aaa MIDI + Sequencers ???? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: MIDI + Sequencers ????

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             13-Mar-03  @  06:42 PM   -   MIDI + Sequencers ????

Lee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I currently have Korg X5 linked to my computer via an Edirol UM-2 Midi Interface (USB, as the gameport didn`t work !!). I`m new to this computer music and am trying to create dance/trance music in which I`m testing out demo versions of Cubasis Inwired + Orion Platinum to see what they are capable of. My aim is to use sounds which I have created on the Korg X5 and expand my sound library by using software instruments and sampling, however I have come across 2 problems !!

1.I don`t know how to record the sounds I`ve created on the Korg X5 to the sequencer. (I know MIDI doesn`t send sounds, just instructions but there must be a way, I think Sysex comes into play here).

2. When I try and use sounds on the computer, there is a huge delay between playing the notes on the Korg X5 and hearing the sound via my PC.

Oh, by the way, any suggestions to what software (sequencers e.t.c) is best suited for creating dance/trance music would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Lee

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             16-Mar-03  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: MIDI + Sequencers ????

brett

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

what you have just discovered is latency. If your synth audio out is going into the audio in on the sound card, and the sound you are monitoring(hearing) is coming from the computer audio out to the speakers or head phones, there is going to be a delay because the computer has to process it and then send it to the outs. Some cards have zero latency monitoring where they pass the audio directly to the outs, or "stereo bus" for monitoring.

you need to have a device that can split the audio from your keyboard, send audio to the amp and to the computer at the same time. this is why people buy a nice mixer to track the songs to the computer. it allows you to have all you equiptment hooked up to a midi device, sequence the midi in cubasis or what ever, and hear all of the parts playing while being able to record at the same time.

midi is the language your synth and sequencer speek to tell the keyboard what note to play. the audio must also be connected in the manner i have described in order to be functional for recording and listening or "monitoring". hope this helps, read your documentation, as you may be able to direct monitor on your card. this allows the audio to go in and come right back out for monitoring without having to travel through the software driver and back out.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)