aaa So no one uses analog anymore? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: So no one uses analog anymore?

Viewing all 31 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/31             21-Aug-03  @  08:32 PM   -   So no one talks analog anymore?

Tom

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Wassaup?

is it mostly virtual and plugins business these days?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/31             21-Aug-03  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Maarten

Link?: Link

we analog-heads just do not encounter any problems or questions on our machines.. straight-forward warmth   Anyway.. I'm selling my sequential-circuits six-trak + yamaha DX-200, my eye fell on a korg ms-10.. yummy

Message 3/31             25-Aug-03  @  12:22 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Maarten

Forget the ms-10, I won me a Pearl Syncussion sy-1 this morning!  
Guess it's just you and me tom.. heh

Message 4/31             25-Aug-03  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

k

er *cough* - not only but also...

Message 5/31             25-Aug-03  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

milan

heh. how about we leave it for another 10 years and then make another huge comeback? think about it- in the future no one will even know how to turn the beasts on and connect them to a h/w(!!) mixer  

Message 6/31             25-Aug-03  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

milan

but you know what- i think boxes like waldorf's AFB could be the ticket for the future. imagine connecting a rack of ANALOG boxes with a digital cable and have it integrate perfectly with your s/w setup, latency free and all. *gasp*

no?

Message 7/31             25-Aug-03  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Maarten

the AFB is pricey as hell tho.. but yes- I guess that would be nice ;)
btw, where ya been milan? Long time no speak

-M-

Message 8/31             25-Aug-03  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Tom

Hmm, korg ms-10 - it looks like a cute little synth!

The waldorf filter bank thing looks cool, but who the @#$ needs 16 filters of the same kind. And that is waaay too much money they're asking for it. It would be nice if someone made single filter units of different flavours.

milan, i dont see why you cant do something like you mentioned. Why not connect one of the outputs of your soundcard to an analog filter and feed the input back in.

Tom

Message 9/31             25-Aug-03  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

milan

ya ya... i said "boxes like the afb", not "the afb"

Tom, what i do now: soundcard out->mixer in->mixer out->filter in->filter out->mixer in->mixer out->soundcard in, and not to forget midi out->filter in.

wouldnt it be nice to do it all with just *one* cable!

Marty, see you in the chat like extra quick. sorry about your trip dude.

Message 10/31             25-Aug-03  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Tom

Hmm,

It would be nice to do it with just one cable.
I think i know what youre talking about. Youre thinking some analog box, with digital interface. Just one connection, say USB-2 or whatever. You plug it into your comp, and it shows up as a VST plug.... That'd be cool.

Tom

Message 11/31             25-Aug-03  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

milan

exactly. just like afb  

and one huuuuuuge controll panel with endless dials to control them all!  

Message 12/31             26-Aug-03  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

dubmunkey

kinda, well the bass station and aj1 are my analogue beasts and since getting them have realised how good analogue is so will stay on that track, as well as dipping into fm etc....

but analogue rools- not into softsynths...

greg

Message 13/31             26-Aug-03  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Tom

Hey,

what's aj1??

And yeah, fm is definitelly cool. You can get some interesting sounds out of it.

Tom

Message 14/31             26-Aug-03  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

k

alpha juno ?

Message 15/31             14-Sep-03  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Maarten

File?:  File

example_SY1.mp3

Got the syncussion in working condition now.. yummy! 2 channels.. 6 osc modes per channel, check example for small recording of one of the osc modes for the BD's. hmmm.. dirty kicks   no compression, no FX.

Message 16/31             14-Sep-03  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Maarten

File?:  File

example_SY1_2.mp3

crazy clicks n bleeps on a different osc mode than above...

Message 17/31             15-Sep-03  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

milan

pwooaar! nasty kicks!

Message 18/31             15-Sep-03  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Broken Silence

Dude my dog is FREAKING out

Message 19/31             16-Sep-03  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Pongoid

ALL of those computer based boxes have latency, INCLUDING the AFB. Even if it's only a few milliseconds, when you stick it next to an analog box in a mix, you'll hear it. Imagine you have a 909 rockin, and you put the kick into the mix, but you want to send some to the AFB or some other digital thing...when it gets back, you get this wierd effect, like a flange. Why? Because ALL digital equipment has some latency. That's just the nature of digital. You can play with all-pass filters and get things to time align that way, if you're being meticulous, but that shit is HARD and a pain in the ass. That's nother reason why analog rocks: zero latency. ZERO. Mmmmmm analog. Analog synths, analog board, analog compression, analog EQ, andalog drum machines, more analog synths soon. Yummy.

Ape

Message 20/31             17-Sep-03  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

j-type

Link?:  Link

never used digital FX boxes, then? ;)

Message 21/31             17-Sep-03  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

Analog? Why, yes. Moog Liberation, Sequential Multi-Trak & Max, Ensoniq SQ80, Crumer Bit01, and Korg EX800. Of course, I haven't touched em in about two months. Sad? Perhaps, but they needed a rest.

Message 22/31             18-Sep-03  @  03:14 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Tom

Oh man, how can you just let them rest like that!

its a shame.

Tom

Message 23/31             18-Sep-03  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Broken Silence

Ahhhh! Ferret on the nova!

Message 24/31             20-Sep-03  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Pongoid

Usre I've used loads of digital effects boxes, and if you run any of the dry signal with the wet one then you will hear a slight flange or delay in the sound as a result of processing, even if it's measured in milliseconds. None of that in analog. Both have their places and can be used effectively.

Ape

Message 25/31             30-Sep-03  @  02:39 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Boo

Link?:  Link

I've just hooked up my Prophet 5 into Logic and I'm loving it. Planning on getting my 303 modified before the end of the year.

Analogue is still lovely, but digital is getting better and is more convienient.

I'm finding myself writing basslines on my laptop using virtual synth plugins and then taking it into the studio and outputting the midi into my Prophet and tweaking it until it sounds right. I then dump the virtual synth and just use a loop recorded off the P5.

Love the sizzle.

Message 26/31             30-Sep-03  @  07:48 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Maarten

Prophet 5? ewwwwaiii- make me jealous!   nice

Message 27/31             16-Oct-03  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

panama

all analog (synths) here. sooo warm and easy to compose with. i always use em over the digitals.

Message 28/31             16-Oct-03  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

k

hmmmmm  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 29/31             17-Oct-03  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

R.A.T.

Yeh right....sorry to disagree.

I've got real analog, and love it. But digital is cool too.

Horses for courses mate.... anything that makes a sound is cool. It's what you do with it.

Message 30/31             17-Nov-03  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Defector Z

What about integration of digital and analog in the Evolver style? Does it have to be one or the other or can we comingle?

Message 31/31             17-Nov-03  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: So no one uses analog anymore?

Tom

We can comigle. whatever that means.

evolver looks cool. Definitelly nice to see a unique synth instead of another real analog or analog emulatotator. joo know.

tom

Viewing all 31 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot