to that.

casio guitar eh?... i guess i'll just have to take a look around.. there's this store in toronto somewhere called saved by technology...

thanks for responses guys.
-j

Message 6/9             13-Feb-03  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

IntoxicatingSounds

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Casio DG20, if you can find one you'll be lucky, but there's no pitch to midi conversion so no latency. It looks a bit like a toy so there's always a chance of picking one up really cheap...if you are really lucky.

Deano

Message 7/9             13-Feb-03  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

milan

that looks waaay cool!   much cooler than the one i saw. that one looked quite normal except for a few buttons and a lcd display.

Message 8/9             13-Feb-03  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

queasy00

holy shit that looks awesome!
but a bit like a toy like you said ;)

heh.
thanks! i'll definately look out for it.
-j

Message 9/9             11-Mar-03  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: midi guitar revisited

k

Link?:  No link

me that's a blast from the past! - they also made a wicked cheap midi drum kit which also faded away sadly. I wouldn't mid one of those old Casio midi kits for sure!

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot