aaa no way... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: no way...

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             07-Apr-03  @  02:11 PM   -   no way...

Maarten

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

.. should these parts be sooo quiet for soo long  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             07-Apr-03  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: no way...

milan

have you sorted your 303 problem yet, m?

Message 3/16             07-Apr-03  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: no way...

Maarten

Well, it sorted itself actually.. that was just for like two/three days after not having touched the 303 for some time. I think it was telling me something there & then  

Anyway, when I get the chance (read : get off my ass) I'll have it checked out just to be sure... cause the reason I also shouted in here is : I still am smitten with this thing and know for certain it will get accompanied by a second one within a year or so. One three-o-three just doesn't always cut it. Not too long ago I took it to my mate's place who has one aswell and to freak with two machines (one as low-end bassline, one as screaming lead) is plain wicked aciiid. hehe..

Message 4/16             07-Apr-03  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: no way...

milan

you wont have enough hands then. unless you can make your cats jump on them or something.

been ages since i saw you in the chat...

Message 5/16             07-Apr-03  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: no way...

Maarten

Yeah, I've been doing much of the music thing lately. + Yesterday I dropped in for some time, I logged off an hour later cause it was sooo quiet. Of course, only later did I realise I was in #deetee  

Message 6/16             08-Apr-03  @  01:50 AM   -   RE: no way...

Boo

Link?:  Link

I love my 3oh3.   I really hope there is a full-on acid revival soonish. I want to hear some new hard acid stuff. I can only play this stay up forever/true love stuff for so long before I get bored.

Do you have a midi sync? I'm hoping to get a conversion done this year.

Message 7/16             08-Apr-03  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: no way...

a.d.d.

Link?:  No link

just get a 777. 90% of the 303 sound plus a whole lot more. midi in, out and cv in, out for gate, filter and note. even works as a midi/cv converter. all for less than another 303.

Message 8/16             08-Apr-03  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: no way...

Maarten

yeah I know.. but no patch memory and more importantly, not that sequencer.

Message 9/16             08-Apr-03  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: no way...

Boo

I've borrowed my friend's 777 and I can't get it to sound like a real 303 for the life of me. Actually, running it through a distortion pedal kinda masks the sound and could fool some people, but those kind of people can be fooled by anything going through distortion and having it's cutoff tweaked.

The 777 just doesn't 'bubble' like a real 303 does. And Maarten is right about the sequencer. It's just not the same.

Message 10/16             09-Apr-03  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: no way...

a.d.d.

yeah it can't do the square wave perfectly. its good at low freqs but when you raise the pitch it might as well be a basstation or something. i think the sawtooth is dead on though. somebody ran both a 777 and a 303 through an oscilloscope and funny enough the 303 only puts out a square wave at low freqs. up high it shifts to a trapezoid and eventually almost a triangle. obviously this "feature" wasn't emulated on the 777. when i think of what midi to cv converters cost though i just chuckle to myself. cheapest one i've seen was that doepfer one for $200. i only paid $500 for my 777. anyway to each his own...

Message 11/16             09-Apr-03  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: no way...

a.d.d.

oh, and i think the sequencer rocks. its just the note entry method that sucks(what were they thinkin'?). other than that little foible its 10x better than the 303's.

Message 12/16             09-Apr-03  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: no way...

Maarten

OK, I've never used a 777... but you can't go saying that the seq. is better. Roland had fucked up with the 303's sequencer but they fucked up with luck on their(+my?)side. I can hardly imagine that FR have succesfully emulated the seq of the 303 (it's quality is based on a mistake, a technical fuck-up, and if indeed they havn't you could only comment that it's different- better?.. doubtfull. But hey, 'better' is pretty much related to taste in this case...
Don't get me wrong, I'm enough of a gearwhore to want a 777 for sure. But if I would be on stage (regardless of the sequencer) I don't want to be screwing around with those 30+ knobs to have a 303 emulated the way it should... the audience would have walked away hearing the rest loop for so long.  

Soooo as I was saying... first a 2nd 303, then we'll see. It's only a matter of time that my gf will knock my teeth out if I come home with much more equipment.

Message 13/16             09-Apr-03  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: no way...

a.d.d.

can the 303 write patterns and change loop points during playback? can it transpose patterns up or down 36 half-steps? can it shift a pattern forward or backward while playing? don't get me wrong, i'm not dissing the 303 at all, the 777 doesn't replace it.

Message 14/16             09-Apr-03  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: no way...

Maarten

I know.. just enjoying this discussion ;). cv-gate mod would be helpfull too on a second one... maybe a doepfer maq16/3 hooked up to it.. yum. But again, the one I have now will not get any holes screwed into it- no way.

Message 15/16             09-Apr-03  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: no way...

Digital Dick

Who cares about 303's. Sounds soooo 1994. Dance music has moved on from Hardfloor/acid lines. Did you not realise?

Message 16/16             09-Apr-03  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: no way...

Maarten

Ohh kewl, more discussion, thank you!  
You're exactly right, music has moved on... it has moved on long since the TR drummachines started to get used aswell.But only a troll would say that you are allowed to do only one certain 'thing' with what remains to be an instrument.

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot