aaa Why I'm Over The Virus - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Why I'm Over The Virus

Viewing all 37 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/37             16-Apr-03  @  04:05 PM   -   Why I'm Over The Virus

A Hater

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've tried, I swear to god I've tried. But, I just don't like The Virus anymore. I have a Virus B and I'm just not convinced by it anymore. I think its great for Trance and possibly Jungle. The Virus is amazing for pads but that's it! Ask it to do some housey sounding stuff like nice, warm keyboard type sounds and it fails in my book. I don't rate it for bass either!

"YOU FOOL" I hear you cry. "YOU'VE probably never tweaked a preset" I hear you mutter. Thing is I have delved deep into the virus but just can't come up with anything that sits in the mix.

I'm not some newbie either. I've had 10 house tracks out over 2.5 years. One even got played on Pete Tongs show on radio one, late last year.

I'm selling it this weekend. I'll just stick to soft synths from now on.

Goodbye Access - you were a waste of £800. See ya!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/37             16-Apr-03  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

influx

Link?: Link

what a fucking LAME post. why bother? so you dont like it?

you ARE high as fuck, but WHO CARES? GET OVER YOURSELF

Message 3/37             16-Apr-03  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Steve Roughley

Aaiit! 'Tis a little sad. Kinda begs the question though, if one is after keys, why buy a Virtual Analog Synthesiser?

Ohhh... I dunno...

Steve.

Message 4/37             17-Apr-03  @  05:18 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

influx

"I'm not some newbie either. I've had 10 house tracks out over 2.5 years. One even got played on Pete Tongs show on radio one, late last year. "

what a fucking JOKE

Message 5/37             17-Apr-03  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

k

My virus was ok doing trance & drum & bass, but then I went to do some house... and it all went 'pete tong' !

yup! - why not JUST ADD another synth to just compLiment the VIRUS?... cos if you got rid of it and got a more 'keyboard' synth you'd then NOT be able to do stuff on THAT which the virus could do... but it'll be too late - the virus would be gone then

It's best to have at least one of each type of synth sound in your studio wether hard or soft ware

Message 6/37             17-Apr-03  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

the virus can do almost anything outside of fm
synthesis. flat out. pads, bass, fx, analogish drums.

and the virus has been proven time and time again that
it CAN do "housey sounding stuff like nice, warm
keyboard type sounds"

look on the access page and look at all the fucking
awards it won this year.

http://www.access-music.de/

Message 7/37             17-Apr-03  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

99devils

At the same time there's definately characters to different synths. You can get a great bass a little easier out of the Nord, and you can wrangle pads out of the Novas a little easier, but none of them match the Virus for hard, edgy shit.

I use the Virus for all sorts of things, and it'll do great pads and basses.. I wasn't bitching when it was all I had  

-Craig

Message 8/37             17-Apr-03  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Apples N. Oranges

I've tried, I swear to god I've tried. But, I just don't like bananas anymore. I have a banana and I'm just not convinced by it anymore. I think its great in cereal and possibly for yogurt. bananas are amazing for breads but that's it! Ask it to do some chutney-type stuff and it fails in my book. I don't rate it for smoothies either!

"YOU FOOL" I hear you cry. "YOU'VE probably never peeled a banana" I hear you mutter. Thing is I have delved deep into the fruit but it just sits in my stomach.

I'm not so picky either. I've had all sorts of fruits and vegetables over 2.5 years. One even got peeled on Pete Tongs show on radio one, late last year.

I'm selling them this weekend. I'll just stick to peaches from now on.

Goodbye Bananas - you were a waste of $1.48. See ya!

Message 9/37             18-Apr-03  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Scorpion

Hahaha Apples N. Oranges

Anyways Isnt House music just simply a 4/4 funky Techno style gener with piano riffs and female Volcals?

Dude if you dont own a keyboard with Piano sounds I recomend them. Especially for House music. Sorry if im wrong. Im not to brushed up on House.

But anyways. The fact that the Virus can do Techno and Trance including D&B it should also do some fine House sounds too. I tell you what if you cant find a good house sound out of the Virus then mabey your looking for something that the Virus cant deliver. Like a piano sound. But what uh minute. The Virus can do some decent Organ sounds and Im sure Organ sounds are used in House music too. But what am I talking about. I dont know what sound your after.

Dont let me discourage you from selling your Virus. If its not for you then its not for you. But just becuase you say you cant House on the Virus doesnt mean the Virus is bad at house music.

Oh BTW why did you post here? What you said is is basically telling people your selling the Virus becuase it cant house they way you like it.

I could understand it if you were selling the Virus and your sking offers. But you didnt you simply came here to tell us how dissapointed you are with the Virus.

Not too many people posted here but so far it looks like everybody is disagreeing with you about the Virus not being good at House music.

Im not to up to speed on House music but it looks like everyone else listens to a different house then your are.

PS use the Random Generator. It just may find sound you may like. And no synth should be with out a Random Generator. Its one of the coolest options on a synth IMHO.

Message 10/37             18-Apr-03  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

influx

hell I dont give a shit what kind of sounds it can or cant do I just think it was a LAME post

Message 11/37             19-Apr-03  @  05:47 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

psylichon

I'm not a "house" guy, so can you tell me what kind of sounds you're missing out on? If it's organ and electric piano sounds you're going for, pretty much any VA will do those with aplomb.

I have trouble getting my Nova NOT to sound like an organ or electric piano. Now, I know the virus is "harder" an' all that, but geez dude. Throw some Chorus or Leslie plugin on it and quit bitching. You know it's the "indian" and not the "arrow".

Yeah, i been drinking, so what? Why do I even read these forums??  

psy

Message 12/37             19-Apr-03  @  07:19 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

influx

cuz you need something to bitch about when you been drinkin?;)

Message 13/37             19-Apr-03  @  11:12 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

swanofnever

or better yet, why not make something house-LIKE, but with fresh/weird sounds instead of the usual cliches?

a month or two ago i heard a few tracks off [some dude from montreal]'s album, ALL tracks made using ONLY tiny snippets (<1sec) from random radio stations, and -- it was REALLY good. like, good, groovin music. very catchy, not pretentious, and new/good.

it wasn't typical house, but it would definitely get played at house-playing places.

raigan

Message 14/37             21-Apr-03  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

scrotalsack

this thread is so *ballsack*

i had to sell my beloved vB for money to the taxman....
and ive been a sad little camper ever since.  

Message 15/37             22-Apr-03  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

A Hater

What on earth do you lot know about house music?

I mean, I bet nobody here on this post could list some current "up-to-date", "cutting edge" house producers.

Carry on with your trance and jungle music.

Message 16/37             22-Apr-03  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

k

ewwwwwwwwwwww.... (holds out pink handbag!)

Message 17/37             22-Apr-03  @  11:26 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Steve Roughley

Ooohhh... DEAR!

Steve.

Message 18/37             22-Apr-03  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

A Hater

See!!!! I told you!!! Bah!!! I am the greatest virus hater in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stick with your virus you "epic" heads.

ps - I'm just too organic.

Message 19/37             22-Apr-03  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Broken Silence

i have two words for you:

FUCK. OFF.

and no one cares if you can't tweak for shit/ know nothing about synthesis. go cry somewhere else.

Message 20/37             22-Apr-03  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

A Hater

I know that an Osc generates a waveform that gets shaped by a filter that gets passed through an amplitude envelope.

As I said, I'm just too god damn organic, man!

ps - all trolls hate trance.

Message 21/37             22-Apr-03  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

influx

and PPS, EVERYONE hates YOU now, you smug fuck.

Message 22/37             22-Apr-03  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

psylichon

influx, why respond at all after a ps like that? Take a hint!

Message 23/37             22-Apr-03  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

knowa

Link?:  Link

swan:

akufen is his name. very fun

Cher's "Do You Believe" established her as the edge-cuttingest houser ever in the history of time since the 1970's.

Message 24/37             22-Apr-03  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

knowa

I meant to add ^

http://shop.force-inc.com/jump.php4?aid=MP080

Message 25/37             23-Apr-03  @  08:13 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

A Hater

I thought the good thing about americans on DT was that they DID understand sarcasim. Obviously not. Oh well, off to dogsonacid.com.

Message 26/37             06-May-03  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Pongoid

Ok, I can tell you some smokin house producer. Jaswho?

He's bad ass, and he plays it live.

Another cat on the serious up-and-coming is Bradelectro, and guess what? He uses a Virus, and...it's sounds like house to me.... Still, if this dude's not sure, then mybe he should look for a Fantom. I GUARANTEE he'll be able to find some sounds he can tweek to taste and make some house with. It's cool. Not my taste, but if easy house sounds are what he wants...there they are, and no bones about it.

Ape

Message 27/37             07-May-03  @  12:22 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

jp

i think this was a troll's post. no one who owns a virus and makes house music has any complaints about the virus. it's dope.

Message 28/37             07-May-03  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

A Hater

Never heard of Jaswho? Or Brad Electro. Very odd cos all the top house producers who's website's I visited (and who list their studio kitlist) DON'T list a virus. Now if we're talking about the Korg ms2000, that's a different matter. But no, for house (apart from pads) the virus doesn't work. Only my opinion though.

Message 29/37             07-May-03  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

anna

Brett Johnson uses a virus.

Message 30/37             07-May-03  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

jp

i use a virus. you can check out my new record on www.groovetech.com. do a search for jp soul or roam recordings.

Message 31/37             07-May-03  @  09:27 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Broken Silence

why did you buy it then?

Message 32/37             08-May-03  @  05:10 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

who the fuck even cares at this point?

Message 33/37             08-May-03  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Pongoid

I have a friend who was going to Berklee College of Music for a while. He tested through his firt three years in his first few months there. To this day, he's still one of the most amazing musicians I've ever met, heard, seen, etc. I remember asking him when I last caught up with him "So who are you listening to these days..?" He replied "If you've heard of them, they're not the ones." I'm not calling anybody the top or the best, but the names I mentioned are some smokin cats. If you don't believe it, check'em out. Being as big as Oakenfold, or Digweed does not make one great. Just cuz folks call you 'top' doesn't make you even good. It just means that you have good marketing, distro, and can get folks to buy your shit.

Hater, you want house? They ain't using an MS2000 either. They're using Moog, SCI, Hammond, Rhodes, and old Roland gear. If Louie Vega needs some hammond played, you think he just pulls it off of a sample CD or out of some new box? Hell no, it's either off of an old record of the real deal, or he'll have somebody play the shit. Junior, and Danny too. Cummon dude. Most of the REAL dope shit though, I'll bet you ain't heard of, cuz the best house was almost always on white lables, and they just don't make shit like they used to. Newer house, for the most part sux. Not too many peeps out there droppin good shit, but if you dig, you'll find some. Chances are, it don't matter WHAT gear they're using, cuz the magic ain't in the boxes.

"What is the strength of the sword next to the hand that wields it?"

Ape

Ape

Message 34/37             08-May-03  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

psylichon

When was your friend at Berklee?

"...who was going to Berklee College of Music for a while"

That means either A. He was actually really good and got a gig before finishing or B. Couldn't afford it anymore.

If you actually finish Berklee, you're not good enough to succeed. Lurvly old joke there...

mr. tangential

Message 35/37             08-May-03  @  11:21 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

A Hater

I Lose.

Message 36/37             16-May-03  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

Broken Silence

you still there a hater? if you wanna get rid of your virus, i may have a proposition for you...

Message 37/37             04-Jun-03  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: Why I'm Over The Virus

man called clay

well...finally got my a~

sho is purdy to me>

Viewing all 37 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)