aaa Pre-recorded FX or bring em with? - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             22-Jun-03  @  06:07 AM   -   Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Influx

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Well, over here in my endless mulling over of the concept of playing live instead of just getting out and doing it, Im debating on what solution I would like to use as far as a mixer goes

I have a 1402 and a VM3100 Pro...

Im trying to decide if I would rather just use the mackie for simplicity and a little crunch if needed and maybe have a couple effects boxes on sends

or

use the VM3100, and use the FX there.

both have limited inputs, but I dont think I need all that many, but..the roland is known for being a bit confusing so I wonder if its risky to bring something that could fail or cause head scratching at the wrong moment...

anyone?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             22-Jun-03  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

spinback

Link?:  No link

dunno, id just go for the one you know best (which id imagine the mackie)

if your a one man show then playing/twisting the fx by hand could end up having you using every limb available as apposed to automation with the roland (if it does that, not hot on mixers   ) but i spose that brings in the spont/creativeness innit!

ive seen/been part in quite a few live P.A's and behind the scenes checkin set-ups with the djing last few years and i dunno about the bigger acts/your fav's but most of the ones ive had a look at keep the effects to a minimum anyway -

-like you say, just 1 or 2 effects running thru a big analouge desk, ive noticed that depending on how clued up the audience is can determine what kind/ and how heavy to go with the effect. like, what you think is a wicked twisting effect has the peeps up the back of the hall thinking the speakers are burst type thing.

anyway, yeah- id just go with the first one- bit of crunch and a few twists on an external effects unit/s - cant go much wrong there no?

spinback

Message 3/17             23-Jun-03  @  04:44 AM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

errata

I'd use the mackie, but I personaly like as much control as I can get oon stage, the mckies will let you do multiple effect amounts

e

Message 4/17             23-Jun-03  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

truthy

one man dance music doen't work live! Props for trying though! More than I've done.

Message 5/17             23-Jun-03  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

errata

How do you know, if you haven't tryed?

I've played live alone on stage several times... It's easier with someone else, not not necessary.

e

Message 6/17             23-Jun-03  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Influx

uh...a DJ is just one man, so...why not?

I mean..I can play most of the stuff I program as far as keys go, and...

no. I beg to differ. I think it can work just fine.

and Im leaning toward the simplicity of the mackie. The options in the roland are appealing, but...too many menus etc, probaby wouldnt get used

Message 7/17             23-Jun-03  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

errata

exactly Influx. I personaly have no taste for menus when I'm playing out! You really want as much as possible right in front of you and easy to control!

Too many menus means you're going through the motions of playing back what you did in the studio! A lot of FLEMs do this because they won't/can't take the time to know their gear and get good with it! But if you do, your set will be 10 times the alternative!

e

Message 8/17             23-Jun-03  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Influx

yeah but you can "sequence" the mix on the VM, too...but...I guess that would just be PLAYBACK

I dunno..maybe holmes is right about the flyin solo thing...just too much?

Message 9/17             23-Jun-03  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

errata

It would just be playback! So I say, Don't do it! Get your mixes down to their smallest constituents and "Play" your sequencer. Make it different every time! Respond to your audience...

Good example, the crowd's going apeshit over some bit you've got moving, YOU KNOW that if you drop it out now you're dropping them, but here comes the breakdown in your track! And, well you drop 'em cause you haven't got a choice. Next thing you know the kids are gettin' water, and you're bobbing your head with a coupl'a people on the dancefloor!

Or the night I saw Ape play out. The cops came, it was all cool but the volume had to come down a bit, and they came down with it, a little dub and some mellower tracks, just for a few, when the sound went back up, so did the music.

You'll be sorry if you tie your hands with what you think will be good live while you're in the studio, alone!

Oh, and HELL YES it's work!!!! All musicians have to practice endlessly, and work out all the hitches if they want to sound good on stage. Why the f+ck do electronic musicians think it's different for them?

e

Message 10/17             23-Jun-03  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Influx

actually, its MORE workd 

I wasnt complaining...

Message 11/17             23-Jun-03  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

errata

yeah, it totaly is more work... but, once you're playing out, and all that work is bearing fruit... there's nothing like it!

e

Message 12/17             23-Jun-03  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Influx

yup, and thats what I want...just the sheer fun and power of working it, LOUD

Message 13/17             24-Jun-03  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

truthy

How long is your live set gonna last dude? Don't think you can compare Live artist sets to DJing. When a "live" act comes on, punters expect an "act". I can't stand producers who sit there and rotate a mixer pot whilst punching the air. Can't you get a diva to sing "reaching up" or "flying on the wings of love"?

Message 14/17             24-Jun-03  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

errata

Ah, I see...

sorry Truthy, I thought you were serious! Guess I'm a bit dense...

e

Message 15/17             24-Jun-03  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Influx

argh

Message 16/17             24-Jun-03  @  11:51 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Pongoid

If you're talking about effects in a board, the answer I'd give is "No fucking way!" But that's me. You are quite right with the menu thing on a mixer. On a sampler, or an out board effects unit, sure, but in the live world, you push one wrong button on some digital thing, and you whole system goes to shit or you sound goes jumpy, or whatever. Your shit doesn't work out right. Your mixer HAS to be the most solid, reliable and instantly adjustable piece of gear in your whole rig. That is the leash on your sound. If one of your pieces goes to shit, you gotta be able to shut that sound of INSTANTLY, and digital anything can glitch out. Analog saturates better, and is just simpler. Simple and immediate are the most important things in a live setting, so you can access whatever you need to instantly especially on a mixer. If you have an effect getting out of hand, like reverb or delay feedback, one turn of a knob that's always in the same place, and it's gone until you can get it under control again.

$.02

BTW, good luck dude. I'm really glad to hear you're getting ready to take it live. It feels long overdue, bro.

Ape

Message 17/17             25-Jun-03  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Pre-recorded FX or bring em with?

Influx

I hear ya ape...exactly my concerns about a digital mixer, especially the little roland which has TONS of menus you gotta get through. Hit one button and it could be PANIC TIME for five minutes!

ok. the roland is out! 

dont get too excited..Im not sure how good this is gonna sound 

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot