aaa New to Nova/Midi - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New to Nova/Midi

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             07-Mar-03  @  09:46 PM   -   New to Nova/Midi

Mike

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I am a guitarist in a mod-rock band that has been picking up the duties of keyboard player for the last couple months. Recently, I bought a Nova workstation because I liked the sounds it can produce and the flexibility it seems to have. I use a MIDI Man USB controller and a Yamaha QY70 sequencer/sound module. I have some really basic questions that I can't seem to find any answers to in the Nova manual (which appears to be written for non-begginers - which is frustrating).

1: The Nova does not have a good piano sound on it. I'd like to use the sound from the QY70. How do I set up the Nova to accept the sounds from the QY70? Alternatively, is there a way to save the piano sound from the QY70 into the memory of the Nova? I have been able to use the sequencer on the QY70 with the Nova's sounds by using the "midi through" connections, but all the connections can be confusing for a beginner.

2. I'd love to route a click-track through headphones for my drummer for song parts that are arppegiatted from the Nova. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             18-Mar-03  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: New to Nova/Midi

Broken Silence

Link?: Link

someone else correct me if i'm wrong, but dont you just connect the out put of the piano thingie to the input of the nova? I don't think you can save sounds to it, but this way you should be able to run filters and effects through it...

i also may be wrong, but that's how i was moding my voice =)

Message 3/5             18-Mar-03  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: New to Nova/Midi

errata

Link?:  No link

you're right, but I think he wants to do something a little different.

You can't import the piano sound into the Nova... the Nova (all synths really) has a proprietary sound engine designed to emulate analog synthesis, which is why it has no pianos...

You can play the qy70 into the Nova and use the novas effects and filters to make it less like a piano. but to have the piano sound as you like it, you need to use a mixer and output the qy70 and the nova seperately.

you can trigger the piano using the nova's arpegiator by sending a sustained note from the qy70 to the nova and setting the nova to send Arp via MIDI Through and have it go back to the Qy70...

Hope that helps...

e

Message 4/5             18-Mar-03  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: New to Nova/Midi

errata

for the click track, you can program the yamaha to play back a drum hit (like a rim shot) on the 4ths of each measure and use the Yamaha to trigger the Nova's arp. That way the nova plays in time to the beat...

e

Message 5/5             26-Mar-03  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: New to Nova/Midi

Mike

Thanks guys.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)