aaa Osc pitch separation... when? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Osc pitch separation... when?

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             30-Aug-03  @  09:41 AM   -   Osc pitch separation... when?

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I often find myself using the semitone separation of the oscillators to add depth and character to my sounds. The only problem being that, if the sound is not a pad or strings, as soon as I drop said sounds into a mix and play more than one note, the separation causes the sound to appear out of key. I tried for so long to make such sounds work, but gave up some time ago. Now that I have started messing about alot more, I'd like to get the sounds to work.

I'm sure that there must be some basic facet of music theory that I am missing here, but I don't know what it is. Its been too long since my piano days.

Any pointers are welcome.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             31-Aug-03  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: Osc pitch separation... when?

queasy00

Link?:  Link

well.. if you have two osc with one osc playing X semitones offset the other (essentially two notes) then you're playing bridges right?

so then everytime you hit one note your actually hitting two notes and if you hit two keys then that's four notes. depending on your offset you mgiht be playing a whole bunch of notes that you weren't expecting to be playin'.

hope i got that right  

-j

Message 3/4             31-Aug-03  @  03:35 PM     Edit: 31-Aug-03  |  03:36 PM   -   RE: Osc pitch separation... when?

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

Cheers for the reply mate. I had a feeling that that might be the case, but it made the resulting necessary complexity of tracks using these sounds a little too extreme for me (esp when using 3 oscs), so I was hoping that there might be some other stuff going on there. So I suppose that when I use these pitch-separated-sounds, I will just have to take a lot more into account when adding other sounds.

Arrgghh! I've been learning all my life and I'm getting tired. Sometimes I wish I could just wire a synth into my brain and have learning done away with. :P

Regards.

Steve.

Message 4/4             31-Aug-03  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: Osc pitch separation... when?

queasy00

Link?:  Link

hi..

sometimes it sounds cool though, you just need to emphasize the main note that you're after. either turn the second oscillator down (in volume) a bit OR manually program that note in. if you manaullay program the ntoe in then it's you can pick and choose (sort of) when you want the "second" oscillator. it's a lot of work but it's worth it can be very worht it.

doing this gives you a nice bit of dissonance... --it's that feeling where when you listen to the same phrase over agian it sounds slightly different.

-j

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)